Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Need Help] International Relations equivelancy courses online
Hello Degree Forum Team,

First and foremost I'd like to say thank you everyone who contributes to this forum! It's a gold mine and I feel like my wife and I have sooooo much to learn! I'm here posting today as we are trying to get her setup for school, which has been a huge learning experience as I have had the military pay for my schooling for the last six years (Wish I would've found this site sooner as I'd be done by now!). Anyway, my wife is looking to get her degree in International Relations. She's currently enrolled at American Public University (Mainly because I attend American Military Univ).

My wife wants to attend APU but I think one of the Big3 schools would be the best for obtaining max credits. Currently APU only lets you bring in 30 non-traditional credits (So credits from CLEP, Straightliner and so on). Do the big3 allow you to bring in more?

My wife does hold a bachelors degree in Tourism and Management, from her home country of Romania, but after having that degree evaluated, APU only gave her minimal credits. She still needs to complete the following from General Education credits:

6 English Credits
6 History Credits
3 Literature Credits
3 Political Science Credits
4 Science Credits
3 credits for an intro to online learning course

So we've planned out that she will CLEP four classes and take the last four with some funding provided to military spouses. This will knock out all of her remaining required general courses.

So that leads to my ultimate question. Since she will CLEP four classes, that's 12 credits of non-traditional credits that APU will accept and she can have a max of 30. Does anyone know of any online course sites that offer the following or an equivalency from the below courses? I've looked on some of the mainstream ones but I think I may be nuking it.

IRLS200 - Information Literacy and Global Citizenship
IRLS210 - International Relations I
IRLS211 - International Relations II
IRLS214 - American Foreign Policy
IRLS301 - International Organizations
IRLS302 - International Development
IRLS402 - International Law and Regimes

IRLS310 - Introduction to Human Security
IRLS400 - Human Rights
IRLS405 - National and Transnational Security
IRLS409 - Environmental Security

INTL411 - International Crime Organization
INTL451 - Terrorism and U.S. National Security
IRLS413 - International Conflict Resolution
IRLS414 - Principles of Peacekeeping
IRLS417 - International Civil Order
SCMT319 - Global Terrorism
WOMS319 - Transnational and Global Issues in Women's Studies

I appreciate any guidance or advice you can offer. Currently as it stands we will have to pay out of pocket for for 48 credits at $270 a pop and that's just not within the budget at this time.
Thanks,
Sean
She already has 120 credits from Romania?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Yes, but when we had it evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) and submitted it to her school, APU, they came back and only accepted 80 some credits were accepted, to which only about 15 of those credits applied to her associates degree(Shes currently enrolled in an Associates program to secure some government funding but will switch to a bachelors once we have used the funding).
videogamesrock Wrote:She already has 120 credits from Romania?

I was thinking the same thing! She can have her credentials evaluated by one of the agencies such as WES and apply to the university of choice. It could be the Big 3 or one of the competency based degree providers such as WGU or NAU.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Wow, 80 is a lot of credits, and it's a shame to see so many not accepted.

She could probably be close to a bachelor's degree from one of the Big Three if she's willing to transfer. Do you have her ECE evaluation results? What credits did they say she had?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Unfortunately the courses in your major are not easily available through alternative credits. TESU has a BA in International Studies that could be much cheaper to complete using some of the APUS courses.

Thomas Edison State University: International Studies

I bet lots of those Romanian credits would satisfy the 48 credit international requirement at TESU. I don't see why the 80 credits wouldn't transfer into TESU.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Thanks for the advice. My wife and I are going to have to do some game planning and will deff. continue to come here for future advice.

For now we are going to keep her enrolled at APU due to us securing some federal funding for military spouses. Once that complete we will look into going to TESU, or another big 3.

Thanks again!
I have been looking and have not found much of anything to fill the slots in that degree. Oooff, $13K+ is a lot to pay for a degree as far as this forum is concerned lol.

But here is a degree to keep in the back of your minds. It's a BA in International Studies from TESU. With her 80 hours of credits, she might be a lot closer than you think.
Thomas Edison State University: International Studies

Once she finishes that, she could do something like the Certificate in Advanced International Affairs from Texas A&M.
Bush School of Government and Public Service - Texas A&M University - Certificate in Advanced International Affairs
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
You may want to do a second evaluation from WES. They are much better than ECE and often you end up with more credits
Wingz Wrote:You may want to do a second evaluation from WES. They are much better than ECE and often you end up with more credits

I agree, although hit or miss who does your evaluation, it is worth a shot.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 3 505 09-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 9,667 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 343 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,720 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,699 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,029 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 6,954 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 545 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,636 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 345 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger