Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vietnamee needs AA or AS for immigration to US with US husband, also needs education.
I am a Vietnamese woman, 26. I have been working on heavy load online high school for a year, with not much learning, but a lot of time with all the hopelessly disorganized busy work. I now think maybe I should go straight for an associate degree. I have 12 ALEKS credits - Intro Stats, Precalculus, Trig, Int Algebra.

I am not like most of you, I have some trouble with English, and I am not forty and so well self-educated I know everything and can pass any test after studying for a couple of days. Or couple of hours. This means I need to get some education while I get my AA or AS. I think CLEP might be tough. Plus test proctorers are rare around here, except one that charges $150 to proctor one test. But perhaps I might be able to do CLEP Art History or Chemistry, but it is maybe not much education.

What I probably need is to be in a community college, in person, but I have to prepare for immigration outside the US. I did half of high school online self paced, pretty good grades, so I know the ropes about online stuff.

What about Straighterline? I have never done a real college course, only ALEKS. Does Straighterline really teach, or just kind of test? With my English, something like a C in Psych or Western Civ is fine.

Oh yes, I forgot. Will I get killed in English Comp I and II at Straighterline. Or are they like a lot of colleges, and they realize most non-Americans will always make quite a few grammar mistakes and always have a kind of small vocabulary?

After enough hours At SL, I would do Charter Oak, I guess.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Linh
I married an American and went through the US Immigration system a couple of years ago. I did all my own paperwork, with expedites, including expedited citizenship. No small feat.
Have the rules changed in the last couple of years where you now need a US education too?? Just wanting to clarify your situation, as negotiating the US Immigration system is hard enough, without the addition of another requirement.
Are you familiar with VisaJourney - Your US Immigration Community ? If you have any immigration issues, that's the place to be Smile
If you need a US education now too, this forum will certainly help you get there Smile

Hi GMT,

You seem way above me as far as handling paper work. Which means better educated. But I only started English four years ago.

The rules seem to change every year. There is no rule concerning education, but they state explicitly that they will turn down anyone they feel might at any time in the future end up dependent on the government. A young Vietnamese woman without a high school diploma, I was told at an embassy, "might look like a high-risk candidate," but they said of course they could only decide that after I applied.

I guess what they really mean is they want someone with good prospects for decent employment. Anyway, I have 12 credits for ALEKS, and hard working for a year might get me an AS somewhere. Kill two birds -- get some education and improve immigration chances.

I will definitely check into VisaJourney - Your US Immigration Community. Thanks.

Linh
linh Wrote:I am a Vietnamese woman, 26. I have been working on heavy load online high school for a year, with not much learning, but a lot of time with all the hopelessly disorganized busy work. I now think maybe I should go straight for an associate degree. I have 12 ALEKS credits - Intro Stats, Precalculus, Trig, Int Algebra.

I am not like most of you, I have some trouble with English, and I am not forty and so well self-educated I know everything and can pass any test after studying for a couple of days. Or couple of hours. This means I need to get some education while I get my AA or AS. I think CLEP might be tough. Plus test proctorers are rare around here, except one that charges $150 to proctor one test. But perhaps I might be able to do CLEP Art History or Chemistry, but it is maybe not much education.

What I probably need is to be in a community college, in person, but I have to prepare for immigration outside the US. I did half of high school online self paced, pretty good grades, so I know the ropes about online stuff.

What about Straighterline? I have never done a real college course, only ALEKS. Does Straighterline really teach, or just kind of test? With my English, something like a C in Psych or Western Civ is fine.

Oh yes, I forgot. Will I get killed in English Comp I and II at Straighterline. Or are they like a lot of colleges, and they realize most non-Americans will always make quite a few grammar mistakes and always have a kind of small vocabulary?

After enough hours At SL, I would do Charter Oak, I guess.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Linh

Linh,

Welcome to the forum, Does your husband have a job yet in the United States? Immigration accesses how much money you are likely to earn or if you may not be able to earn money and so you become a burden to the government. They ask about how long you are married and want you to prove that you know his family and have photos to prove this. ( I had to do this when I moved to America) Well done on learning English this is a great start in moving to America. A high school diploma is important as this is seen as a requirement for many jobs. You will not be able to start in an American College without a high school diploma. It can be from Vietnam or the United States.
In the United States there is a program called GED which allows adults to take a test which can prove that they are educated up to high school standard. I'm not sure if you can take the test in Vietnam however you can sign up online for an American High School education. Most Colleges particularly Excelsior have an English test to prove that you can take the courses without any treatment that is different from others.

My advice is see if you can take a GED test in Vietnam. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

The other thing that the INS look for is adequate income. If you have the equivalent of $10,000 and are able to take it with you, they will not be so picky about the High school diploma. I didn't have that kind of money and my wife only earned $14,000 in the year I arrived but it was above the then "poverty line" and I was able to have her sponsor me.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
linh Wrote:What about Straighterline? I have never done a real college course, only ALEKS. Does Straighterline really teach, or just kind of test? With my English, something like a C in Psych or Western Civ is fine.

Thanks, Linh

With Straighterline you need to read the textbook chapters and take the test. They have presentations that summarize textbook information but to pass you need the textbook. Proctoring is done online with a webcam.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
linh Wrote:Hi GMT,

You seem way above me as far as handling paper work. Which means better educated. But I only started English four years ago.

The rules seem to change every year. There is no rule concerning education, but they state explicitly that they will turn down anyone they feel might at any time in the future end up dependent on the government. A young Vietnamese woman without a high school diploma, I was told at an embassy, "might look like a high-risk candidate," but they said of course they could only decide that after I applied.

I guess what they really mean is they want someone with good prospects for decent employment. Anyway, I have 12 credits for ALEKS, and hard working for a year might get me an AS somewhere. Kill two birds -- get some education and improve immigration chances.

I will definitely check into VisaJourney - Your US Immigration Community. Thanks.

Linh

Hi Linh

I could not have done any of the paperwork without Visa Journey, it's the equivalent to this forum but for USCIS Smile it's a great community which will really help you gather the right parts for your application, and get it right first time.
I understand your concerns about looking like a good candidate for immigration, and getting your education lined up is a superb thing to do, well done for thinking ahead Smile

The immigration process is mostly a "tick box" set up, so basically the more boxes you tick the better

The biggest thing they will look for is whether your marriage is real, beyond anything else. Finances are a big part of that.
One tip I always give is, if your husband is able to, ask him to deposit money into your bank account and ensure you have proof. Nothing says "real marriage" more than sharing of finances.
It doesn't have to be a lot, but some, and a couple of times if possible. Make sure the proof of deposit is added to your application packet.
And if your case goes on to next year, ensure he adds you to his US taxes and claims jointly, and yes he can do this without you having ever entered the US. All of these things will be explained on Visa Journey.
He will be filing paperwork at some point in the application process showing he will be able to afford to support you when you get to the US, but to show you are already educated to US standards will certainly help in your interview Smile
I'm really looking forward to hearing how you move along with your education, and your immigration process. I have no doubt you're going to do super well Smile

GMT

Excellent advice from GMT. The process can seem inhuman at times, I found it easiest to plan like I was going on trial and had to prove that I was indeed married to an American. (For the right reasons) That we shared our bank accounts, that we wrote letters and emails when away from each other. Large phone bills from Vietnam to America and so on. That we attended family gatherings together, Christmas, TET and so on ( I even had people take photos to prove we were together) I've never heard of the forum, wish I had because I paid over $4000 in U.S Lawyer fees by the time it was all said and done. Do you have any children together as it shows that you are in a real relationship you should take photos of you all together. I'm sure the forum will help greatly and we wish you all the best in your new life with the rest of us immigrants here in the U.S.A
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
You are all so helpful. I know just a little. The queen of naïve. My husband and I are beginners. We have not been obsessed with going to the US, but now we are kind of tired of six months in Thailand alternating with six in New Zealand, even though we are (very cheaply) camping out on world’s best trout rivers. LPG stove, eat lamb like queen and king. And we catch lots of unbelievable trout on flies I tie for us. Anyway, the US would be something different, some variety. Got to get to Visa Journey.

E12HC, great idea, have so much stuff they have to believe you. Our main proof we are married is all our visas match in our passports for over four years. You said photos are good. I just joined facebook for my high school stuff, will a facebook page with lots of photos do? So modern. And we are not rich, but not poor. My husband put $13,000 kiwi dollars (over $10,000 US) in NZ bank in my name, and I have debit cards for the world, he says for emergency and for me knowing money. The money is still there in my name. My husband kept no receipt for the money put in Kiwi Bank, but he says he can put in more and save receipt. Like you suggested.

If he put $25,000 US in my bank, or maybe some more, would it make immigration smooth? If it will, I can wait for the US for college. My husband knows our love, but he also laughs about old US song after WWI, “How do you keep ‘em down on the farm once they’ve seen Paree.?” His new song is “How do you keep Linh down on the farm once she’s seen En Zee (NZ)?” He knows the boring rice farm with the same cheap food every meal every day is my perfect idea of hell.

GMT, oh yes, right the first time. A dream. And my husband is putting me on his taxes jointly. And we can mix money more. And thank you for the kind support.

I think the new GED just got a lot harder. One of problems for me is I write slowly. Some of colleges, like I think Charter Oak, do not require high school, just three college courses to enter Charter Oak. A lot of community colleges online say if you are an adult with no diploma, and they think you will benefit at college, welcome.

As I said, I want an AS or some kind degree, but also education. Maybe latter is most important. I really like to know things. So I worry if CLEP will mostly just give credits.

I am so sorry, wrong forum for most of this stuff. I will go right to Visa Journey now. But I am lucky to find you immigrants by chance.

linh
Linh,

I want to ask you a question is your husband an American citizen or from some other country?
It seems like you have some talent with your ability to tie flies. Have you ever considered building an online business that sold flies across the world through the internet? (you'd have to research the types for different places of course) If you were able to have a small business and prove you earned enough money to live off this would also help prove that you won't end up a burden to the American government. Since it's online you could do it from anywhere I envy you, I haven't seen a trout jump since I got here. Were I live you can't eat more than two trout per week because of the chemicals in the fish make people sick.
Regarding bank accounts, having the same visa's is good also having an account were his name and your name are on the same account is important. (This only applies if you are married to an American) If you are married to a non American it will be your ability to provide for yourself that will count.
Current Credits

Irish Education

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 421 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,886 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Curious about Guild Education Vle045 8 1,137 05-19-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worldwide Education Services (WES) Shelf life? nyrsimon 3 475 04-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: nyrsimon
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 440 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 2,696 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 483 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 540 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 709 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 558 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM