Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got offered a job in Honolulu
I got offered a full time job in Honolulu. It's not much of a pay increase, only $21 an hour. But good god, it's tempting to take it. Cost of living is incredibly high.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Tokyokacie
Aloha Hawaii! What offer, position were they looking for?! Wow, it's been a few years since I was in Hawaii, been there a few times. Last time I went with the wife and kids and that was a couple of months before I "started" or joined the ranks here with my journey back in Dec 2015... I made the decision to actually go with TESU while on my trip to Hawaii and document my progress, but instead I did the Beginners Guide a little later...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Depending on if you have children or not and the ages of them will drive your cost of living up greatly. If you have school age children the school system isn't the best, but it is getting better. If you like the outdoors there is so much to do if not then you can always island hop for pretty cheap and I would recommend going to places like Japan since it's cheaper to fly from Hawaii than from the mainland.

I've been living here for 4 years now.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

I don't know where you're living now but $21 in Honolulu may actually be a pay cut in comparison to your current salary. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp If you want to do it for a few years just to be able to say that you've lived in Hawaii, I say go for it! But definitely be aware that it's probably going to cost you more than where you are now.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • bluebooger
Take a trip out there, and look at rent, going to the grocery store, and filling up your tank. Then, decide if you could live on $21/hr. I think it's WAY too expensive in HI. My husband has had multiple offers to work there, and we always figured out that we would come out way behind what we were doing at the time, and that was living in CA. There was just never enough money to have as nice of a house as we had, or to be able to live the same lifestyle.

OTOH, if he'd been single at the time, I'm sure he would have gone anyway, at least for a couple of years.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Weren't you working on trying to help your sister and nephews? How could you do that from Hawaii? $21 an hour doesn't sound like much in Hawaii. Their COL is really high.
the good thing about working in hawaii if you're a woman is that you save money on clothes

need a new bra -- go pick some coconuts off a tree
need a new skirt -- just cut down some tall grass

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job Positions Offered/Obtained after getting a BA/BS Degree? acamp 7 1,743 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Last Post: quigongene