Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incomplete B.S Bio to B.A CJ
(05-24-2023, 12:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 10:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Or get a bachelor's degree in liberal arts and then a master's in forensic psychology.

I'd lean that way too, except that the Master's in Forensic Psych is $22k, while the bachelor's could come in at around $10k.

I think it really depends on what the job you want requires - if you have to get a master's to get into the job, then I agree with ss20ts.  But if you just need a bachelor's degree, then it would behoove you to spend a bit more on the bachelor's (more expensive than UMPI, EU, and TESU) and get the bachelor's that will help most in your career.

If they really want to get into a field which requires a master's in forensic psychology then I would totally go for UMPI's BLS. Pick 1 of the 5 minors and be done in 2 sessions. It would cost $2800 for UMPI and then whatever is remaining on Sophia to fill the GEC. They could be a graduate in the fall and ready to move onto their master's.

ETA: With having so many UL courses, I'd apply to UMPI today, send the transcripts and see how the courses all transfer in so you know what's left. The BLS requires 24 UL credits. UMPI used to require that the majority of those UL credits had to be completed at UMPI, but I'm seeing several students transfer in more than 12 UL credits so maybe they've loosened up on this policy.

ETA: Just a super quick review of their credits and I see that they need Spanish 1, US Government, Intro to Ethics (might be waived for the religion courses), and Art History 1 from Sophia and they'd be all set to start UMPI. They would need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI.
Yes, I am pretty firm on getting my bachelor's in CJ because I am planning on getting my doctorate. I want to be a licensed forensic psychologist and I can earn my masters in a doctorate program. Also, I want my bachelor's to help me get a job more based in what I want to do eventually.
(05-24-2023, 03:07 PM)fthlee08 Wrote: Yes, I am pretty firm on getting my bachelor's in CJ because I am planning on getting my doctorate. I want to be a licensed forensic psychologist and I can earn my masters in a doctorate program. Also, I want my bachelor's to help me get a job more based in what I want to do eventually.

How does a bachelor's in CJ help you to become a licensed forensic psychologist? As opposed to a bachelor's degree in liberal arts? Legit question and no snark. Just something to research. Sometimes licensed fields have more wiggle room in the undergrad degree because they focus so heavily on the graduate degrees.
(05-24-2023, 03:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 03:07 PM)fthlee08 Wrote: Yes, I am pretty firm on getting my bachelor's in CJ because I am planning on getting my doctorate. I want to be a licensed forensic psychologist and I can earn my masters in a doctorate program. Also, I want my bachelor's to help me get a job more based in what I want to do eventually.

How does a bachelor's in CJ help you to become a licensed forensic psychologist? As opposed to a bachelor's degree in liberal arts? Legit question and no snark. Just something to research. Sometimes licensed fields have more wiggle room in the undergrad degree because they focus so heavily on the graduate degrees.

Agreed.  There is literally no reason to get a CJ degree over anything else if you are planning on getting a PhD in Forensic Psych.  There's really no reason to even get your bachelor's in Psych either.

If you KNOW that you're going to go further with your education, then your best bet is to get ANY inexpensive degree and get working on the master's/PhD sooner rather than later.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
Thank you guys for the help. I reached out to some family friends who are professors and I think I am going to continue in pursuing my bachelor's in CJ. I want to be comfortable when going into my Ph.D. So I am going to compare TESU and UMPI
(05-30-2023, 08:25 AM)fthlee08 Wrote: Thank you guys for the help. I reached out to some family friends who are professors and I think I am going to continue in pursuing my bachelor's in CJ. I want to be comfortable when going into my Ph.D. So I am going to compare TESU and UMPI

In the end it if you feel it is the right degree for you, then it is the one you should pursue (& complete!). Good news is that you have two good options between TESU and UMPI.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

@fthlee08, great job in deciding on what path you want to follow. This situation reminded me so much of when I was in private message mode with Supermind, one of our members, he also asked professors and questioned me the same way. Ultimately, I advised him to do TESU ASNSM Math, BALS-Psych, Walden Masters Psych, and he later joined the Psy Chi Society. I think you already have enough credits for the Biology minor at TESU and UMPI, you can just add the minor without extra courses or time, so I think it's a valid addition especially since there is no extra cost...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-30-2023, 01:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @fthlee08, great job in deciding on what path you want to follow.  This situation reminded me so much of when I was in private message mode with Supermind, one of our members, he also asked professors and questioned me the same way.  Ultimately, I advised him to do TESU ASNSM Math, BALS-Psych, Walden Masters Psych, and he later joined the Psy Chi Society.  I think you already have enough credits for the Biology minor at TESU and UMPI, you can just add the minor without extra courses or time, so I think it's a valid addition especially since there is no extra cost...

It doesn't look like they have genetics which is a requirement for the Bio Minor at UMPI. Depending on how UMPI accepts their bio courses, they may have Gen Bio 1 & 2 and the required UL credits, but without an application and transcript evaluation, there's no way to say for sure. Genetics is not offered in YourPace. There aren't any science courses outside of the GEC requirements available in YourPace. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....3&poid=287

ETA: If the OP is determined to go for the CJ, then I would lean towards TESU. UMPI has that 100 hour work experience in LE requirement that's part of one of the required courses. It is up to the student to find this work experience and the professor has to approve it. I know students have struggled finding that experience without working in LE currently. I don't think TESU has this type of required course so that could make the degree easier to complete. TESU may be more open to electives that could also be useful for the OP's future such as a psych minor and possibly a bio minor if the OP has the required courses completed already.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Milestones" incomplete TennisCoach 10 1,959 12-18-2021, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Ann7