Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Counts/PLA update
Courtney, so you know I've followed most of your progress. This is great news. I'm still in the camp of not loving PLAs, however, in your case it was REALLY helpful especially in music!
I understand. It was the only way for me to finish upper level music courses, however, and so therefore the only way for me to finish my degree.

I'm the perfect candidate for PLA- I have the experience and knowledge to pass the courses. It was easy to videotape my ability and to write the paper... it turned out better than I imagined.
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
FallingWaters Wrote:The cost was $250 per PLA, plus the $120 self-paced course. The instructor led course is more expensive and required more interaction. The self-paced course was not at all helpful; perhaps more about the process would've been explained in the instructor led. Most of my questions were immediately answered via email, however.
I do know the cost has gone up as of December; I believe the new cost is $500 per 12 cr PLA.

They did raise their price making them no longer competitive with TESC. Their instructor-led course went from $500 to $859! The Do-It-Yourself course is still $129. They now only do 3-credit PLAs at $125 each, so it would cost $500 to earn 12 credits. In comparison, TESC's PLA courses will cost a total of $687. The first 12 credits cost $350, and the cost is $200 for every 6 credits thereafter.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I still call that competitive financially, not to mention the time factor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two necessary PLA courses at TESC are each a month-long. The self-guided course at LC took about an hour.
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
It takes a total of 12 weeks to complete TESC's PLA courses. The one-credit course is 4 weeks, and the two-credit course is 8 weeks.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sorry if this is obvious in the OP, but I just want to confirm: It is possible to get upper level (300/400 credit) from LC PLAs at a cost of $125 per 3-credit course? And TESC will accept them?
Yes, it is possible, depending of course on the course and TESC's determination of its acceptance. All of the courses I PLA'ed with the exception of one 1-credit course, were upper level (300/400). Your best option is to call TESC and ask if they will accept a certain PLA'ed course. You may or may not get a direct answer, depending partly on if you are enrolled or not. When I first asked at TESC, I was not enrolled and they told me there was a good chance my courses would not be accepted. They were.

Yes, I understand that is the current cost (plus the $129 self-directed course).
sanantone Wrote:It takes a total of 12 weeks to complete TESC's PLA courses. The one-credit course is 4 weeks, and the two-credit course is 8 weeks.

Thanks for the correction. That makes it even worse Wink
Thank you for posting this! I had asked about success transferring credits from LC to TESC months ago. I'm in a similar boat and really just need upper level credits. I was thinking of documenting some of my work and dance experience. TESC says they won't take PLAs for any sort of physical education type of classes, but there are tons of videos with my dance performances on YouTube, and it seems to me that those should be able to count towards credit since its documented.

I'm also wanting to get PLA credits for my work in the Human Services industry. I have about 310 hours so far. TESC also says they don't accept PLA credit for internships, however I don't really see why not. For the last 143 hours I've actually been documenting everything I'm doing when I go in, to sort of show what skills I'm using.

I'm hoping to be able to get a load of PLA credits related to women/gender/sexuality studies including relating to sex work and human/sex trafficking.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
This is so interesting. We have been trying to figure out if it is possible to use my sister's experience in equine science toward her degree. I haven't looked into TESC's database yet, but I have found upper level equine science courses at a couple of other colleges.
Do you think it would be possible to PLA some UL Equine Science courses and just use them as her UL area of study for a Liberal Studies degree?
I'd love to hear anyone's opinion...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update your Signature! sgloer 24 4,618 08-11-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 517 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  Prior Learning Art Portfolio Assessment 3ichael7ambert 18 895 05-31-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: davewill
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 444 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,323 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 2,062 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,685 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 1,102 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 3,492 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,194 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir