Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistakes in study.com lessons/quizzes
(05-02-2018, 02:30 PM)acamp Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 01:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 09:38 AM)acamp Wrote: Hey there,
I was going over one of my practice final exams for the MAT 102 course and I found a mistake in the practice final.  The question reads:

17. A four-sided shape has all right angles and sides of equal length. That means the shape is both a _____
Incorrect
Topic: Geometry
Both of these options are correct
Watch correct answer

square and a rectangle

square and a rhombus

Neither of these options are correct

Study.com says that the correct answer is BOTH OF THESE OPTIONS ARE CORRECT which that isn't true.  A rhombus does NOT 4 right angles. I just confirmed this with TWO math teachers =)

A rhombus CAN have 4 right angles (a square is a rhombus), but it doesn't necessarily have 4 right angles.  So the question is not a good one, even if the answer COULD be correct.

I think with math questions, the answer has to be exactly, 100% correct.  There can't be ambiguity.

But technically, a square and a rhombus is the correct answer.

I appreciate all the responses.  But, a square ALWAYS has 4 right angles.  A rhombus doesn't necessarily have to have 4 right angles.  Usually, a rhombus does not have 4 right angles.  So I agree with you dfrecore - this question is not credible and wayyyyy too ambiguous.    I asked to high school state-certified math teachers and they both said a rhombus doesn't always have 4 right angles and thought the question wasn't a good one..

This is why there will continue to be errors. First of all, you can argue questions to death. I've had students argue questions with me. To address a reported error, the course provider first needs one or more content experts in place to review the question and the error. Content experts are not cheap - and students getting PAID to report errors? OMG never happen. You could *literally* report errors on every test (cuz ya never know cha-ching!!) and the number of man-hours needed to just investigate would be ridiculous. I imagine a scene out of Law and Order where a room full of phones are ringing off the hook and everyone is chasing their tale looking for a needle in a haystack.
Best case, they've saved the emails and may give a batch of them to the team/content experts when its time for a content review - so I'm thinking maybe every 3 years or when their ACE eval is up for renewal.
I was going over one of my practice final exams for the MAT 102 course and I found a mistake in the practice final.  The question reads:

17. A four-sided shape has all right angles and sides of equal length. That means the shape is both a _____
Incorrect
Watch correct answer

square and a rectangle

square and a rhombus

Study.com says that the correct answer is BOTH OF THESE OPTIONS ARE CORRECT which that isn't true.  A rhombus does NOT 4 right angles. I just confirmed this with TWO math teachers =)

A rhombus CAN have 4 right angles (a square is a rhombus), but it doesn't necessarily have 4 right angles.  So the question is not a good one, even if the answer COULD be correct.

I think with math questions, the answer has to be exactly, 100% correct.  There can't be ambiguity.

I appreciate all the responses.  But, a square ALWAYS has 4 right angles.  A rhombus doesn't necessarily have to have 4 right angles.  Usually, a rhombus does not have 4 right angles.  So I agree with you dfrecore - this question is not credible and wayyyyy too ambiguous.    I asked to high school state-certified math teachers and they both said a rhombus doesn't always have 4 right angles and thought the question wasn't a good one..

If you want ambiguity, try the soft sciences on study.com.  This math at least is unambiguous.  A four sided shape with all right angles and sides of equal length is unambiguously a rectangle, a paralellogram, a rhombus, and a square.  Each is a more special case of the previous.
[-] The following 1 user Likes randomatom's post:
  • Sapientes
(05-21-2018, 08:21 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Incorrect
Watch correct answer

square and a rectangle

square and a rhombus

This is why there will continue to be errors.  First of all, you can argue questions to death.  I've had students argue questions with me.  To address a reported error, the course provider first needs one or more content experts in place to review the question and the error.  Content experts are not cheap - and students getting PAID to report errors?  OMG never happen.  You could *literally* report errors on every test (cuz ya never know cha-ching!!) and the number of man-hours needed to just investigate would be ridiculous.   I imagine a scene out of Law and Order where a room full of phones are ringing off the hook and everyone is chasing their tale looking for a needle in a haystack.  
Best case, they've saved the emails and may give a batch of them to the team/content experts when its time for a content review - so I'm thinking maybe every 3 years or when their ACE eval is up for renewal.

This is one advantage of a B&M school classroom. When I was in school at the B&M, the students would argue the test questions/answers after getting an exam back and, if the instructor was convinced, he or she would change it. Most instructors would do it.
I didn't find too many errors in the courses I took, but they were mainly psychology courses. I'm thinking math is a little more obvious.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limited Time 68% Off College Saver at Study.com portals 40 7,156 5 hours ago
Last Post: promise22
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 172 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 204 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,683 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 599 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 229 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,195 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM
  Study.com Exam, Accidentally Left Installer Open ExcellentPhoto 2 384 08-13-2024, 06:41 PM
  Study.com—is this course NCCRS or ACE? wow 15 710 08-12-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com Failed Exam BSBRose21 5 3,017 07-31-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary