Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is regional accreditation still important for grad school?
I have heard people say the reasons regional accreditation is important for the undergrad:

1. If one wants to transfer to another college, a lot of colleges won't accept credits from a non-regionally accredited college.

2. A lot of grad schools won't accept a BA/BS from non-regionally accredited colleges.

But, after you have your undergrad from a regionally accredited college, is it still important to attend a grad school that is regionally accredited?

I was looking at CSU (Columbia Southern University). They have some Master's programs I am interested in and they are in Orange Beach, Alabama (which looked like a pretty nice spot for graduation :o. But, before i research things further, I would love to get your opinions on this. Do employers look at regional accreditation with the importance that other universities do? Thanks!

Online Degree Programs - Columbia Southern University
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Deleted............

It depends on the purpose for earning the degree.
I have a hard time warming to non regionally accredited degrees. I do understand that there is good education available outside of the RA camp....but do I really want to spend time, money, and effort on a degree process that may be questioned by potential employers down the road? No program I have looked at (had an interest in), has ever demonstrated itself fully worthwhile IMO. New Charter for example had an MBA track that was cheap and interesting, but why would one embark down that path when Patton or WGU were nearly as affordable yet came with RA.

If your doing it purely for the personal enrichment experience then maybe, but even then I'm gonna lean towards just putting together a free MOOC based program or something.

With all that said I do know people with NA degrees (or even full on unaccredited degrees), that are doing just fine for themselves. I wouldn't likely spend my money and time on such programs. (Jennifer tell me where I'm wrong).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
It's important if you ever want to teach college courses. Other than that, private employers don't know the difference. Some state and local agencies will only accept regional accreditation for employment and/or licensure. The federal government considers NA and RA to be equal. I once saw a federal job that required ACBSP or AACSB accreditation. Some large, private organizations have posted job ads requiring or preferring AACSB accreditation, but this is rare.

One thing to consider is that there are RA schools that are cheaper than CSU. FHSU is one of them.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I had a great conversation today with SEMO (Southeast Missouri State University). I need to take the statistics DSST and the GMAT or GRE and then I'll apply. They are AACSB accredited which is great. Online programs are in-state tuition and you can't beat that. I can get this Masters for under 10K. The application deadline is November 21. I have plenty of time to apply. I'm giving myself a deadline of September 1, 2014 to get the tests completed. That will give me two months to study for the statistics exam and two months to study for the GRE or GMAT. By the way, is the GRE easier? They said they'll accept either of them.

Here's a major issue for non-regionally accredited schools;

YOU CANNOT RECEIVE FINANCIAL AID!

Even if the institution has national accreditation, the students of an institution with only national accreditation cannot receive federal financial aid (not including state aid or GI Bill benefits).
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Are online programs really the same as the in state tuition rate? I couldn't find that anywhere on their website when I looked.

soliloquy Wrote:I had a great conversation today with SEMO (Southeast Missouri State University). I need to take the statistics DSST and the GMAT or GRE and then I'll apply. They are AACSB accredited which is great. Online programs are in-state tuition and you can't beat that. I can get this Masters for under 10K. The application deadline is November 21. I have plenty of time to apply. I'm giving myself a deadline of September 1, 2014 to get the tests completed. That will give me two months to study for the statistics exam and two months to study for the GRE or GMAT. By the way, is the GRE easier? They said they'll accept either of them.
BSU -ABA Certificate Program --In Progress

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014
I completed 63 credits in 15 weeks using this forum!

AAS -Web Design 2003
82.5 BM credits over 10 years old

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
SAYLOR: 2014 -Principles of Marketing 80%, -Corporate Communication 74%
ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics 76% (23 hours study time over 5 days)
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
Straighterline: ACC I 90.1%, ACC II 82.2%
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TECEP using IC flashcards: Public Relations Thought and Practice 78%
TESC PLA 100
rebel100 Wrote:I have a hard time warming to non regionally accredited degrees. I do understand that there is good education available outside of the RA camp....but do I really want to spend time, money, and effort on a degree process that may be questioned by potential employers down the road? No program I have looked at (had an interest in), has ever demonstrated itself fully worthwhile IMO. New Charter for example had an MBA track that was cheap and interesting, but why would one embark down that path when Patton or WGU were nearly as affordable yet came with RA.

If your doing it purely for the personal enrichment experience then maybe, but even then I'm gonna lean towards just putting together a free MOOC based program or something.

With all that said I do know people with NA degrees (or even full on unaccredited degrees), that are doing just fine for themselves. I wouldn't likely spend my money and time on such programs. (Jennifer tell me where I'm wrong).

You're not wrong, it depends on what Soliloquy wants/needs. NA degrees are sometimes popular in trade occupations or niche fields....but we're talking grad school, so it's an iffy question. I'm of a similar mindset- if you're going to do the work ANYWAY..... I can think of many examples of NA undergrad programs that would work for specific fields. I was waiting to hear how/why/where this hypothetical degree would be earned/used before giving a full opinion.
publius2k4 Wrote:Here's a major issue for non-regionally accredited schools;

YOU CANNOT RECEIVE FINANCIAL AID!

Even if the institution has national accreditation, the students of an institution with only national accreditation cannot receive federal financial aid (not including state aid or GI Bill benefits).

That's not true. The US Dept of Ed recognizes many national accreditors. Check the database, it's completely legit. My husband and I both hold NA degrees that we used Pell Grant and Good ol' Sallie Mae for. U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs

EDIT: Better link - any school accredited by the accreditors on this list will participate in FA http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Agencies.aspx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accreditation of Christian Orgnization hsufeng 3 131 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,798 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,675 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,308 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,283 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 985 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,870 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 565 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 418 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 968 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia