Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm not sure what to do
(12-03-2021, 02:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think a BSBA in CIS from TESU is a good option; EC is also a decent option, and less expensive than TESU, but it would just be a business degree; although they also have a BSPS degree, which is similar to a business degree but has more space for free electives than the BSB does (9cr of Free Electives for the BSB vs. 33cr of free electives for the BPS - so you can take a lot of IT courses to put there).  COSC also has a business degree, as well as an option to do a BSLA degree where you can do half business, half something else as the concentration (Psych?) and then there's tons of space for IT electives.

Your best bet right now, is to go to all 3 schools and do some research about the different options at each, and then come back, ask some questions, and start putting a plan together.  The good thing to know is that you can't really screw this up at this early hour!  You have plenty of time to figure it out.  Keep taking CLEP exams, you can use them at any of the Big 3 (except EC won't take the College Comp exam, but who cares at this point).

BTW, are you using ModernStates.org to study for the exams, and get free vouchers to take them?  If not, you should!

(12-03-2021, 02:01 PM)rachel83az Wrote: IIRC, a member here wanted to get a business degree from Excelsior and there were a number of requirements that had to be filled with Excelsior courses and not alternate credits. Theoretically, that's not bad. But it does increase the total price of the degree and can potentially make it cost more than a degree from TESU.

I work with EC degrees all the time, and I've not heard that this is the case.  Can you tell me where someone said that?  I've always known (from EC) that you can do a business degree with 113cr transferred in from alt-credit.

Op, also look at the ACTFL exams: the OPI (speaking) exam has Cantonese and Mandarin, not sure which one you speak.  But you can earn up to 12cr from that exam.

Here's where you sign up to take the exams: https://www.languagetesting.com/certific...nformation

Here's the ACE guide showing which languages are available for this exam: https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...0d3a33232a

I can't find the specific thread because ss20ts has posted so much. But they were going for a business degree at Excelsior at one point before finally landing at UMPI because of how much of a hassle EC was being. Unfortunately, the OP here can't do UMPI because you need to be at least 20 years of age to enroll in YourPace.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-03-2021, 02:36 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 01:45 PM)Lanouki Wrote: I'm located in Texas and I can speak but not write Chinese. I'm basically left to my own devices all day so I don't know if that counts as home schooling, but I do study the same amount as public school students. I am not allowed to work, cannot drive, and basically have no obligations. I don't have a HS graduation or GED, but I can get a homeschool diploma whenever I decide to nag my father about it 
Your first step is completing your GED. You'll need that for many colleges.

Much easier is just having his dad do a homeschool diploma, which he said he could do.  I personally never recommend the GED if you have a diploma option - it has less stigma attached.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TwinMom