Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction to IT Certificate from Robertson College
(09-24-2024, 08:12 PM)TINASAM Wrote:
(09-24-2024, 07:25 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-24-2024, 06:46 PM)ArshveerCheema Wrote:
(09-24-2024, 06:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Ouch. These certificates are spendy from $150 to $660 for the few I looked at. Seems like one would be better off taking Intro to Technology from Sophia and earning ACE credit for it.

The ones I linked (the four links post) are free. Including the IT one.

A certificate in Intro to Info Tech isn't going to do much for anyone today. Everyone should have a basic knowledge of the subject. We're all glued to tech all day. At least take the class from Sophia for ACE credit so it's useful towards a degree somewhere. 

There are plenty of certificates from this college which are far from free. Like I said the ones I looked at were $150 up to $660 which is ridiculous. LinkedIn Learning, Udemy, and Coursera have similar courses for far less money.

Careful SS20TS.
I messaged you.
Associate of Applied Science, Exercise and Sport Science (Expected graduation, February 2025)
University of the Cumberlands - Kentucky, USA

Diploma, Retail Pharmacy Assistant
ICS Canada, Penn Foster Group - Westmount, Quebec

Certificate, Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving
Rutgers University-Newark - New Jersey, USA

Certificate, Intro to IT
Robertson College, Canada

Certificate, Barter to Bitcoin
Bond University, Australia
However, what you fail to see is that this group is specifically for things to help further our resumes and education. We want accreditation and things that have an air of legitimacy.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - May 2025
M.Ed - UoPeople - April 2027

Up Next:
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees:
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • ss20ts
My previous replies already are an answer for you. The person's issue is that they are non-credit certificates and they're not worth much, both of those things which I have responded to.

They are well aware this sub-forum is filled with non-credit certificates that are not worth much.

So your defenses here have already been previously answered. Making your defenses void. Also, like people know, there a variety of reasons for people wanting to do cheap or free certificates on this forum, I don't need to write an essay. Some being: for fun, for having a nice looking certificate on the wall (edX, etc. not looking nice), for learning, adding more schools to your LinkedIn, resume fluff, like collecting freebies, a mix of these reasons.

I didn't need to write all of this because again, most certificates on here are non-credit anyways and you both are well aware of this yet the other person went out of his way to look at other certificates which I didn't mention and say they are expensive and non-credit, etc.

I don't share blatant unaccredited schools either.
Associate of Applied Science, Exercise and Sport Science (Expected graduation, February 2025)

Certificate, Intro to IT

(09-24-2024, 07:36 PM)ArshveerCheema Wrote: Don't understand why you're being so negative. All or almost all of the free offerings in this forum are non-credit and won't "do much." You looked at non-free certificates from this college? So what? That's irrelevant.

If people want to grab any of those "won't do much" certificates from this forum, they will, including the ones I post.

Don't know why you're bringing up those course providers, it's much better to have an actual post-secondary institution name. Actual post-secondary education than online course providers.
If you have nothing nice to say. Don't say it. Back off.

It's called being practical. A certificate in something as basic as Introduction to Information Technology is not going to show an employer anything. This is a basic skill that 5 year olds have and all working adults should have if they wish to be employable. 

I looked at the certificates offered by the college you shared with us and I looked at ones which you didn't share. Crazy idea, I know. I looked because the topics were of interest to me. Then I saw the price and was shocked at hoe much this college is charging for these certificates which do not receive any college credit. $660 for a digital certificate not even a piece of paper is pathetic. This isn't a well known college. I mean yeah Cornell has certificate programs which cost $3K but those are from a well known and respected Ivy League university and I still believe those are ridiculously overpriced. 

I brought up other providers because they offer cheaper programs with the same result - a digital certificate. Like it or not, people will share other programs on your threads. You don't get to dictate what other's say. While you may not see it as nice, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but that does not mean it was someone's intention. Perhaps they were intending to educate you and other's who are unaware of these other programs which cost far less money. Most people on here are on a tight budget and appreciate low cost credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • TINASAM
(09-24-2024, 08:48 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-24-2024, 07:36 PM)ArshveerCheema Wrote: Don't understand why you're being so negative. All or almost all of the free offerings in this forum are non-credit and won't "do much." You looked at non-free certificates from this college? So what? That's irrelevant.

If people want to grab any of those "won't do much" certificates from this forum, they will, including the ones I post.

Don't know why you're bringing up those course providers, it's much better to have an actual post-secondary institution name. Actual post-secondary education than online course providers.

It's called being practical. A certificate in something as basic as Introduction to Information Technology is not going to show an employer anything. This is a basic skill that 5 year olds have and all working adults should have if they wish to be employable. 

I looked at the certificates offered by the college you shared with us and I looked at ones which you didn't share. Crazy idea, I know. I looked because the topics were of interest to me. Then I saw the price and was shocked at hoe much this college is charging for these certificates which do not receive any college credit. $660 for a digital certificate not even a piece of paper is pathetic. This isn't a well known college. I mean yeah Cornell has certificate programs which cost $3K but those are from a well known and respected Ivy League university and I still believe those are ridiculously overpriced. 

I brought up other providers because they offer cheaper programs with the same result - a digital certificate. Like it or not, people will share other programs on your threads. You don't get to dictate what other's say. While you may not see it as nice, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but that does not mean it was someone's intention. Perhaps they were intending to educate you and other's who are unaware of these other programs which cost far less money. Most people on here are on a tight budget and appreciate low cost credits.
Again, this is irrelevant. All my replies are already more than enough to debunk all of your reasons. For continuing education, we don't have to mention Ivy schools. There are countless continuing education programs that are like $1k and above.

Doesn't matter. For the third time, we are in a forum, where all or basically all of the certificates shared are non-credit and I guess wouldn't be much helpful on the resume but if someone wants to do a certificate, they can and will. Why would they do a non-credit certificate? Well I have already mentioned many reasons why.

Also, hey, there are people on and not on this forum doing "not much" certificates like entrepreneurship or leadership. I'm not targeting the ASU freebie, I mean in general, the point is that free/cheap courses like these are common and hey, there are people who just like to do these inexpensive collegiate programs.

Both of you two have written so many words in aims of giving the illusion of legitimacy to your statements.

Certificate, Intro to IT

I want to remind everyone to be respectful to each other while expressing their points of view.

Some posts were edited to clean up the discussion a bit.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ArshveerCheema
(09-24-2024, 09:57 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I want to remind everyone to be respectful to each other while expressing their points of view.

Some posts were edited to clean up the discussion a bit.

Hmm. I feel it would've been better if you deleted all the comments of the conversation (including mine). Anyways, thanks though.

Certificate, Intro to IT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Community College - MA Residents Captainrekt000 0 50 4 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Free and Cheap College/University Microcredentials ArshveerCheema 3 369 09-24-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Caregiving Essentials Certificate, McMaster University ArshveerCheema 0 138 09-20-2024, 11:57 PM
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 22 3,807 09-20-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  A Beginner's Guide to Coffee certificate from Sunway University ArshveerCheema 0 187 09-20-2024, 08:11 PM
  100 Million Learners Certificate of Completion Dori001 5 490 09-20-2024, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Dori001
  Super cheap self-paced certificates from Estacio College ArshveerCheema 0 237 09-10-2024, 02:37 AM
  FREE on-site only IT certs at Stanly Community College, NC 8th October BritStudent 0 223 09-05-2024, 03:00 AM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Cheap Music Fundamentals Certificate lisarox 9 550 09-01-2024, 12:19 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 5 880 07-02-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77