Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GED or CC developmental courses
This might be a niche question, but looking for advice to pass onto an acquaintance. 
He graduated from high school in the 90s with a technical certificate. I believe in automotive repair generally, but possibly automotive electronics. He's unsure. Fast forward 25+ years and he's the technical director at a local radio station that has acquired skills from various non-academic sources and testing for several FCC radio licenses. Station has recently been acquired by a conglomerate that requires he gets an associates degree within 36 months. Local CC will not let him into the AAS program without getting either a GED or signing up for a year of developmental courses. Would Pierpont be a good option? Like would they give credit for the various licenses? Or should he just bite the bullet and do the GED? The full year of developmental courses in English and basic math seems like overkill to be able to enroll in a program he'd have no issues  completing a
If he graduated from HS, I'm not sure why the local CC is being a PITA about it. His HS diploma should still be valid.

I don't think that Pierpont will accept the licenses for credit (though, it doesn't hurt to try). But if he's been out of school for that long, he shouldn't need a GED or proof of a HS diploma to get the Pierpont degree. He should be able to get the Pierpont degree within 3-6 months using Sophia/CLEP/Saylor/Coursera + ASU. Probably cost less than taking the GED exam.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • davewill
(11-16-2022, 02:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If he graduated from HS, I'm not sure why the local CC is being a PITA about it. His HS diploma should still be valid.

I don't think that Pierpont will accept the licenses for credit (though, it doesn't hurt to try). But if he's been out of school for that long, he shouldn't need a GED or proof of a HS diploma to get the Pierpont degree. He should be able to get the Pierpont degree within 3-6 months using Sophia/CLEP/Saylor/Coursera + ASU. Probably cost less than taking the GED exam.
He graduated under an outdated program that allowed local school districts to devise programs for graduation that aren't state recognized diplomas. So it's not a state stamped diploma.
Oh, that's a shame. I still recommend Pierpont. It'll be way faster, easier, and cheaper than the local CC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • davewill, FastTrackDegree, LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 3 532 09-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 9,709 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 360 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,743 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,665 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 348 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,379 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Closed Sophia Courses BritStudent 5 497 07-10-2024, 06:16 PM
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 578 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
  ASU Universal Learner Courses vetvso 10 3,210 05-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader