Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry
College Math is a lower level of math than College Algebra. College Math is pre-algebra stuff.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
I would advise potential students to do college algebra and intro to stats at Sophia.
College math is a dumbed down version of college algebra. And many universities won't even accept this ACE course for transfer.
Mathematics is foundational for so many different subjects. It is only second to good reading and writing skills. When a person enrolls into a math course, she is investing in skills for the long term. The more you train your math and logic skills the better the performance in a host of business and IT related subjects. So my advice would be to do the harder math courses, and preferably to do more than two courses.
If college math fits your degree plan, great! If it doesn't, it may hit the free electives. I would use it as a learning opportunity to review/relearn and ladder up to the College Algebra course. In regards to the Chemistry course, it doesn't have a lab option does it? If it doesn't, then it can be used as a gen ed without lab, it should hit that spot well...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-29-2022, 02:49 AM)andromeda_galaxy Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 12:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 06:36 AM)path_seeker Wrote: I wish UMPI accepts Math course for 3A

Take College Algebra from Sophia. It fills 3A. College Math won't fill it. They want students to have some math skills. Depending on your major, you may be surprised how often things from algebra and statistics come up. In business classes, you'll see this happen over and over.

But this course looks better than College Algebra.

Define better. College Math is like a remedial math course at many colleges. It won't be accepted at many schools. If you're lucky it may be considered an elective. If one doesn't have a decent amount of experience with math or struggles with math then this is a good stepping stone type of course where you take this course then move onto College Algebra.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Flelm
College Math is generally considered the lowest college-level math: Math 100. It's above Algebra I, since it generally includes quite a bit of Algebra in it. But it generally also doesn't focus on Algebra, and does a lot more "real world" math that you'd use more often, including simple stats, percentages, FVM, things like that.

Many schools DO accept this course; it's the 6th most popular CLEP exam, many thousands of people take that each year.

For many degrees, you don't need College Algebra. So if your school will let you take College Math (or Contemporary Math or Liberal Arts Math or anything like that), go ahead and take whichever math is easiest for you to pass. If you're not sure, then you should certainly go as high as you can.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Ares, jch, Pikachu
A lot of people aren't good at math and may need to work up until they can handle college algebra. I count myself in that group and glad to see Sophia adding a class like this.
Pierpont BOG AAS: AOS Information Systems  - 2019
(01-29-2022, 06:16 PM)echo64 Wrote: A lot of people aren't good at math and may need to work up until they can handle college algebra. I count myself in that group and glad to see Sophia adding a class like this.

Yes, I completed Intro to Applied Math, and College Math for the same reason. Not considering their transferability, they gave a solid refresher to College Algebra, making it easier to cruise through Algebra. Worst case is not getting a credit, best case is transferring as general electives, but nothing to lose.
[-] The following 2 users Like path_seeker's post:
  • echo64, Pikachu
Just finished the intro to college math. It was decent, I guess. Exactly what the title would imply. A little bit of an overview of different types of math, at a basic level. I am new to all of this, compared to a lot of you, but having seen how a “college math” classes transfer from SUNY to California CC systems, I would guess your best option with this class is to take it, then take something higher like algebra, and hope that the higher class meets the requirement, and this class is a free elective (or best case, the other way around). College math from SUNY to CCC transferred in high enough for a local degree (AS or AA) but not high enough for a transfer degree to UC or CSU (AST or AAT). Again, this is ALL speculation from someone who has had to move around a bit and transferred B&M credits around, but is new to what we’re doing here.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
[-] The following 1 user Likes Insert Name's post:
  • neutrino
(01-30-2022, 12:18 AM)path_seeker Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 06:16 PM)echo64 Wrote: A lot of people aren't good at math and may need to work up until they can handle college algebra. I count myself in that group and glad to see Sophia adding a class like this.

Yes, I completed Intro to Applied Math, and College Math for the same reason. Not considering their transferability, they gave a solid refresher to College Algebra, making it easier to cruise through Algebra. Worst case is not getting a credit, best case is transferring as general electives, but nothing to lose.

I think this is what I am going to do.  It has been over 30 years since I've taken a math class, and even then, I had horrible math anxiety.
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS, BOG (Info Systems)---Pierpont Community and Technical College, December 2023
Certificate, Community Health Worker---Berkeley City College, December 2023

Currently: 
BA, Liberal Studies---Thomas Edison State University, (July 2024-present)

Considering:
graduate school someday, once I decide what I want to be when I grow up!

[-] The following 1 user Likes staceydiane's post:
  • Tedium
(02-20-2022, 11:26 AM)staceyelle Wrote: I think this is what I am going to do.  It has been over 30 years since I've taken a math class, and even then, I had horrible math anxiety.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy Sophia makes math, compared to a standard math class. Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 5 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • , jch, sophia UX, ss20ts, Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 397 494,555 09-02-2024, 09:35 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Limited Time 68% Off College Saver at Study.com portals 34 6,518 08-31-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 156 90,450 08-31-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: mvicari
  Organizational Behavior in Sophia Kab 9 610 08-28-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New Sophia Course: Student Succes Kab 3 252 08-28-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 313 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
  Marketing and Criminology on Sophia live homeschoolmom1 18 1,222 08-25-2024, 11:17 AM
  I never did this badly on a Sophia Touchstone before Avidreader 2 428 08-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Proctored Exams Sophia/SL? SebasUSA2024 6 381 08-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: SebasUSA2024
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 411 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee