Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie-question about financial aid and tesc
Hi I am new here Confusedeeya:

A little bit about me...
I am a single mom and I work full time- I am the sole provider, so it's really tough..I hope to one day have financial freedom...

I have been dreaming of going back to school for my BA for too many years now and hopefully will be able to finally get my dream going this year!

My main problem is money, I want to do most of my credits through testing but I still need to be enrolled and continue to be eligible for financial aid.

I have decided to go with tesc,.. anyone know how I can 1) go about taking cleps and still be getting financial aid, 2) what are the minimum requirements for staying an enrolled student, and 3) if the tecep tests are just as good as clep? any other advice would be much appreciated! :hurray:

I just filled out the fafsa-what now?
Also I don't have internet - can anyone advise on the cheapest internet out there???

I want to get internet so that I could use the flashcards on this site and for school too - for the required online credits.

If anyone can be so kind as to help me out with the whole financial aid thing and any other advice it would really mean a lot.

Thanks!! Big Grin
I really need some help here, please anyone, I know you don't know me yet but I am really hoping to get this going and could really use your expierence....hopefully I can make some friends here too eventually...
if you plan to take CLEP, DSST, etc exams then there's no need to enroll at TESC and get financial aid. Study and take as many exams as you can first. Period.

Once you enroll you have 6 months to get started or else you need to enroll again. So if you enroll, you better take classes. Financial aid is awarded for SPECIFIC semesters. So if you don't go to class that particular semester you will still get the financial aid you applied for and be responsible for the monthly bill, they will cut you a check for all aid not used towards school. You need to be enrolled in 6 units in order to defer payments on financial aid.

I enrolled at TESC, I'm taking 3 classes right now that I will not be able to test out of. At the same time I just took 2 CLEP exams this week and passed. It's tough, a LOT of studying for the actual classes and the CLEP exams.

As far as internet. I have no idea what's the cheapest in your area. Call your cable provider. You don't need the fastest connection for TESC classes, but I'd still avoid dial up. DSL or cable internet is great for this. But there's no way you can even begin this process withour reliable and continuous internet.

I have a laptop that I can power with internet using my cell phone from Sprint. I plug my cell phone into my laptap via a micro-USP cable...can surf the net for free, anywhere tehre's cell reception. 3G is perfect for this and it costs NOTHING extra per month other than my cell phone bill and internet is included in my plan. Sprint, using an HTC EVO and one free app i downloaded on both the cell and laptop.
Ok the information you provided is extremely helpful! Thank you! Smile
I do want to start taking the clep for 1)english comp 2)math and 3)biology
right away...as far as the rest I plan to take a course starting march hopefully so since it all takes time it's ok. Also i need the financial aid refunds to pay for my cleps and dependant care expenses (if possible) so that I have time to actually study...

Where can I get some inexpensive study material for those cleps I mentioned above?

Also can I start applying for other(like private not government) scholarships etc. before I receive the pell grant or do I need to wait till I am enrolled anyway?

Thanks again so much!!!!!!!!!! cheersmate
Here is some additional information.

To qualify for financial aid, you must be catagorized as at least a part-time student. Part-time status is 6 hours per semester. Full time requires a minimum of 12 hours per semester. More hours are required if you are on the quarters system versus the semester hours system, but TESC is on semesters.

None of the CLEP, DSST, or TESC testing for credit will be paid for by financial aid directly. You can however use your living allowance if you are considered full-time. None of the credit hours granted through testing will count towards your financial aid required hours.

The other zinger is that you must be a degree seeking student that is enrolled in a formalized degree plan. There are a ton of schools out there that offer fantastic distance learning courses (like Colorado State University at Pueblo) but if you are not enrolled in a degree program, FA will not pay for them. If you take courses that are independent study they must be completed during the semester they are funded, or the hours earned will not be used to evaluate your student status. In other words, if your independent study couse allows you up to six months to complete the course, you will not get FA if the course is not completed in the three month semester period that it was started in.

Some schools make FA really complex, while some schools make it easy. I have sent my FA paperwork into TESC, and scheduled to start courses in March of 2011. Up to this point, no one has even contacted me from TESC to follow-up and assit me with enrollment. The calls I have made to TESC FA department go to voicemail, and I have yet to get a return call. On the other hand, CSU Pueblo answers their FA telephone, and provides great support even before you are a registered student.

Your mileage may very.... Feel free to PM me if I can provide any additional assistance.

David
dream mamma Wrote:Ok the information you provided is extremely Where can I get some inexpensive study material for those cleps I mentioned above?
Look at your local community college or public library for the Official CLEP Study Guide. Subscribe to Instacert, utilize the Specific Exam Feedback once you subscribe, use the Petersons practice exams and look at free-clep-prep.com.

You didn't say which degree you are trying to get (unless I missed it). That would be useful to know because it's possible to get a few with just taking exams.
Thanks so much for taking your time to explain so much cauble_txsg!!!!

I am starting to figure all this out now and you have definately clarified A LOT!!

thanks Yenisei too! My intention is to do liberal arts, something really basic with a concentration in Judaism or Hebrew as a foreign language, just to do testing so that I can get credits for what I already know...

Hoping to complete fast, then the hard part will be studying for the courses I will actually need to spend a lot of time studying....for a graduate degree hopefully in physical therapy.
Well if you have completed the FAFSA you are done with the first step. And they should have told you roughly what you will qualify for. I would look for ways to maximize any assistance that does not need to be paid back (ie....GRANTS) and I would avoid student loans like the plague (except very small loans just to tide you over from semester to semester.) Large student loan debt is a great way to saddle yourself with insurmountable burdens that are not dischargeable even in bankruptcy. Be very carefull of the grinning Financial Aid Advisor.

I understand your desire/need to utilize financial aid to get things rolling. The big three (TECS, COSC,EC) may not be the best bet for this. The big three all require advance fee's and fee's each year to continue. This can add up to thousands of dollars that you simply don't need to spend if your in the early stages of college. Also you have to take actual classes to receive financial aid. The big three will cost $800 to $1000 for a 3 hour class ! and to recieve say a full time pell grant you need 4 of these classes ! It adds up quick !

Provided you have less than 60 accumulated credits right now a community college is going to be the far FAR better bargain. Lets look at it:

Say you qualify for a full PELL grant. Thats about $5700 a year. We divide that in two for 2 semesters so you get $2750 a semester to spend. If you chose say COSC (right in the middle cost wise) you get hit with an enrollment fee of $1000 and you still have to register for 12 hours of classes at about $3200 a semester so you would still need to come up with $1450 out of pocket.

Lets apply that same PELL grant to your local Community College (or Clovis CC in New Mexico, or New Mexico Junior College) you will have maybe a $25 application fee and courses run less than $100 per credit. So around $1225 per semester. At the end of the semester you get a check for the difference so you have $1500 or so to spend on CLEP and DANTES tests. Or books or shoes or whatever. (note that clovis and NMJC offer a great deal of classes online and are extraordinarily cheap).

Even when you finish all the introductory courses its gonna be a good idea to matriculate into a 4 year school if possible to keep aquiring affordable credits.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Note also that you can request your FAFSA report to be sent to just about as many schools as you like. That way you can contact the different schools and compare the overall package and costs to decide which one makes the best financial sense for you. (you may have to apply to get this info in some cases).

Here is a link to Clovis CC Financial Aid They are really a great bargain. In fact I believe you can still take 6 hours (2 classes) online for about $175 plus books. For me thats even cheaper than the local CC by about half. And so long as you don't have too many credits right now (less than 60 or so) it could be a full ride financially with cash back to you at the end of the semester.

NMJC is also a phenominal deal, even for out of staters:
http://www.nmjc.edu

As others have mentioned depending on where you are (credit wise) you might be able to pay your own way and test out of a degree in liberal studies. We need to know more about you. You mention needing intro courses then talk about a graduate degree in a science related field......if its physical therapy you are after a lib studies degree might not be best for you.....it all just depends ! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Hi, I didn't have internet access for a while so sorry I didn't reply right away.
I really appreciate all this advice you are giving.
I have a lot I need to explain but I really can't write at the moment.
Will try to explain more when I have a couple of spare minutes.

Appreciate all the help!!
You guys are amazing...

Have a good one!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,598 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  UMPI---Financial aid---??? midnite123 7 430 09-04-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 332 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 244 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,909 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 471 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,941 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,803 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI---Financial aid??? midnite123 4 879 01-15-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: midnite123