Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program
Hello everyone,

I'm Vishal from Texas, and I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my education. After taking a long break from academics, I jumped back into my bachelor's degree in 2023 and I'm excited to graduate this fall, in 2024. My next goal? Diving into an MBA program. But I need a bit of help choosing the right place.

Here’s what I’m hoping to find in an MBA program:
  • Basics About Me:
    • Where I'm From: Texas
    • Academic Journey: Dropped out in 2001, back at it since 2023, graduating soon (Fall 2024)!
  • My MBA Wishlist:
    1. Program Focus: General MBA
    2. School Location: Must be in the USA
    3. Accreditation: Needs AACSB accreditation
    4. Duration: Around 12 months would be perfect
    5. Learning Format: Fully online, flexible for any time zone (night or day)
    6. Budget: Hoping to keep it under $20,000
    7. Exam Proctoring: I’d rather not have someone watching over me during exams; compatibility with Respondus Browser is okay, since it’s already set up on my work computer.
  • Additional Considerations:
    • Work Life: My job requires a lot of travel, but I do have access to a US-based VPN.
    • Potential Choices: I’m eyeing Lamar University, LSU, Southeastern Oklahoma State University, and Texas A&M International University since they seem flexible with the proctoring requirements.
Seeking Your Advice:
  • Do the universities on my list make sense for my situation?
  • Does anyone have experience with these universities?
  • Any other university recommendations that might fit my unique needs?
I’d really appreciate any insights or experiences you could share. Thanks for helping me navigate this next big step!

VT
I earned an MBA from Southeastern Oklahoma State University. It was a good program!
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
Take your pick:
https://www.geteducated.com/online-colle...egional/#/

I think the best deal in Texas is the UTPB mba as the UT system connection at least makes your degree legit throughout the state. I have no personal experience with that school though...

If you're more flexible with your budget, then boston U and UIUC are well known brand-name online mba programs at around 25K.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • RLRRLRLL
@iamsam, Welcome to the board, I suggest taking some time to review some posts, threads, and WIKI. Are those three the only ones you've looked into? I would create a shortlist of your top 3 choices and a backup option. If you have more information you can provide us (such as the info asked for in the addendum and template, you may want to update us as well https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works). Here's one sticky thread that may provide you a shortlist to select from, then you can drop it down to your choices... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...der-1-Year
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm currently in the MPA online program at UT-RGV. Although I'm not a huge fan of the vague assignment prompts or the material (my E-Governance class IT book was published 20 years ago and still references Myspace) It checks the boxes for flexibility, speed, and a well known school (UT)

They do have a accelerated 12 month MBA program as well that seems to check all your boxes at $17k and could easily be below that with all the grants and scholarships they have available. https://www.utrgv.edu/accelerated/progra.../index.htm
[-] The following 1 user Likes teejayb's post:
  • RLRRLRLL
There should be a pretty good number that meet at least most of your goals. I think most do have some scheduled sessions and group projects that might make the schedule not quite as fluid.

I am mainly posting to call attention to the Boston University online MBA and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign iMBA, both of which are $25K. That is a little over your budget, but they are national top 50 universities on most ratings such as USN&WR. These programs stand out in that context.

Western Governors University has a competency-based MBA. I don't think it has the accreditation you are seeking. But I mention because I have heard of people completing the coursework in a shockingly brief time (weeks). I think the exams are proctored, though.

Anyway, lots of options, although it could be that none fully meets every criteria. Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • RLRRLRLL
I live in Texas also and my experience is that in certain fields in Texas, going to a Texas based school can get you into some doors when it comes to career. If you plan on leaving Texas then you have to decide where you want to go.
University of Southern Indiana offers an AACSB-accredited, fully online, 12-month, 30-credit MBA for $13,950. You can choose between a general MBA, or the following concentrations:
  • Accounting
  • Data Analytics
  • Engineering Management
  • Healthcare Administration
  • Human Resources
  • Marketing
  • Project Management
  • Supply Chain Management
I completed this program in 2017. Back then, it was advertised as taking 18 months. I was able to take two classes per 8-week session and finish in 10 months.

EDIT: At least when I was in the program, there were no proctored assignments at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RLRRLRLL's post:
  • Kjnova
Texas A&M International University is AACSB accredited, online, set up for 7-week terms, and tuition is only 11,010. I considered attending before I decided to pursue an MS in IT Management through WGU as their format seemed like something I could accelerate through in six months so I could qualify for advanced positions sooner.

https://online.tamiu.edu/online/bus-mba-lp-221021/
Completed:  BAAS in Organizational Leadership, Texas A&M - Commerce

In-Progress:  MS in IT Management, WGU
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoustonGuy's post:
  • RLRRLRLL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 821 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 33 4,249 08-31-2024, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  FHSU to offer MLS in Philosophy Online? MFG 9 1,062 08-27-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 54 37,330 08-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 384 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Cheap online MSSE or MSI? evenFair23 1 362 08-17-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 12 2,631 08-12-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: frankc
  georgia tech online masters crowbird 13 1,754 08-11-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  IEU Universidad: another online Mexican university Avidreader 0 349 08-02-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis? swellguy 14 1,933 07-24-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77