Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschooled High School
Hi

I'm Vicki, I homeschool 2 daughters (TX) and one is getting ready to start high School in June (homeschool year round). She wants to work toward her degree in business while finishing high school. I would love to help her with this, but I'm not sure where to start.

I have read Jennifer's book and many other books, blogs and websites, but I still feel Unprepared to take this journey. If someone could point me in the right direction or give some advice on how to get things rolling. It would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking to go through TESU for her degree.

Thanks
THECB - Dual Credit - Frequently Asked Questions

Also join Jennifer's Texas FB group: texas homeschooling for college credit

I would first look for free or discounted dual enrollment options. I think Texas is likely to have them, know that New Mexico Junior College and Luna CC both have low cost dual enrollment options.

You can also consider bolstering dual enrollment with credit by exam. CLEP is particularly appealing as the vast majority of schools take at least some CLEP. DSST is good too, but CLEP is better known and more widely accepted. You can gear the homeschooling high school education towards specific CLEP exams with passing the CLEP at the end being your end goal.

In any case, success with homeschooling lies on good planning. You might begin by figuring out which courses in the general education category will apply. All schools for example will require English, Math, History, Social Science, and Natural Science. Provided the school you are considering accepts those CLEP's that is a great place to start and a great first step at achieving college credit, speeding the time to degree completion, and ultimately saving cost.

The Big 3 are OK, but I prefer the 2+2 method (usually) in your situation. Both my daughters use or used Credit by exam along with regular dual enrollment to achieve their associate degrees. ( youngest isn't done yet, oldest is essentially done with her bachelors already). Your CC or one of those mentioned earlier will understand the goal and respond better. That opens up the bachelors completion to any of a number of options.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank You so much

CC would not be a great fit for us right now because we travel a lot, but will look in to that later on down the road.

I will be pulling everything together in the up coming week. Hopefully I can get a schedule at least written down so I can see which way to go from there, wish me luck Smile
My kids took online courses almost exclusively. You could still be anywhere in the world, it's 2016.

Both the NM schools I listed could be completed without ever visiting that state.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I second Rebel 100. They're your kids and you know what is best for them, but there is somewhat of a general consensus here that the test out method works best for working adults who need a degree, not college age students with zero work experience. The larger schools offer better internship and recruitment opportunities than "The Big Three".

I made the plunge and homeschool our daughter. We're taking it a bit slow with her now, but the plan is to do concurrent enrollment with some CLEP/AP credit mixed in and then do a transfer.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
vlebanmayb Wrote:Hi

I'm Vicki, I homeschool 2 daughters (TX) and one is getting ready to start high School in June (homeschool year round). She wants to work toward her degree in business while finishing high school. I would love to help her with this, but I'm not sure where to start.

I have read Jennifer's book and many other books, blogs and websites, but I still feel Unprepared to take this journey. If someone could point me in the right direction or give some advice on how to get things rolling. It would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking to go through TESU for her degree.

Thanks

What your daughter wants to do is exactly what I did, getting a bachelor's degree in business while in high school. I used mostly exams like CLEP, DSST, and UExcel for my degree. For me this process was a great blessing, and I loved the whole experience. I now have a good start on my career (with a great job) and graduate studies. If this is what your daughter wants to do, don't be discouraged from letting her do it. To be honest, I am not sure why some say this process doesn't work for younger people. I respectfully disagree. It has worked well for so many - self included.

If you want to use TESU for a business degree, start by determining what the requirements are for this degree. Then find out which tests or online courses will satisfy those requirements. The degree forum wiki has some sample degree plans. I didn't use TESU, so others will have to help you with that, but I just wanted to encourage you that this does often work very well for people in your daughter's situation.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
rebel100 Wrote:THECB - Dual Credit - Frequently Asked Questions

Also join Jennifer's Texas FB group: texas homeschooling for college credit

I sent you the link via PM
cookderosa Wrote:I sent you the link via PM

Tried on my Android....couldn't make it work....
AS in EMS August 2010

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I started looking at the options you have suggested and think we will take this route. We will start with general education requirements and work from there.
topdog98 Wrote:What your daughter wants to do is exactly what I did, getting a bachelor's degree in business while in high school. I used mostly exams like CLEP, DSST, and UExcel for my degree. For me this process was a great blessing, and I loved the whole experience. I now have a good start on my career (with a great job) and graduate studies. If this is what your daughter wants to do, don't be discouraged from letting her do it. To be honest, I am not sure why some say this process doesn't work for younger people. I respectfully disagree. It has worked well for so many - self included.

If you want to use TESU for a business degree, start by determining what the requirements are for this degree. Then find out which tests or online courses will satisfy those requirements. The degree forum wiki has some sample degree plans. I didn't use TESU, so others will have to help you with that, but I just wanted to encourage you that this does often work very well for people in your daughter's situation.

Forgot to add the Quote to last post Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 586 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,736 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 369 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 669 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 528 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 340 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 457 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 268 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,149 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger