Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International student.
Hi, I'm from Singapore seeking help with planning and would like some advice on what to go for/do. I didn't do well in my polytechnic due to depression and graduated with a poor GPA, which basically cuts off traditional UNI routes in Singapore. Due to some other personal circumstances, I will be traveling to and fro Singapore and US for the next few years hence I'm looking for alternatives to get a bachelor's. I just finished my national service and have a lot of free time. Currently, I'm considering TESU and SNHU. Just want to hear some opinions and advice regarding what makes the most sense for my situation.

My main concerns are the cost and time. I have around 15k saved up from my national service and am planning to work starting next month to fund it, but ideally the cheaper the merrier.

TL: DR, wondering what school makes the most sense for an international student. 

Thank you very much for your time 

PS. I want a degree in CS. Also, i have a friend in the US who is fine with letting me stay at their place if i need to stay in the US for study.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ApesTgtStrong's post:
  • akr680
It depends on what your end goal is. TESU will be faster and slightly cheaper. However, most of the credits will not have a grade. In the US, this isn't usually a problem. For international purposes, this may make a difference. I don't know if it matters for Singapore. With TESU, you could get a double degree (Comp Sci and a BSBA in Computer Information Systems) for only slightly more work. You cannot do that with SNHU.

If it matters, you will not be able to get a student visa for any online school. You would need to study in-person for a student visa. If you don't need a student visa, then that doesn't matter.

Both schools should be significantly less than $15k from start to finish when you use alternate sources like Sophia.org and Study.com. There are degree plans for both TESU and SNHU on the wiki.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Welcome to the board! You're explaining what you want but not providing much more info for us to help you.  This is why we have a template and last post addendum; I highly suggest you update your current post with the info that's missing here, we can help you further once we know more details: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-D...ing-Advice

In addition to what was mentioned by RachelAZ83, you should work towards both SNHU/TESU as each of them allow you to transfer a max of 90 alternative credits into the degree program. Find the requirements for both Comp Science programs and the courses that can transfer, work on them until you're done... You can apply to both and see which one becomes more favorable...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I know less about this than many on the board but one question that comes up is "Just how bad was that GPA?"    The main reason for knowing is that it might provide an indication of how many of those credits of yours might actually be acceptable by any university.  Another question might be related to your preference for taking standard types of online courses versus completing any of the various available equivalencies.  Also, it seems that money is not a particular problem for you.  If that's the case then you should know that there are many more choices than TESU or SNHU.
(09-19-2022, 05:09 PM)Alpha Wrote: I know less about this than many on the board but one question that comes up is "Just how bad was that GPA?"    The main reason for knowing is that it might provide an indication of how many of those credits of yours might actually be acceptable by any university.  Another question might be related to your preference for taking standard types of online courses versus completing any of the various available equivalencies.  Also, it seems that money is not a particular problem for you.  If that's the case then you should know that there are many more choices than TESU or SNHU.

I think that "polytechnic" here is something akin to high school? If so, probably no credits would transfer to an American university, even with straight As.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-20-2022, 04:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 05:09 PM)Alpha Wrote: I know less about this than many on the board but one question that comes up is "Just how bad was that GPA?"    The main reason for knowing is that it might provide an indication of how many of those credits of yours might actually be acceptable by any university.  Another question might be related to your preference for taking standard types of online courses versus completing any of the various available equivalencies.  Also, it seems that money is not a particular problem for you.  If that's the case then you should know that there are many more choices than TESU or SNHU.

I think that "polytechnic" here is something akin to high school? If so, probably no credits would transfer to an American university, even with straight As.

That all depends. In UK they were college/universities. Though talking about 'routes into university' you are probably right.
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

@ApesTgtStrong, if you're just wanting to get the degree cheaper, easier, faster, then TESU is the route to go, I would recommend the 16 credit residency requirement to slightly bump up the GPA if you get good grades in them... However, if you want to bump up your GPA for a semi competitive or more competitive program at the Masters level, then SNHU may be better for you as 30 credits would need to be completed at SNHU.

It really doesn't matter which institution you select, there are other options if you're just wanting a quick degree and then ladder to an inexpensive yet open admissions (non selective) Masters that is more applied, like a Masters in Applied Computer Science. These programs allow non CS undergrad majors into the program as long as they have the minimum requirements, generally a couple of computer courses at most...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 406 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,622 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  International GCSE Sciences (EU/UK) Info bjcheung77 6 529 05-07-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 510 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 329 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 568 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 1,155 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US student visa issuances now exceed pre-COVID levels bjcheung77 1 543 12-26-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 538 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 918 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM