Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modernstates Question
For those who’ve tried them, generally speaking is it necessary to read through the reading portions of these courses to understand and pass the CLEP or will just viewing the videos do enough? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
I don't know about the videos versus the text, but many of us think that you need to do more than Modern States. I think that it's only good as a refresher or intro.

(05-08-2018, 04:59 AM)Ideas Wrote: I don't know about the videos versus the text, but many of us think that you need to do more than Modern States. I think that it's only good as a refresher or intro.

Yeah, that is what I've heard as well. Even if you do both the reading and videos, that will not be enough to guarantee a pass on its own. You should also consider reviewing the exam specific CLEP guide, crash course videos on youtube, take several sample tests, etc.

So, no... viewing the videos alone will probably give you what you need to pass unless you're just reviewing material you already know.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • camjenks
(05-08-2018, 02:40 AM)harrypotter Wrote: For those who’ve tried them, generally speaking is it necessary to read through the reading portions of these courses to understand and pass the CLEP or will just viewing the videos do enough? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Most people just watch the videos and answer the questions to get the voucher. They use other sources to actually study (REA books, freeclepprep, InstantCert). I haven't read of anyone actually reading the text on Modern States. My daughter started to but it seemed unnecessary because she knew the material well enough without it.  

Having said that, Modern States uses college textbooks, so I would think it would prepare you. It's just a matter of if that is the best and most efficient way for you to learn the material.
(05-08-2018, 08:56 AM)harrypotter Wrote: For those who’ve tried them, generally speaking is it necessary to read through the reading portions of these courses to understand and pass the CLEP or will just viewing the videos do enough? Thanks
I took the Humanities, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature and Social Sciences CLEPS using only the Modern States videos, which was enough to get me through the tests. I think the others here have had mixed results using only Modern States.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • harrypotter
It really depends. The courses are all designed by different instructors so there's a wide range of styles and content. I've used Modern States for all of mine. For US History, I watched the videos, read the entire textbook, and practiced with flash cards made from the textbook. I passed both by a good margin, but the videos alone would not have been nearly enough. For Principles of Management, I just watched the videos, reviewed the slides, and I was good to go. For Financial Accounting, just get the voucher and stay as far away from that course as possible!

My recommendation would be to use this forum and free-clep-prep website to get a feel for how hard the exam is, and then base your preparation off that. Plus, I always score better when I use multiple sources.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
Ive taken 6 of the modern states courses. Just watching the videos and answering the questions wont work. Go on ebay and buy a used REA Clep guide and use the practice exams to study.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimmy999's post:
  • bezzina
Depends on what you want out of the program. If you're just gaming the system to get a CLEP voucher from Modern States, you can skip the videos and take educated guesses to pass the quizzes. All you need is 50% to pass. Most of the questions offer three attempts and only have 5 options, so you can easily pass without knowing any of the material.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,634 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 344 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 260 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,940 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 223 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 480 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,979 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,810 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 833 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 719 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore