Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a new policy
I have been working on earning credits through sophia and SCM with the hope of applying to Excelsior. 

On Excelsior's website it now says you can transfer up to 90 credits. I swear it was more than that. Excelsior's transfer guides show more than 90 credits being transferred. Is the 90 credit transfer a new policy and a way for Excelsior to make more money? If so, I may have to look into other options as Excelsior is very expensive per credit hour.

Found on excelsior . edu/ partner/ study - com/ - not sure if allowed to share links so I put spaces in
Welcome to the board, it's a great first post and a good introduction to get the ball rolling, I highly suggest you to fill in the addendum and template to provide us more details on your particular scenario. The more details, the better we will be equipped to assist you further. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

There may have been some changes, but seems fine for the bulk of the people here on the forum, regardless of those particular changes. Link: https://www.excelsior.edu/start-with-mor...uidelines/

What are the time limits on transfer credits?

Some programs place time limits on certain credits to ensure they meet academic standards. However, if you earned credits many years ago, you may benefit by enrolling in Excelsior’s BS in Liberal Arts program, which does not place any time limits on transfer credits. In this program, you may transfer in as many as 113 credits, and then simply complete a cornerstone, capstone, and information literacy course to graduate.

Courses completed over 10 years prior to submitting your enrollment agreement may be appealed by submitting a time-limit appeal form with your application.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-31-2023, 10:07 PM)smithpaint Wrote: I have been working on earning credits through sophia and SCM with the hope of applying to Excelsior. 

On Excelsior's website it now says you can transfer up to 90 credits. I swear it was more than that. Excelsior's transfer guides show more than 90 credits being transferred. Is the 90 credit transfer a new policy and a way for Excelsior to make more money? If so, I may have to look into other options as Excelsior is very expensive per credit hour.

Found on excelsior . edu/ partner/ study - com/ - not sure if allowed to share links so I put spaces in

I believe what you are referring to is the 90 credit limit from a single source. If you look at the webpages for the degrees themselves, it displays the max transfer credits for each degree, which is higher than the 90 credit limit. https://www.excelsior.edu/program/bachel...anagement/

So spread your alternative credits around a bit and you will be fine.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, all of my credits have been earned in the past 13 months through CLEP, SCM, and Sophia. I have about 12 more classes to take (mostly UL) that I had planned with SCM. Then all I had to do was transfer to Excelsior and take 3 classes - maybe 4 and have my bachelor's in business.

I didn't realize that you could only transfer 90 from one source. I may have to look into UMPI. I cannot afford to take more than a few classes at Excelsior because of their cost. With me only needing UL credits from here on out, are there other options to save money? 

Still need (and had planned through SCM)

9 UL science and arts credits 
12 UL business credits (9 of those being my concentration which was going to be finance)

Also was looking at business writing through Coopersmith. 

Other than that, I've taken everything else towards the business major besides the cornerstone, information literacy, and business data analysis. I have worked so hard to plan this out but somehow missed the 90 credits from one source aspect.
@smithpaint, I don't recall Excelsior having that limit, it shows the same for the Sophia.org partnership as well. TESU has the limit for 90 credits from each source... Sometimes it's easy to get around these with applicable workarounds that are available, here's my suggestion when you're done with all the requirements, apply to them, do not send your transcripts in, when you get an application response, email them to verify. The application is free, subsequent transcript evaluations are $300, so don't send anything in yet... And again, as per my original response, please do both the addendum and template so we get a bigger overall picture of your situation.

(01-01-2024, 12:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @smithpaint, I don't recall Excelsior having that limit, it shows the same for the Sophia.org partnership as well.  TESU has the limit for 90 credits from each source...  Sometimes it's easy to get around these with applicable workarounds that are available, here's my suggestion when you're done with all the requirements, apply to them, do not send your transcripts in, when you get an application response, email them to verify.  The application is free, subsequent transcript evaluations are $300, so don't send anything in yet... And again, as per my original response, please do both the addendum and template so we get a bigger overall picture of your situation.

Your Location - Ohio
Your Age: 43
What kind of degree do you want? Bachelor's in business and then pursue my master's. I have a part-time job and homeschool my kids. I am working on college, hoping to get a full-time job in a few years when the kids are grown.

Current Regional Accredited Credits
One Credit from Arizona State University Universal Learners – That’s it.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits

Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (CLEP)

Study .com
Business 308 Globalization and International Management
Communications 301 Diversity and Intercultural
Business 307 Leadership and Organizational Behavior
Business 104 Information Systems and Computer
Accounting 102 Intro to Managerial Accounting
Math 101 College Algebra
Business 212 Business Statistics
Philosophy 103 Ethics
History 103 US History I
History 104 US History II
Business 109 Intro to Computing
Earth Science 104 Intro to Meteorology
Finance 101 Principles to Finance
Business 100 Intro to Business
Communication 102 Interpersonal communication
Business 203 Intro to Retail Merchandising
Hospitality 105 Intro to Tourism
Business 121 Intro to Entrepreneurship
Finance 102 Personal Finance
Business 202 Intro To E-Commerce
Business 102 Principles of Marketing
Business 108 Business Ethics
Business 106 Human Resource Management
Business 107 Organizational Behavior
Business 111 Principles of Supervision
Business 101 Principles of Management

Sophia
Business 1010 Financial Accounting
Econ 1001 Macroeconomics
Econ 1002 Microeconomics
Business Law 1001

I am working on English Comp I through Sophia currently. 

I had planned on taking (through study.com if allowed) -

Bus 313 Organizational Communication
Psych 315 Psychology of Motivation (for UL Arts and Sciences)
Psych 316 Advanced Social Psychology (for UL Arts and Sciences)
Soc 305 Sociology of Work (for UL Arts and Sciences)
Fin 104 Financial Management (for concentration)
Fin 301 Corporate Finance (UL concentration)
Fin 302 International Finance (UL concentration) 
Fin 306 Small business Finance (UL concentration)
Fin 303 or 304 (to finish out concentration)

The last class I contemplated was Coopersmith Business Writing. 

Budget: The least amount of money possible. Will not qualify for financial aid. Paying with income from a part-time job.
Commitments: Work weekends and spend 3-4 hours per day homeschooling my kids.
Dedicated time to study: 2-3 hours per day. I am someone who works quickly though.  
Timeline: I have my associate degree and lots of credits towards a bachelor’s. I would like to finish in the next 12-18 months.  
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No. 
@smithpaint, You're a stay at home mom? Cool, when you mentioned associates, did you do the Pierpont BOG AAS? I'm not sure why you took so many classes at Study.com, it's usually the Sophia.org and Study.com combo, with a majority of classes with Sophia.org instead for the lower level requirements, Study.com would mainly be used for the upper level credits.

Excelsior is usually not the one I recommend for Business, nor the BSLA, your best bets are UMPI BABA, and TESU BSBA (flat rate). I suggest looking at the WIKI for the plans to TESU & UMPI and find with one may suit you more, review them and create a spreadsheet to compare. 3 sessions at UMPI would be about the same price as TESU flat rate or Excelsior with 10 credits.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • smithpaint
Excelsior has been getting "weird" lately with credit acceptance and new policies. It wouldn't surprise me that they only accept 90 credits (for some degrees, at least) and haven't fully updated their site yet. UMPI is generally a better choice, for many reasons.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • smithpaint
My twins applied and were accepted at Excelsior just 3 weeks ago. They both transferred in 114 credits. You can see the sources in my signature.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second Degree Policy harrypotter 29 4,805 01-20-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Kab