Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My "I'm Done" post
cinderly Wrote:A few of you may remember me; if not, no matter.

In the fall of 2006, I was staring down 30 and decided that I was going to finish my degree before I turned 31. In November of that year, I enrolled in Excelsior College and joined this forum after having devoured everything I could here and at BAin4Weeks.

My initial plan was to spend six months to complete a double-major in English and history. As that six months sped by, I reevaluated and dropped to a single major - in Literature in English, with history as a minor.

When I enrolled at Excelsior, I had 27 brick and mortar credits and a 1.3 GPA at my local university. (I did not do well, there.) Over the next three years, I amassed credits through in-seat coursework at my local university, distance-delivered courses, and testing. Lots of testing. I received my diploma, today, six days shy of the three-year anniversary of my Excelsior College enrollment and nine days after I took my first teacher certification exam. I am the holder of a Bachelor of Science Literature in English - and an honors graduate, to boot. I am pleased with the quality of the diploma - the embossed gold seal, gold "cum laude" bar, and padded slip cover are nice touches.

My progress was not as fast as many who have come and gone in the time I've been a member of this forum. For those who want the fastest route to a regionally accredited degree, the Big Three can be heaven-sent. For those of us who are more ... plodding in our approaches, slow and steady will get you to your goal. Winston Churchill's famous closing remarks have served as a sort of motto for my educational efforts: "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in..."

Do not be intimidated by those faster than you. Do not give up. 2009 will be hard to top, for me, in terms of major life events - I lost my father and my job, graduated from college, got married, traveled overseas for the first time, began a new career, and began graduate school. I could have used any of these as an excuse to quit. I persevered, if slowly. Today, I am living long-held dreams, dreams that would not be possible without Excelsior - or InstantCert.

Thank you, Steve, for creating this site. Thank you Jennifer, Shoto, Michael, Brandon, Snazz/Rob, JoAnne, BasketWeaver, Gary ... I'm sure I'm forgetting someone who was instrumental. If so, I apologize.

Without the examples of those who had gone before me, I'd never have had the courage to start and without the encouragement and occasional needling from others, I might have given up.

Thank you. I am still having trouble believing it's real.

(And no, you're not quite rid of me, yet - I still have biology to finish.)

Im sorry to hear about your father. But, Im sure he is shining down on you with Pride ! ConGRATS !!! Wink
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Congratulations!!! Stories like yours inspire me and keep me focused on finishing my degree. Good luck with grad school!!!
DEGREES EARNED: [SIZE="1"]
BA, History, TESC '10
AAS, Mechanics and Maintenance, TESC '10
[/size]
TESTS PASSED:[SIZE="1"]
CLEP Social Sciences & History - 70/50
CLEP American Government - 65/50
CLEP English Composition General - 68/50
CLEP A & I Literature 70/50
CLEP Sociology 73/50
CLEP College Math 74/50
CLEP Intro Psychology 72/50
CLEP College Algebra 65/50
CLEP Macroeconomics 73/50
CLEP Microeconomics 70/50
CLEP Western Civ. I 79/50
CLEP Western Civ. II 70/50
CLEP US History I 79/50
CLEP US History II 78/50
DSST Technical Writing 63/46
DSST Intro to Computing 463/400
DSST Substance Abuse 463/400
DSST Fundamentals of Algebra 433/400
DSST World Religions 467/400
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction 68/47
DSST A History of the Vietnam War 78/44
DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East 80/47
DSST Western Europe since 1945 71/47
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 70/45

[SIZE="2"]ON DECK:[/SIZE]

A B.E. or an MBA
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,540 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 1,321 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  How can I delete my post... qiaoyiren 2 1,084 03-24-2021, 08:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Sentinel U merges with Post University Alpha 8 1,735 02-04-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A light hearted post about education ROYISAGIRL 8 1,931 12-19-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Future of College Tuition post Covid 19 Clepper43 15 2,985 07-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school).. MSK9 32 7,657 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Post your Test Center Experiences! sgloer 3 1,212 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What is the name of the idiot's guide study book being referred in this QUOTED post? rackcity92 2 1,196 03-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Post Graduation Learning TexasTink 1 948 02-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone