Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with an Associates Degree Plan
My son is graduating high school early in December 2015. He will have completed 37 credits when he graduates high school. He has already joined the Air Nation Guard and departs for training in May of 2016. He can take DSST and CLEP tests for free. He has a personal goal of earning an associates degree before May of 2016. Any help would be appreciated. I am leaning towards COSC since it looks like he can do it with only the cornerstone class.

CLEP

Natural Science (6)
College Math (6)
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (3)

B&M

College Algebra (3)
English Comp 1 (3)
Principles of Mgmt (3)
Principles of Supervision (3)
Computers Info Sys (3)
Emergency First Resp (5)

ACE

PADI Open Water Diver (2)
TESC has no cornerstone class.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

If I were him, I would do the TESC ASBA (AS in Business Administration). If he wants to maximize CLEP/DSST's, but still take the 4 TECEP's required for residency in the Per-Credit-Option, here's an option:

CLEP
Intro to Marketing (Business req)
American Government (Civic Engagement req)
Financial Accounting (Business req)
Business Law (Business req)
1 additional test for Section D (like Macroecon)

DSST
Public Speaking (Oral Comm req)
Business Ethics & Society (Ethics req)
Ethics in America (section c)

TECEP
English Comp II
Marriage & the Family (Diversity req)
Managerial Accounting (Business req)
1 additional test for Section C (like Microecon)

The reason I say Micro & macro economics is because they're required for the BSBA (they'd get moved to the Business Core later). I suggested Ethics in America because that would be an easy one to study for along with Business Ethics.

With the free DSST's/CLEP's, it would only cost $650 to get his ASBA - $444 for the TECEP's, $75 app fee, $131 Tech Services fee, and $312 grad fee.

I would also continue to take Business DSST exams: Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management, Principles of Finance, Principles of Statistics - all required for BSBA; Intro to Business, Management Info Systems count as Business Electives. I would also take any additional DSST's/CLEP's that could be worked into the BSBA as well, after I finished the ASBA.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If he wants the COSC degree, he will have to take the Cornerstone ($750 for military), and a science with lab 4-cr course - which even through Straighterline will run $295+. There's still the app fee ($75), the student services fee ($193), the technology fee ($52) and the graduation fee ($205), for a total of $1570 minimum.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Your son can get an Associates degree from the Air Force through the CCAF. With all the credits he has, I wouldn't be surprised if all he needs is his technical training, social science course and his 5-Level upgrade (in 12 months).

Is there any reason why he would want a civilian associates degree? He can jump straight into a Bachelor's program and then work to get his commission in the Guard.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Thanks for your reply. He has been working on his general education requirement for the CCAF and only has American Government and Public Speaking left. After his training and quals he will have is AAS in Fire Science. I was looking for a cheap way to get him another associates degree before he leaves for bootcamp. I think you are right he will be better off just working on his bachelors.
If he's looking for a Bachelor's in Fire Science, he can check out COSC where they have a concentration. Also Empire State College (another CLEP friendly school, but has a residency) has an AU-ABC agreement with CCAF for a BS in Fire Science. This will maximize his Fire credits.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,531 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,176 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,784 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,976 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 5,444 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 3,005 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,676 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,177 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,591 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,976 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero