Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Individual self-paced courses for credit
Hi, I am trying to complete a long-delayed degree at a major state university. I arrived on campus in 1989, passed over 120 hours (but not meeting all degree requirements), and left as a senior in good standing due to work and other life concerns at the time.

In 2011, I re-enrolled, but probably wasn't ready - I had a major work scenario unfold (a merger that ended up getting our entire 400-person division eliminated), and didn't handle it properly, so I flunked four classes.

I have been re-admitted for a third time. I am just barely above a 2.0 and on academic warning.

I need to complete a Renaissance British literature class, a World Literature class, a Rhetoric class, a Math class, and also, 5 hours (2 classes) of interdisciplinary classes, and meet a diversity requirement. Oh, I also need a one-hour physical education/fitness class.

The three English classes all need to be upper level undergraduate at my university, though they may be categorized differently at the other school.

Since I have plenty of hours and just need to meet requirements, classes can meet more than one requirement. I could theoretically finish with 13 hours, but in practice, I think I need 16 hours, or maybe 19 hours.

- Nearly any math class would do. Like "topics in contemporary math," or "introduction to statistics."
- A technical writing class might count for both Rhetoric and one of the interdisciplinary classes.
- The Renaissance Brit lit class might be hard to find anywhere except my university because it's a short list of option. No survey type classes would work. It would need to be something like Milton, or some other specific things.
- The World Lit class is a bit broader, but not by much. That might also be difficult to find an exact match.
- There are exactly five classes at my university that would count as both the second interdisciplinary class, and a diversity class. For example, "Women in Science & Technology" would count. Or, "Introduction to American Studies."

I can transfer in up to 15 hours; that is, 30 of my last 45 hours must be at my university, and so far, they all are. I must be enrolled at my university in my final term before graduation, which means I must take at least one class there.

That is the long setup for a perhaps short question ... at least shorter than the setup!

I have checked course offerings and in most cases actual summer and fall availabilities for:

- Wisconsin flex - they offer two classes I need for sure, and possibly a third depending how my interdisciplinary classes are counted
- UMPI - I can't find much there for my requirements
- WGU - they offer two classes that would work for me. They fill the same categories as the UW-Flex classes, so there isn't an advantage in doing both

The University of Florida has more options, especially in English Lit, but I am not sure how, or if, they take visiting students or what classes will actually be available, and I am not sure how self-paced their classes are.

The reason I am trying to do this is that my main university's classes may be online asynchronous, but they are not self-paced, and even the asynchronous offerings are sparse compared with scheduled online lectures, or on-campus options ... and since I am looking for specific, upper level classes for some of these, that could become a sticking point.

I have also thought about just transferring, and doing more classes somewhere else and trusting that it will still work out if I choose a school with self-paced study. That is, maybe 30 self-paced hours somewhere else will go faster than 16-18 asynchronous or (shudder) in-person classes where I am now.

I am sort of thinking out loud, don't have anybody in person who knows this world to bounce ideas off of, and hoping for some insight or suggestions. I can provide more details as needed.

Thanks!
See this page for several options for credits: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...ng_Courses

For Math, I would recommend ASU Universal Learner's Online College Math: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/college-mathematics-mat-142/

BYU IS might also be an option - for example, they have Persuasive Writing at the 300-level (upper level) as an option: https://is.byu.edu/catalog/WRTG-312-301-001
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 2 users Like jg_nuy's post:
  • Kjnova, Pikachu
The only class you need that UMPI offers is a math class. It's not worth the $$$.

With WGU, you have to apply and enroll. You can't just take classes. You also can't take whatever classes you want. They don't have an English degree so that's out as well.

Maybe some TECEP exams from TESU?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Kjnova
Thanks, I'll look into the TECEP exams. It looks like they offer Technical Writing, and a Math that could work for me. I'll read up on how these tests work, like if they have the course material that you can read at your own pace, or if you can retake them.

I guess once TESU puts it on your transcript, they should transfer like any other TESU credits would transfer, in other words, not be rejected based on class format.

I also forgot to mention that my university only accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited schools, not nationally accredited. The suggestions so far are regionally accredited, just mentioning in case it affects any other suggestions.

There could be some hope of finding a World Lit class that would transfer. It is slim pickings, but it only takes one. Classes that should transfer are African Literature in English (from Africa, not African-American); Modernism; Post-Modernism; Classical Backgrounds of English Literature; Biblical Backgrounds of English Literature.

There are also some focused studies on (for example) "Major World Author" that have specific subjects that vary by semester, so I'm not sure if that would be easy or difficult to match up for transfer credit. I guess it wouldn't need to be the same author, but, it needs to be non-U.S.

I wonder if any universities would allow me to do an independent study in these subjects?
Here's a list of CBE programs, maybe take a session at one of these institutions if they have the classes you're looking for. There may be other options located on the WIKI as well, I suggest reviewing a couple more pages. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Obscure_Credits
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Kjnova, Pikachu
Would they accept Coopersmith courses that are ACE approved? There's quite a lot of biblical classes.

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Avidreader's post:
  • Kjnova
I doubt my university (NCSU) would accept anything other than regionally accredited. It is kind of a stickler, "get off my lawn" type university. Are there common techniques to use ACE to get a transfer credit at a university that does accept it, and then transfer that to a different university? Or maybe it doesn't work that way.

Thanks for the suggestions!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • Tedium
Basically, they take alternative credits, but to a minimum, such as AP/IB/CLEP, foreign credits... 
And for military, there are some options.  Link: https://admissions.ncsu.edu/apply/credit-opportunities/
CLEP: https://admissions.ncsu.edu/apply/credit...gram-clep/
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Kjnova
I did get credit for an AP U.S. History exam, back when Mark Wahlberg was Marky Mark. But I don't think I have any remaining opportunities for that. No military background, either. Maybe CLEP could work for math. I would have to actually learn calculus, though!
(05-27-2024, 09:56 PM)Kjnova Wrote: I did get credit for an AP U.S. History exam, back when Mark Wahlberg was Marky Mark. But I don't think I have any remaining opportunities for that. No military background, either. Maybe CLEP could work for math. I would have to actually learn calculus, though!

Would you, though? Not that I would want to dissuade anyone from expanding their knowledge by adding calculus to their repertoire, but that sounds like that's overkill. Last I checked, CLEP also has tests for Precalculus, College Algebra, and College Mathematics. If basically anything math-related will work for you, how about one of those? And if you go through Modern States, the whole thing will end up free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes inor's post:
  • Kjnova

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 7,231 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  ASU's non-proctored courses rachel83az 66 16,646 02-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 519 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 822 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 35,973 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 41,606 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 3,563 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 1,228 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM
  Self-paced online that uses physical textbooks? pluggingalong 6 1,628 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  New ASU ULC Courses: 1 in Physics (no lab), 2 in Organizational doom 30 4,830 03-07-2023, 09:19 AM
Last Post: doom