Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAYANN1 degree help
@NAYANN1, as per my earlier post - again the more details the better.  I'm sure you're too late to get extra AP exams in place, but if you did register for more AP exams, you could potentially transfer the to UMN, it's a better option than CLEP since only 3 are approved for transfer.  TESU at this time may not be your best bet as Study.com may have been subject to discrepancies because of changes to their transfer...

By providing the information within the template, you can gauge and have a better picture of your situation as each scenario is going to be different.  The info would lead us to providing you different avenues.  I suggest the SNHU or WGU option for Computer Science if you have the energy, time to work on your courses, if you're working full time or have commitments, then TESU would be the better choice.

To answer your question, SNHU, TESU, WGU are all private or public/state universities.  They are the go-to options for many members of this board due to the 90 or more credit transfer opportunities, UMN is restrictive in their transfer credit limits like many colleges, we recommend the ones that allow max transfer of alternative credits.  You might want to also look at grad school, all of these mentioned will get you the "check box" for CS degree for entry into Georgia Tech, UT-Austin, or NYU, etc.

Hi @bjcheung77  Here is my information that you wanted me to put from the other thread we exchanged on.

So here is all of my credits:

AP Statistics (4 credits), AP US History (3 credits) Also both were As

From this past year dual-enrollment (PSEO is what they call it at UMN):

Math 1271 - Calculus 1 (4 credits) A-
Apec 1101 - Principles of Microeconomics (4 credits) A
Writ 1301 - University Writing (4 credits) A

Math 1272 - Calculus 2 (4 credits) A
Jour 3751 - Digital Media and Culture (3 credits) A
FSCN 1013 - Dietary Supplements: scientific, regulatory, and cultural aspects (3 credits) A
CSCI 1133 - Introduction to Computing and Programming concepts (4 credits) A

Then this summer I will have Stat 3021 - Intro to probability and statistics (3 credits) and Phys 1301 - Introductory physics (4 credits)

So I currently have 33 credits and after summer I will have 40.

Other things to note - For UMN, as of now, my entire next year is covered through aid, grants, and scholarships. 

I would love to graduate in 2 years or even less if possible and I am willing to put in the hours necessary to do so.

Let me know if you need any more information and thanks for your help!
bjcheung77 Wrote:@NAYANN1, No worries, we're always here to help you.  It's alright, you're doing what you can and we'll try to guide you through...

Click this thread link, copy/paste the last post of mine, and edit it with your details: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Actually, I wanted something like this, please update the info with your details:
Basically if you have energy, money, time I would choose the Big 3, if you have years of experience, then SNHU or WGU...

Update: In addition to the basic template above... It may be a good idea to expand the information you provide us to include the following, this will provide some insight into your particular situation.  We can either recommend the alternative test-out options COSC, EC (soon to be EU), TESU or competency based education providers such as PUG, UMG (UMASS Global - formerly Brandman), UMPI, WGU or another institution.

Budget: I have a max of $10K saved up.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Honestly, just kids/spouse and my pets. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours every week night and on the weekends, maybe 6 hours, total would be roughly 15+12=27 hours or slightly more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my workplace partners with ABC XYZ university, I get free tuition for undergrad and half off for grad studies!

Please provide any relevant details you may have that may help us determine a option or path for you to investigate, such as your preference towards either test-out (you're a great test taker) or competency based education (because you like assessments, assignments and have test anxiety).  What other details you provide us can help determine your course of action suited for your educational journey...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-17-2022, 11:37 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:@NAYANN1, No worries, we're always here to help you.  It's alright, you're doing what you can and we'll try to guide you through...

Click this thread link, copy/paste the last post of mine, and edit it with your details: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Actually, I wanted something like this, please update the info with your details:
Basically if you have energy, money, time I would choose the Big 3, if you have years of experience, then SNHU or WGU...

Update: In addition to the basic template above... It may be a good idea to expand the information you provide us to include the following, this will provide some insight into your particular situation.  We can either recommend the alternative test-out options COSC, EC (soon to be EU), TESU or competency based education providers such as PUG, UMG (UMASS Global - formerly Brandman), UMPI, WGU or another institution.

Budget: I have a max of $10K saved up.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Honestly, just kids/spouse and my pets. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours every week night and on the weekends, maybe 6 hours, total would be roughly 15+12=27 hours or slightly more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my workplace partners with ABC XYZ university, I get free tuition for undergrad and half off for grad studies!

Please provide any relevant details you may have that may help us determine a option or path for you to investigate, such as your preference towards either test-out (you're a great test taker) or competency based education (because you like assessments, assignments and have test anxiety).  What other details you provide us can help determine your course of action suited for your educational journey...

Okay:

Your Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, US
Your Age: 18 
What kind of degree do you want?: Computer Science Bachelors. 
Credits are in the previous message

Budget:  I have a max of $20K saved up.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Pretty much nothing.
Dedicated time to study: All day basically.
Timeline: Ideally in two years or less. But I would also take into account how well the degree would allow me to attain a job.
[b]Tuition assistance/reimbursement: N/A[/b]

[b]As for test-taking - I am decent at them but not amazing. I scored fairly high on the SAT and also did well on a couple AP exams. I honestly prefer assignments but either is fine. [/b]
Hey, I got your PM, so instead of replying to the PM, I'll just post here instead.  My recommendations have always been 3 fold, 1) Certs  2) Degree  3) Experience.  What you're missing is going to be the certs and experience, so you need a "stronger" degree to go with your applications.  

My suggestion for you is the BSBA CIS & BA CS combo, here's the thread, follow the plan LevelUP has created, the main thing is to take courses that can't be completed or transferred for cheap at UMN & TESU for courses towards residency requirements: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-Plan

Just to top things off, you can also take some intro yet inexpensive Coursera certificates that also bring in ACE credits from this list here - Do the Google/IBM ones, if you want, the Meta one as well! Coursera - Degree Forum Wiki (miraheze.org)

(05-18-2022, 03:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, I got your PM, so instead of replying to the PM, I'll just post here instead.  My recommendations have always been 3 fold, 1) Certs  2) Degree  3) Experience.  What you're missing is going to be the certs and experience, so you need a "stronger" degree to go with your applications.  

My suggestion for you is the BSBA CIS & BA CS combo, here's the thread, follow the plan LevelUP has created, the main thing is to take courses that can't be completed or transferred for cheap at UMN & TESU for courses towards residency requirements: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-Plan

Just to top things off, you can also take some intro yet inexpensive Coursera certificates that also bring in ACE credits from this list here - Do the Google/IBM ones, if you want, the Meta one as well! Coursera - Degree Forum Wiki (miraheze.org)

Ok thank you so much! 

Just a few clarifications:

The end degree will be from TESU, correct? 

Also do you reckon this coming year I take mostly CS courses and then I should have around 70-80 credits to transfer to TESU? Then I can crank the remainders out there and finish?
Yes, you'll get two degrees at TESU - BSBA CIS and a BA Computer Science. Basically, at TESU you will need to take 16 credits for residency requirements. At UMN, you'll need to take upper level courses that can't be transferred in from Sophia.org, Study.com, or another provider. By following the links above, you'll see the RA, ACE/NCCRS credits transferrable into the degree program... You have enough RA credits already, you just need to get all the alternative credits towards the BSBA CIS/BA Comp Science, the lower & upper level Computer Science courses are the harder to find courses on the wiki.

(05-20-2022, 02:16 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, you'll get two degrees at TESU - BSBA CIS and a BA Computer Science.  Basically, at TESU you will need to take 16 credits for residency requirements.  At UMN, you'll need to take upper level courses that can't be transferred in from Sophia.org, Study.com, or another provider.  By following the links above, you'll see the RA, ACE/NCCRS credits transferrable into the degree program... You have enough RA credits already, you just need to get all the alternative credits towards the BSBA CIS/BA Comp Science, the lower & upper level Computer Science courses are the harder to find courses on the wiki.

Ok thanks so much! I am going to go through and see what courses I should take next year at UMN to maximize my credits. I will check back to see if what I have is optimal.

Thanks again so much for all of your help!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 158 4 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 670 5 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 65 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 350 10 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 153 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,484 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 183 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 959 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 566 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower