Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a dilemma about University
@personherebb9, I don't remember... doesn't UCT have online courses or distance education for the first year or even more? Maybe it could be degree or program specific or something, but I would investigate further with them to see if there are any options for that. You may still be able to complete whatever program you have been accepted into using remote access to course materials.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
UCT DOES offer short online courses and certificates here and there, but there would be no way for me to continue with my degree program online. As I've said this is usually reserved for UNISA, as they they are the only public university legally allowed to offer degrees online.

South Africa has cheap FURTHER education PAST a bachelors. Our country tends to put emphasis on studies past the bachelors level, since the country doesn't necessarily have a shortage towards bachelor graduates, but rather post-graduate graduates. For that reason, bachelor degrees, even at public universities tend to be on the more expensive side, while their post-graduate counterparts would cost 1/10th of the price.

I also feel the need to add that the registration fee, is essentially just a portion of the academic fee that is required to register (so it's not technically a separate cost on it's own.) UCT would have costed me R60 000 p/a (tuition) and then R69 000 for room and board. However the registration fee counts towards these totals. Meaning even though I needed to pay R31 000 for academic registration and R39 000 for room and board, those would be subtracted from the total price. In other words: Academically: R60 000-R31 000= R29 000 left over. Room and board: R69 000-R39 000= R30 000 left over.

South Africa does have government funding known as NSFAS, however it's a total bloodbath in order to receive this funding, because it does work on a historical discriminatory "point system", I guess if you could call it that. In other words, they take into account your income, your parents education, your grandparents education, your race, your schooling environment, etc. and then they award the funding to the most deserving students. I unfortunately was not able to obtain this funding.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
(12-20-2022, 04:37 AM)Personherebb9 Wrote: I just came back from my vacation from Cape Town. I'm going through a bit of a dilemma and I need advice.

The idea was for me to complete a TESU degree within 1 year, while staying where I currently am in South Africa. And then after that I would have tried getting a job overseas. The main reason behind this was this ideology, "South Africa is crumbling economically, the government is corrupt, it's unsafe." However, after visiting Cape Town again (used to live there for a couple of years while I was young) my view of South Africa has completely shifted. I haven't been there in YEARS, so I just assumed it was doing as badly as the rest of South Africa. Because of South Africa's very complex and confusing government, most of South Africa is under the control of the ANC (political party), however Cape Town is the ONLY exception. They are run by DA (political party) and from what I can see, that seems to be the main reason why Cape Town is flourishing. (Not to say DA is better than ANC)

The best way I could describe it is like California, but better. Like the streets are clean and well maintained, table mountain, the beaches, the views. There are police EVERYWHERE, it's so so so much safer the Gauteng (Johburg- province). Like the vacation was literally PERFECT. I couldn't even describe in words, it's one of those cities where you just have to see it for yourself. I knew Cape Town was like highly ranked (11th best city) in terms of best cities in the world (even beating out cities like NYC and London), but I had no idea it was flourishing THAT much.

My dilemma comes in here:
I already have a job lined up for next year (no contract has been signed yet).
I have my degree plan figured out.

Everything is in place for me to succeed with my plans that I originally had. However, there's a part of me that wants to completely 180 my plans and go to UCT (University of Cape Town).

I have CONDITIONAL acceptance for the following two programs from UCT:
1) BA (undecided major- you choose as you go)
2) MBCHB (MD- Doctor degree)

However I doubt with my little studying for finals I'll be able to maintain my MBCHB offer, plus it doesn't fit into my budget. On the other hand the BA does fit into the budget and I'm like 75% sure I could possibly maintain my acceptance.

The thing I keep thinking is: I'm only 18, do I really want to rush into the working environment? Shouldn't I be trying to enjoy my life. I mean the BA by UCT would take me 3 years to do. I could work part-time and still possibly do a degree from TESU or something if I wanted to. 

Yes I would be putting my life behind by 2 years than I had originally planned, BUT I'll be getting a degree from a top 150 university, for around the same price as TESU. I can actually just enjoy life for a couple of years, I can experience Cape Town. Don't get me wrong I do still want to immigrate, however I want to experience Cape Town first.

If yall have any advice for me that would be greatly appreciated, what would you do?

(Side note: if you're looking for a "cheap" vacation as an American, I would definitely recommend Cape Town: 10/10)

Congrats for getting accepted into the medical program of UCT, what did you do to get accepted?
I am thinking about studying medicine in South Africa as a foreigner and Capetown or Pretoria would be my first choice. 
I read your other threads and to be honest dont fall for the "enjoying life while young" meme get your degree in South Africa and then emigrate to the country of your choice and as far as I know the MBChB can qualify you to get state licensure in the USA so you could work there as a MD and get paid more money than you would ever make in South Africa while benefitting the american people. If medicine isnt your thing just get any degree and get your stuff sorted for immigration because that can be a long process unless you are a Nurse iirc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,482 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 587 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,329 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 756 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,082 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  American University Alpha 1 574 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  University Biologist Resigns Alpha 5 840 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Canadian University looking to fill a niche position... bjcheung77 0 519 04-26-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Reese’s University Vle045 0 661 02-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 800 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680