Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help on Mimicking TrailRunr's double CS/Math Degree
Hi. I'm new to the board and this is my first post, but I've been lurking here for a while. I finally have worked up the courage to go after a degree. In particular I'm interested in mimicking TrailRunr's Cs/Math degree. It'l be a great help if you guys can provide some guidelines on how double majoring at TESU works. How much will such a degree cost? I can't spend more than $4000 on this. I currently have 0 credits. Thanks!! :hurray:
you see that little magnifying glass near the upper right corner ?
next to the text box ?

click in it

you'll end up here
Search Forums - CLEP Forum - CLEP Study - CLEP Testing - Study Guide and Strategies

then in the user name box enter
TrailRunr

and where it says
Show Results as:
choose
then click
search now

now read all posts by him
This article will help you understand the difference between a double major and a second degree.[URL="http://www.tesu.edu/campusuite25/modules/blog.cfm?blog_seo_file=The-Secret-to-Earning-a-Second-Degree&blog_grp_folder=&post_year=2014&post_month=06"]

The Secret to Earning a Second Degree | Thomas Edison State University[/URL]
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
That's a tight budget. Start off with the free courses, TEEX, ethics, and fire courses, you can find them on this site doing a basic search.

ALEKS for $20 try to complete 3 math courses if you are good at math - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics.

Do SL courses non-stop within 30 days time. $100 a month fee plus course cost. If you bang out ten of those in a month that'll come up to $700. That should put you at 47 credits for $720.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
With $4,000 to spend, you're going to have trouble no matter where you go.

At TESU, any non-business degree is going to cost $2000 for the residency waiver, $1500 for the capstone, $75 for the application, and $323 for the graduation fee. That is $3,898 without any of your other courses.

COSC and EC will cost about the same.

Even if you could do as videogamesrock suggested and do all of the cheapest credits (TEEX, NFA, Study.com scholarship, ALEKS, Saylor, Shmoop, 6cr CLEP exams, ACTFL, SL w/multiple courses in a month), you will still go way over $4,000.

I'm not certain of the math degree, but I know that for the CS degree, you also have to take Data Structures somewhere for close to $1000, Discrete Math or Linear Algebra for roughly $800, and a bunch of UL CS courses at probably $1000 apiece. I show that at that price, a CS degree is about $13k.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For the CS degree, we got the number down to just over 10K. My spreadsheet (H/T to defrecore) assumes you take the courses we couldn't find cheaply at TESU. It is probably possible to find them cheaper than that. You can find Discrete Math, Data Structures, and Linear Algebra at community colleges. However, Linear Algebra is usually UL, but from a CC will only count as LL. This isn't very useful for either degree you want. The second tab assumes you take 16cr at TESU and avoid the residency waiver. That route comes out much the same.

Attached Files
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU BA Computer Science 2016-2.xls (Size: 27 KB / Downloads: 2)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I'm not sure what your goals are. But maybe a Liberal Arts degree with a Focus in Math and Computer Science would be much cheaper at Excelsior College.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 399 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,462 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 339 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,695 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,170 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,346 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,570 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 739 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 573 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,882 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema