Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foreign Language Prior Learning Assessment PLA portfolio
sanantone Wrote:TESC will match the course up to what's in their PLA database. If you design your portfolio to match TESC's recommendations and you end up choosing Excelsior, then Excelsior might treat those portfolios differently. You should decide on a school first. Does Excelsior even offer a foreign language degree? Oh, and Learning Counts now charges $125 per 3 credits plus the fee for the instructor-led or self-directed course.

I haven't started working on a portfolio but I thought I could get some info on the process first. However, unless you are an enrolled student it's hard to get information at either school. Which brings me back here trying to get information. Then I will decide what works best for me.

Excelsior doesn't offer a foreign language degree but they do offer literature as well as cultural studies. I mentioned them because I see on their website that they work with Learning Counts, which sounds inexpensive and simple. But again, I can't get any specific information because I'm not enrolled.

Does anyone out there have experience with PLA portfolios at either or the Big 3 or Ashford?
ladylearner Wrote:I haven't started working on a portfolio but I thought I could get some info on the process first. However, unless you are an enrolled student it's hard to get information at either school. Which brings me back here trying to get information. Then I will decide what works best for me.

Excelsior doesn't offer a foreign language degree but they do offer literature as well as cultural studies. I mentioned them because I see on their website that they work with Learning Counts, which sounds inexpensive and simple. But again, I can't get any specific information because I'm not enrolled.

Does anyone out there have experience with PLA portfolios at either or the Big 3 or Ashford?

Do you have a set of credits / specific PLA in mind? So, with your new info, I'm assuming you already have all your lower level Spanish? If not, I'd absolutely do that first, and I'd use the NY exam (16 cr) and then put it on Learning Counts to try and see if they can do anything above and beyond those 16. TESC's degree in Humanities might be the most efficient use of a large number of language credits. Cheapest? I don't know. I will caution you against spending any $ or making a plan until you have these questions answered. This is a bit of an uncharted path here, you should consider creating a WIKI degree plan to share if you end up making all this come together.
cookderosa Wrote:Do you have a set of credits / specific PLA in mind? So, with your new info, I'm assuming you already have all your lower level Spanish? If not, I'd absolutely do that first, and I'd use the NY exam (16 cr) and then put it on Learning Counts to try and see if they can do anything above and beyond those 16. TESC's degree in Humanities might be the most efficient use of a large number of language credits. Cheapest? I don't know. I will caution you against spending any $ or making a plan until you have these questions answered. This is a bit of an uncharted path here, you should consider creating a WIKI degree plan to share if you end up making all this come together.

I can hardly take credit for coming up with this idea on my own. I learned about it here in the forum lol. I was hoping someone could tell me about their experiences. Not really looking for advice per se, just info on the portfolio process.

I would like to know how long the different steps of the process took, what the communication was like, whether they used Learning Counts or went through the college, etc.
I'd like to clarify something about TESC's portfolio process. An earlier post got it right: students do register for PLA-100 and PLA-200, which are online courses that introduce students to the concept of PLA, and then walk students through the process of putting together a portfolio that addresses multiple courses and credits. Learning Counts has a similar course requirement as well. Most colleges that offer portfolio evaluation also do this.

If you already have successfully done a portfolio, either at Thomas Edison or elsewhere, you don't need to take these classes, though we still recommend PLA-200 as a way to help you organize your materials and structure the process.

As for costs, one earlier post said this:

"The exact cost is $476/credit (x3) for the PLA "classes" ($1428) then you pay another $350 for 12 credits reviewed = $1778.00"

That is only true for out of state, non-enrolled students. Hardly anyone pays that rate. Enrolled students pay the regular tuition--in-state is $170 per credit, out-of-state is $229 per credit for PLA-100 (1 credit) and PLA-200 (2 credits), which total 3 credits between them. After that it is $350 for the first 12 credits evaluated, and $200 for each additional 6 credits. So for an enrolled in-state student, the cost for doing 18 credits via portfolio is $510 + $350 + $200 = $1060. I think it's comparable to the cost for Learning Counts, but better is the fact that the courses for which you earn credit are mapped to the curriculum--in other words, we will help you figure out which courses you need and will apply to your degree at TESC, which an outside service can't do for you.

I hope that helps. The website has lots of information about this: Thomas Edison State College: Prior Learning Assessment. But you can also email us directly at the Center for the Assessment of Learning: plaweb@tesc.edu.

Regards,
Marc Singer, Vice Provost
Center for the Assessment of Learning
Thomas Edison State College
MSinger Tesc Wrote:I'd like to clarify something about TESC's portfolio process. An earlier post got it right: students do register for PLA-100 and PLA-200, which are online courses that introduce students to the concept of PLA, and then walk students through the process of putting together a portfolio that addresses multiple courses and credits. Learning Counts has a similar course requirement as well. Most colleges that offer portfolio evaluation also do this.

If you already have successfully done a portfolio, either at Thomas Edison or elsewhere, you don't need to take these classes, though we still recommend PLA-200 as a way to help you organize your materials and structure the process.

"The exact cost is $476/credit (x3) for the PLA "classes" ($1428) then you pay another $350 for 12 credits reviewed = $1778.00"

That is only true for out of state, non-enrolled students. Hardly anyone pays that rate. Enrolled students pay the regular tuition--in-state is $170 per credit, out-of-state is $229 per credit for PLA-100 (1 credit) and PLA-200 (2 credits), which total 3 credits between them. After that it is $350 for the first 12 credits evaluated, and $200 for each additional 6 credits. So for an enrolled in-state student, the cost for doing 18 credits via portfolio is $510 + $350 + $200 = $1060. I think it's comparable to the cost for Learning Counts, but better is the fact that the courses for which you earn credit are mapped to the curriculum--in other words, we will help you figure out which courses you need and will apply to your degree at TESC, which an outside service can't do for you.

I hope that helps. The website has lots of information about this: Thomas Edison State College: Prior Learning Assessment. But you can also email us directly at the Center for the Assessment of Learning: plaweb@tesc.edu.

Regards,

The math is correct, of course if someone can get a lower rate via instate or other means, all the better!
MSinger Tesc Wrote:I'd like to clarify something about TESC's portfolio process. An earlier post got it right: students do register for PLA-100 and PLA-200, which are online courses that introduce students to the concept of PLA, and then walk students through the process of putting together a portfolio that addresses multiple courses and credits. Learning Counts has a similar course requirement as well. Most colleges that offer portfolio evaluation also do this.

Regards,

Thank you for the additional information. So, you're saying that I could complete one portfolio and the required PLA course at Learning Counts and not have to worry about taking PLA-100 and PLA-200 in order to do more portfolios through TESC? Do the credits earned through TESC portfolios count toward the residency requirements under the Per Credit Tuition Plan? Also, can someone do portfolios for science labs?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Thank you for the additional information. So, you're saying that I could complete one portfolio and the required PLA course at Learning Counts and not have to worry about taking PLA-100 and PLA-200 in order to do more portfolios through TESC? Do the credits earned through TESC portfolios count toward the residency requirements under the Per Credit Tuition Plan? Also, can someone do portfolios for science labs?

Well, that is not what I would recommend, since Learning Counts' course is almost the same as ours, and theirs costs $895, which includes one three-credit portfolio. I guess that's less expensive than our Per Credit Tuition Plan.

While the policy may change in the future, and you should check with an Academic Advisor here, yes, according to the website, "Residency requirements are met by earning credits via Thomas Edison State College Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses, TECEP exams (TE) or Portfolio Assessment (PA)." So PLA does count toward the residency requirement.

As for labs: the catalog says you can't earn credit for "stand-alone lab courses." If you can demonstrate your lab knowledge that is part of a full course (like a Bio course with lab) through a portfolio, and I can't imagine it would be easy, you can do that.
MSinger Tesc Wrote:Well, that is not what I would recommend, since Learning Counts' course is almost the same as ours, and theirs costs $895, which includes one three-credit portfolio. I guess that's less expensive than our Per Credit Tuition Plan.

While the policy may change in the future, and you should check with an Academic Advisor here, yes, according to the website, "Residency requirements are met by earning credits via Thomas Edison State College Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses, TECEP exams (TE) or Portfolio Assessment (PA)." So PLA does count toward the residency requirement.

As for labs: the catalog says you can't earn credit for "stand-alone lab courses." If you can demonstrate your lab knowledge that is part of a full course (like a Bio course with lab) through a portfolio, and I can't imagine it would be easy, you can do that.
I already passed the 6-credit CLEP for biology and just need the labs. Many colleges in Texas give lab credits for that test, but TESC doesn't. Would Learning Count's do-it-yourself course not count? It's only $149.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
You might be able to make a case for the DIY version if you get credit for the portfolio. As for getting lab credits for CLEP--I used to work on the CLEP exams. There isn't a lab component in those really. It would be a stretch. Good luck.
Update: I completed the DIY class at Learning counts for $149 and have started my portfolio work. I had a couple of questions and had a productive phone session with a knowledgeable and helpful advisor.

Glad to know that I can talk to a human being if I need to, even though I took the DIY course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI/Machine Learning Subject Based BS degree vetvso 4 350 10-18-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Distance Learning Systems Indiana nomaduser 1 363 10-06-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: facilityalarming
  IBM Machine Learning Professional Certificate Nukeme3 4 590 07-08-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Nukeme3
  Prior Learning Art Portfolio Assessment 3ichael7ambert 18 1,044 05-31-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: davewill
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 479 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 623 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,353 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 820 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 572 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  TEL Learning? faptaincrunch 9 1,851 11-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: suzume