Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are discussion questions becoming irrelevant with AI??
(08-14-2024, 04:29 PM)Vle045 Wrote: As an update, I just got off of a Teams meeting with her.  I showed her the discussion board so she could see what I am seeing.  I also told her that I think part of the problem is that the instructor might not be reading the posts since every student gets the same reply.  She said she would report both concerns to the appropriate parties as they are two separate concerns.  The professors are expected to respond to the students’ individual posts. She said that she will leave my name out of it and just say it came up during an advising meeting.  She has access to the course room so she will go in and do a deeper dive.  I told her it’s always the one student every week.  And I might have seen one or two others, but I am not sure.  If there are others, they weren’t as blatant.

@davewill - You make a great point and it is similar to what my husband said and the thing that made me decide to say something.  It can call into question the integrity of the school and the program.  And the really funny thing is this week’s topic is  “Truth and Trust: Business Needs Cannot Replace Doing the Right Thing“.   Oh the IRONY!

Glad I was wrong about the usefulness of reporting the problem to the advisor.

(08-15-2024, 12:44 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: Where I come from, snitches get stitches. They're just hacking their degrees in a different way than you're hacking yours.
Can't agree with that. Finding low cost credits is perfectly legitimate. We've had credit sources in the past that have been dropped by schools because they cannot keep their academic integrity up. We were seeing people race through ridiculous amounts of credit in short time periods. Partly because it was possible to cheat on the tests.

Besides, the real problem in this case is the professor who seems too checked out to notice rather than the fact that an individual student is trying to cheat.

I suppose you're OK with people hiring others to write their papers and take their tests, too?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-15-2024, 12:44 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: Where I come from, snitches get stitches. They're just hacking their degrees in a different way than you're hacking yours.

Please join us in the real world and not the 4th grade playground. Cheating is not the same as hacking a degree. If they were hacking their degree, they would be taking ACE credits. They are not. They are paying for graduate courses at a university. Hardly the same thing. Additionally, the professor appears to have checked out. The professor is paid to teach a course and not ignore what is taking place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • davewill

Actually not at all.  Hacking, as many here do, is hacking time and cost.  Not blatant cheating.  However, for me personally, I got my bachelor’s degree in the 90’s the old fashioned way.  And this MBA I am doing slow and steady with mostly employer reimbursement.  My “hacking” is all the “side” learning such as 100 million learners, Coursera, Sophia, etc.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • davewill, ss20ts

I was thinking the same thing. Lol. 

Save the drama for your mama.  

btw, I don't think this was meant to be taken literally.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Holy Smokes folks.... So the clearly AI post.... I commented asking if they could provide the link to the article because I couldn't find it. (I worded it like I was interested to read it - not accusatory). Would you believe someone else replied "Thanks for sharing such an interesting article. I enjoyed reading it." ????? Dude. No, you didn't. It doesn't exist. There was no link. There was no author name given. There was no company mentioned. It was all vague buzzwords that could be literally anything. Yup, another lazy-a$$ confirming a cheater.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • davewill, ss20ts
(08-18-2024, 07:50 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Holy Smokes folks....  So the clearly AI post....  I commented asking if they could provide the link to the article because I couldn't find it.  (I worded it like I was interested to read it - not accusatory).  Would you believe someone else replied "Thanks for sharing such an interesting article.  I enjoyed reading it." ?????   Dude.  No, you didn't.  It doesn't exist.  There was no link.  There was no author name given.  There was no company mentioned.  It was all vague buzzwords that could be literally anything.  Yup, another lazy-a$$ confirming a cheater.

That's your chance to reply them saying, "Great!, then you can supply the link for me." However, they will not read it, and they certainly will not reply and admit they don't have a link because they never read the "article". They got credit for replying to the chat, and that's their only interest.

It's a little sad. A lot of people will take this as an indication that class discussion is useless and they should just stop requiring it. However, I think that a college level class should require a bit of idea exchange. However, if the prof doesn't give a damn, the students can only do so much.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-19-2024, 11:06 AM)davewill Wrote: I think that a college level class should require a bit of idea exchange.

I agree that students should ask themselves questions and express these questions in a way that inspires original thoughts and challenges existing assumptions.

Questions like:
  • An Historical Perspective to learn how things evolved to exist today?

• Is there alternative approaches?

• Is there optimizations that can be made?

• What is the purpose of this?

• Can innovation disrupt the current standard?

• What are ethical considerations?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,497 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 500 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 928 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,714 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 3,398 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 917 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 539 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,554 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 2,039 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,843 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl