Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning disabilities questions
cookderosa Wrote:I understand, and of course I'm compassionate to the difficulties anyone faces and the strength they need to overcome them. I don't see asking for help as a weakness, I don't think you think I do, but just to be clear. When someone is opting out of services, they're opting out. That's their decision. This student hasn't self identified for regular coursework, so why now?
I would have to be insane to even suggest that you are not a compassionate person. You are by far and away one the most generous and helpful persons on this forum. And with your very extensive experience as a teacher in CC where you have had numerous experiences of dealing with students who have obtained accommodation, you are certainly more knowledgeable of the percentage who are sincere about really learning and those just solely trying to get a free ride. If there is something fishy, we will not be hearing from yb1 again. But if there is just 1 chance in 1000, that all yb1 might need is just some info and TLC, I don't want to scare them away unintentionally. We could be their only lifeline at present. I believe KB, BGSU_Alum_86, and I have laid down some reasonable beginning first steps for yb1, and I will wait patiently for further developments if any.
Hey thanks for the responses everyone. I noticed some love and some hate. Looking back at my post I feel like I could have presented it a little bit better at first.

I don't take having adhd as a joke or trying to duke the system. I just wanted opinions on options that I may or may not have. or I may or may not know about.

Just an update in case anyone is curious.

I emailed a counselor and told her of my previous experience and this one was so helpful. The process was completely easy.

I had to go to the psychiatrist and give her a form about my ADHD. she filled it out and then I went to the counselor at the community college. Counselor asked me a long list of questions of things I might need. anything from extra tutoring, extended time on exams, calculators. I told her as of right now I may need extended time on test but I am not sure about anything else (she seemed willing to give me whatever was on that long list). She told me feel free to revise your accommodations when ever by scheduling another appointment with me. I actually have not used the extended time because I am not taking classes right now that I am struggling in.

It was pretty simple.

Now things that I did not figure out. scholarship information/grants/

now to respond to some of you.
Cookedrosa - Extra time on a clep exam is a genius idea. I will be looking into this and I will let you know what I find out. I assume the process is email clep and send them documented proof that I need extra time. this will be very helpful. Thanks
Kav- thanks for the insight
JohnnyHeck- thanks for the support. I apologize if I offended you by the blah blah blah blah comment. I could have worded it a little bit better. sometimes I forget that I am on the internet.
Congratulations yb1 on following up and discovering how to advocate for yourself, particularly in the pedantic, bureaucratic, academic, world. And thanks for your detailed feedback on your success at this most important of first steps to get your degree back on track. Good luck, and don't hesitate to seek help whenever you need it from whatever sources you can find at your disposal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI/Machine Learning Subject Based BS degree vetvso 2 117 7 hours ago
Last Post: vetvso
  Distance Learning Systems Indiana nomaduser 1 306 10-06-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: facilityalarming
  Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI?? Vle045 26 1,448 08-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 580 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  Prior Learning Art Portfolio Assessment 3ichael7ambert 18 1,033 05-31-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: davewill
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,947 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 545 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 471 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,347 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,797 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume