Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school senior who went viral for 'record' $10M in scholarships picks college
High school senior who went viral for 'record' $10M in scholarships picks college

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/high-s...e-decision
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
150 schools!!!! No wonder he got that amount. The best scholarships are a full ride at one college/university, you don't need more than that.
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

Just curious.If someone were to apply to 150 schools that are likely to accept their application, but ultimately only choose to attend one, could this potentially disadvantage other students?
How could it disadvantage others? The money and space will just go to another student. It's very common. Universities expect that a certain percentage of scholarships and offers will be turned down. Example: they make offers to 100 students, but based on past enrollment numbers, they only really want/expect to pay for 50 of those scholarships.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Free applications, free gear, free scholarships, what more do you want when you're in high school? I think there was a typo on one of the webpages I was reviewing the first time I read articles on this student, it mentioned a GPA of 4.98, I think it should be a 3.98... Anyways, great work for a young gun, sports and studies...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-07-2023, 10:53 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Free applications, free gear, free scholarships, what more do you want when you're in high school?  I think there was a typo on one of the webpages I was reviewing the first time I read articles on this student, it mentioned a GPA of 4.98, I think it should be a 3.98... Anyways, great work for a young gun, sports and studies...

No, his GPA is a 4.98. It's not a typo. Many schools give extra credit so to speak. Everywhere doesn't revolve around the 4.0 scale. Cornell has a funky scale so he'll be used to that. He was accepted into over 180 schools. One report said 186 and this one says 188. I don't know why anyone would spend this amount of time and energy into applications. Kid already has 27 college credits which is awesome. Hopefully, they'll be useful at Cornell. He's in for quite a culture shock and weather shock when he gets to Cornell. It's not a super mix of races at Cornell. The entire region is pretty Caucasian. He spoke of God quite a bit. That's not a common thing at Cornell so that will be a big ole shock to the system. The weather. Oh is he in for some fun times. Wonder if he'll make it more than a year at Cornell. Lots of people can't handle the winters here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,807 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 746 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 150 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 24 1,244 09-21-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,045 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,926 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,838 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,230 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,883 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,431 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts