Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT Networking - CC, Distance Learning, or Self-Taught?
Will the program prepare you for cloud networking and security? Probably not. There is a shortage of people who can securely connect on-premise networks to the major cloud providers. Then there's the entire DevOps for cloud environments. Will any of your options teach you how to secure and connect IoT devices?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:Will the program prepare you for cloud networking and security?

Unlikely

clep3705 Wrote:Will any of your options teach you how to secure and connect IoT devices?

Not really sure. Leaning towards unlikely.

Networking courses offered at local CC are:

Intro to computer networks
Routing and switching essentials
Scaling internetworks
Implementing WANs
Network security (Can be taken after the previous 4 courses are completed)

This series of courses takes 1.5-2 years to complete.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
a423burt Wrote:It is true Security is hot. If you don't mind doing a lot of writing, documenting, policy and compliance reports then it is a great field to be int. The fact that you are willing to pay your dues and go into helpdesk will pay off. When people ask me what to do I tell them the best way is to not set your mind on a specific IT area (network, Server Support, Security, etc.) since once you start you might find areas that you like and have opportunities to move into. Study and get your CCNA that will get you into a lot of job interviews and get you into a helpdesk. I would use UNL (unified networking lab) and do labs along with self paced study. Nothing will prepare you more than doing labs and then reading why you configure what you do. Learn why and how things work vs. just how to make it work.

Once you get a job keep getting certs and keep job jumping. After 6 months in a job your learning will slow so it is time to move on. After a couple of years you can start to settle in to a longer term job.

Don't waste time on comptia test unless you plan to stay in helpdesk- outside of helpdesk jobs they are not thought of very highly.

And overall, follow you gut and take all of our advice with skepticism.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'm now leaning towards self-studying for some compTIA certs in order to land a help desk position.

Plan is to land a help-desk/support position, learn as much as possible, job-hop when I stall (unless it is a big company with good chances of upward mobility/career potential), and continue to attain relevant certs in my off-time.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
good luck with you studies.

I got a lot out of using Professor Messer's videos for both my A+ And Sec+.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
JTP Wrote:good luck with you studies.

I got a lot out of using Professor Messer's videos for both my A+ And Sec+.

Thanks! Already underway with the studies.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
JTP, did you do Net+ by any chance? Aside from the superb Prof Messer, any other recommendations for this particular cert? The often suggested Mike Meyers isn't doing it for me. He's glossing over things like subnetting, which I am weak in and imagine will be a huge part of the exam.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:JTP, did you do Net+ by any chance? Aside from the superb Prof Messer, any other recommendations for this particular cert? The often suggested Mike Meyers isn't doing it for me. He's glossing over things like subnetting, which I am weak in and imagine will be a huge part of the exam.

Its been a while since I got my Net+ but subnetting wasn't that involved. Know the default ranges, what a subnet mask is, ip addresses, apipa, loopback, etc. If you want more detail find a used copy of one of the Cisco study guides from Todd Lammle. The topic is most likely in the ICND1 material.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Sorry never did net+. If I was going to take it I'd probably go to techexams.net and browse the comptia thread looking for recent passed exam posts where people list what they used to study and where they felt the material fell short.

That's what I did for my Certified Ethical Hacker and Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator certs. It really helped me focus my studies and not waste time on inadequate info.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 324 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,164 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,427 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 894 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,367 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,056 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Ways to Use ChatGPT for Language Learning? LevelUP 1 557 01-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Genius Group (Amazon of Lifelong Learning) bjcheung77 0 410 10-15-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Learning and Accreditation Alpha 0 500 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Portage Learning RoyalSpade 0 607 09-02-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: RoyalSpade