Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcomer Degree Planning Advice
Hi there! Thanks to the creators of this forum, I was spending a few days here, and I regret I didn't find it previously, so much valuable information, and so many providers I didn't know before (Study, Sophia, LawShelf). First, I was thinking of PMing such experienced users as ashkir or bjcheung77 and asking for a private commercial consultation, but I finally found this thread, so long story short. (But if ashkir or cheung are able to do so - I would highly appreciate it lol  Big Grin )

I am from a Post-Soviet country and just moved and became a PR of Canada this year. As everybody knows, when you are moving to North America, you are starting from 0. So, I am looking for possible options for getting into online JD starting from 0. 

Location: Canada. The anticipated date of getting citizenship and being able to travel to the US visa-free is mid-2026;

What kind of degree do I want?: Something from Justice (LLB, Law Science, Criminal Justice, National Security etc.) which allows me to apply to online JD programs (like Northwestern California University School of Law);

Current Regional Accredited Credits: I don't have anything, I will show you my previous history, which is more likely not to be evaluated and invaluable here in North America due to some factors:

2014-2018 - Bachelor of Law in local Private University
2021-2023 - 2-year Postgraduate Diploma in Law in local Postgrad school
2023 - I enrolled in ENEB (and found this forum, BTW), but it's more just to logically finish my previous history with a Master's, which can get a WES Evaluation for Canada and Validential for the US;

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: Nothing;

Any certifications or military experience? Nothing;

Budget: I don't have anything saved up as of today, but it's not a problem, I have some options and sources where I can potentially generate some cash to pay my tuition.  I want to go the cheapest route possible (like the LawShelf multi-course pack) but will consider spending more for easy and fast;  

Commitments: I have kids and a spouse, I currently work part-time and can work on my studies part-time in the evenings/weekends;

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed, I would say 15-20 hours per week is good for now. 

Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the Bachelor's degree as fast as possible would be ideal. I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: If a school listed here: https://tools.canlearn.ca/cslgs-scpse/cl...name=inter , I can get a grant + 0% interest credit for study.

So, TLDR is: I want to get a Bachelor's degree cheap and fast, and regionally accredited (preferably in Justice) to apply for a JD. It would be better if I get one in 1-1.5 years. Angel
Many online JD schools are going to have issues with the BAR/accreditation in most states, not sure this affects you in Canada. The school does fit the right person though, but it does box you in so to speak. Many of these CA approved schools don't allow you to practice outside of CA.

What's your route to citizenship? I know a decent amount about PR, visas, and the path to citizenship. It's not easy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • Nemfis
(09-17-2023, 10:00 AM)Duneranger Wrote: Many online JD schools are going to have issues with the BAR/accreditation in most states, not sure this affects you in Canada. Many of these CA approved schools don't allow you to practice outside of CA.

Whats your route to citizenship? I know a decent amount about PR, visas, and the path to citizenship. It's not easy.

You are right. 

Regarding Canada, it will require an additional 2 years in class (instead of 4 years).

And I think if it's an accredited CA school (Which NCU School of Law is), there are some options for transferring it after a few years of being licensed in CA (and yes, I know that the CA Bar Exam is the hardest in the US). 

I am a PR, I need to live 3 years before citizenship application.
(09-17-2023, 10:08 AM)maruf.mahmudoff Wrote: And I think if it's an accredited CA school (Which NCU School of Law is), there are some options for transferring it after a few years of being licensed in CA (and yes, I know that the CA Bar Exam is the hardest in the US). 

When a policy describes an accredited U.S. law school, accredited often means ABA accredited. Further, when a policy describes an accredited U.S. degree-granting institution, accredited often means regionally accredited, and sometimes either regionally accredited or nationally institutionally accredited by a recognized national agency. NWCU is not accredited in any of those senses.

The Canadian authorities might consider NWCU to be unaccredited. You should confirm specifically with Canadian authorities whether a U.S. law school without ABA accreditation, without regional accreditation, and without recognized national accreditation will be acceptable towards Canadian bar admission by virtue of State Bar of California accreditation alone. You should also confirm with the Canadian authorities whether distance study would be acceptable. When I looked at Canadian bar admission rules years ago there was a rule against predominantly distance study.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Nemfis
(09-17-2023, 10:22 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(09-17-2023, 10:08 AM)maruf.mahmudoff Wrote: And I think if it's an accredited CA school (Which NCU School of Law is), there are some options for transferring it after a few years of being licensed in CA (and yes, I know that the CA Bar Exam is the hardest in the US). 

When a policy describes an accredited U.S. law school, accredited often means ABA accredited. Further, when a policy describes an accredited U.S. degree-granting institution, accredited often means regionally accredited, and sometimes either regionally accredited or nationally institutionally accredited by a recognized national agency. NWCU is not accredited in any of those senses.

The Canadian authorities might disregard California bar accreditation, regional accreditation, and national institutional accreditation other than ABA (e.g., DEAC). You should confirm specifically with Canadian authorities whether a U.S. law school without ABA accreditation, without regional accreditation, and without recognized national accreditation will be acceptable towards Canadian bar admission by virtue of State Bar of California accreditation alone. You should also confirm with the Canadian authorities whether distance study would be acceptable. When I looked at Canadian bar admission rules years ago there was a rule against predominantly distance study.

Thank you very much for your input. 

I am aware that the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) is accepting US Online schools, and I know that, for example, Taft Law School alumnus can practice in Canada after 2-years of in-class studies. NCA's policy requires a qualifying law degree, and a qualifying law degree is "... a degree would allow you to practise law in the jurisdiction where you studied, if you successfully completed the bar admission process", which both - Taft and NCU is allowing you to do so in their jurisdictions.

So, after assessing your education by NCA, they will usually assign you two years of additional study, allowing you to sit for the provincial bar exam afterwards. 

P.S. - Taft Law School is also listed as a Designated Learning Institution, which is eligible for grants.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nemfis's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
That's good news, though two additional years, which might mean full-time equivalent, of on-campus study would be nearly redoing a law degree.
  • Nemfis
(09-17-2023, 11:26 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: That's good news, though two additional years, which might mean full-time equivalent, of on-campus study would be nearly redoing a law degree.

I 100% agree, but it's 2 years, not 4, and it's still way cheaper and no LSAT. And finally, why can't I also focus on CA bar exam to have a Californian Lawyer license as well?  Wink

I have a few priorities here: 1) Personal achievement of obtaining a JD; 2) Getting a Californian license, and the last 3) Continuing studies in Canada. 

So, a 4 year 4K$ study option on my own path it's still good for my purposes.
(09-17-2023, 09:03 AM)maruf.mahmudoff Wrote: As everybody knows, when you are moving to North America, you are starting from 0. So, I am looking for possible options for getting into online JD starting from 0. 

Current Regional Accredited Credits: I don't have anything, I will show you my previous history, which is more likely not to be evaluated and invaluable here in North America due to some factors:

I don't think "everybody knows" this to be true at all.  When you're an international student, and you have a bachelor's degree from another country, you are not starting at 0 at all - you have a bachelor's degree.

I personally think you should find out if your bachelor's degree is considered "legal" (or maybe another term might be better) in Canada, and then you don't have to spend any time/money getting ANOTHER bachelor's degree.  I honestly don't see why you'd want to do this if you don't have to.

If you want to go to NCU, just go there and get your JD.

If you really think you have to get a bachelor's, you can always just get a BLS at UMPI.  Most US law schools don't require a specific degree to get in.  Literally anything will work.  If you really think a different degree would be better, the most common choices are History, PoliSci or English from UMPI.  Those will all get you an RA bachelor's degree with graded credits, which is all you need.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Nemfis
(09-17-2023, 12:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-17-2023, 09:03 AM)maruf.mahmudoff Wrote: As everybody knows, when you are moving to North America, you are starting from 0. So, I am looking for possible options for getting into online JD starting from 0. 

I don't think "everybody knows" this to be true at all.  When you're an international student, and you have a bachelor's degree from another country, you are not starting at 0 at all - you have a bachelor's degree.

I personally think you should find out if your bachelor's degree is considered "legal" (or maybe another term might be better) in Canada, and then you don't have to spend any time/money getting ANOTHER bachelor's degree.  I honestly don't see why you'd want to do this if you don't have to.

If you want to go to NCU, just go there and get your JD.

If you really think you have to get a bachelor's, you can always just get a BLS at UMPI.  Most US law schools don't require a specific degree to get in.  Literally anything will work.  If you really think a different degree would be better, the most common choices are History, PoliSci or English from UMPI.  Those will all get you an RA bachelor's degree with graded credits, which is all you need.

First of all, I want to have some basic knowledge, and that's why I want a US degree. My bachelor's is from a totally different law system, and I believe it's worthless here with a bunch of non-necessary subjects which are still there from the Soviet Union. 

Second - that's also the marketing part, in case of successful graduation and CA bar exam approval, I do prefer my background to have a US Bachelor's Degree, than Kazakhstan, for example. 

So, I really want to get a US Degree, and then move forward to the JD.

Regarding UMPI, I see they have a Criminal Justice program. Could you please tell me, if you know, do they accept any transfer credit from providers like LawShelf, Sophia, Study?
(09-17-2023, 11:31 AM)maruf.mahmudoff Wrote: I 100% agree, but it's 2 years, not 4, and it's still way cheaper and no LSAT.

2 years not 3. A Canadian JD to enter the profession of law is 3 academic years, and usually 3 calendar years FT.

One possible choke point in the plan: You know it's hard to get a seat in a Canadian law school JD program. They strictly review LSAT and academic and professional histories, and many impressive applicants fail to get a seat.

Could you similarly be unable to get a seat in a Canadian law school post-graduate program for foreign-trained candidates? Could your prospective Canadian law school say sure, the NCA and provincial law society permit Calbar-only schools, but our university policies consider them non-accredited. Or, because we have many more applicants than seats we elect to cut candidates from consideration based on standing of their foreign law school.
  • Nemfis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 14 1,015 57 minutes ago
Last Post: Obrajnick
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 2 45 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 4 156 6 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 247 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 230 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 198 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 532 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 2 243 09-15-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 283 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 295 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77