Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Generation Concerns
Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilema that I think the answer to is clear, but wanted to get thoughts from those that might possibly be in a similar situation.

I working towards the BOG AAS and then the BAS at UMPI. I applied for the BOG AAS and I'm getting closer and closer to being able to actually enroll at UMPI, BUT...

I've got a 17-year-old HS junior that will be applying to colleges in the fall. As of right now, he would be a first-gen applicant as I don't have any kind of degree and his mom (my wife) has an AAS. I'm not really sure what kind of scholarship he might receive just on the basis of being first-gen, so I don't want to screw that up for him (and my wallet!), so I'm trying to time my enrolling at UMPI and actually finishing for after he's done applying. We don't want him to lie AT ALL on his college apps, so my plan is to wait.

Anybody experience the same situation?
(05-21-2024, 05:22 PM)colonelcamp Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilema that I think the answer to is clear, but wanted to get thoughts from those that might possibly be in a similar situation.

I working towards the BOG AAS and then the BAS at UMPI. I applied for the BOG AAS and I'm getting closer and closer to being able to actually enroll at UMPI, BUT...

I've got a 17-year-old HS junior that will be applying to colleges in the fall. As of right now, he would be a first-gen applicant as I don't have any kind of degree and his mom (my wife) has an AAS. I'm not really sure what kind of scholarship he might receive just on the basis of being first-gen, so I don't want to screw that up for him (and my wallet!), so I'm trying to time my enrolling at UMPI and actually finishing for after he's done applying. We don't want him to lie AT ALL on his college apps, so my plan is to wait.

I think any scholarship requiring a first-gen status would be pretty rare... I wouldn't worry about it, and would just enroll right away... 

Are you helping your son to get whatever alt credit he can? CLEP and AP are generally the best for current high schoolers.
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.L.S. with minors in English and Educational Studies

I'm 65% through my degree!

Earned:  84 credits total
RA: 3 credits
Sophia: 75 credits
Study.com: 6 credits

CLEP: 9 in progress...
UMPI: 6 in progress...
(05-21-2024, 08:05 PM)RachelB Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 05:22 PM)colonelcamp Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I think any scholarship requiring a first-gen status would be pretty rare... I wouldn't worry about it, and would just enroll right away... 

Are you helping your son to get whatever alt credit he can? CLEP and AP are generally the best for current high schoolers.
I’ll tell you what. I’m of the opinion that this whole hacking business is perfect for adults. On the other hand, I think that kids coming out of HS should go the traditional way if they intend to go to college. Go through that experience of being on their own, be in a classroom learning from a professor, interacting with peers, etc. I have a 24 year old that went to college right out of high school and decided he didn’t want to do it any more after one year. Now he’s on Sophia and going my route. But again, I think for the kids it’s better to be there the traditional way. My opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes colonelcamp's post:
  • ltw900rr
Hello,

I just went through this with my son. He was not able to get any scholarships based on being a first gen student. They do have a first gen organization at his college to help first gen students with struggles they may experience through college.

My wife and I both just graduated from TAMUC, so officially he is not a first gen student anymore. We do not expect it to change anything for him at his college.

The majority of scholarships my son has looked at since he has been at the University are based on FAFSA and parents income. Unfortunately, my wife and I make too much money as teachers for him to receive any financial aid.

My son received several small scholarships when he graduated high school, and was able to receive a few small ones while at community college. He has only received one during his first year at the University.

My overall goal remains the same, I want him to graduate with his Bachelor's degree with zero debt. So far at the end of year 3, he is debt free.

Completed:
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
SJC AAS Automotive Technology
(05-21-2024, 08:57 PM)ltw900rr Wrote: Hello,

I just went through this with my son. He was not able to get any scholarships based on being a first gen student. They do have a first gen organization at his college to help first gen students with struggles they may experience through college.

My wife and I both just graduated from TAMUC, so officially he is not a first gen student anymore. We do not expect it to change anything for him at his college.

The majority of scholarships my son has looked at since he has been at the University are based on FAFSA and parents income. Unfortunately, my wife and I make too much money as teachers for him to receive any financial aid.

My son received several small scholarships when he graduated high school, and was able to receive a few small ones while at community college. He has only received one during his first year at the University.
We’re in the same boat as far as receiving any kind of Pell grants; we won’t. Whatever discounts he receives will be based on merit. Luckily he’s a pretty good student so the merit aid should be relatively good. I have also heard about the support systems schools have for first gen and have also heard that at some tougher to get into schools, being first gen might help the student get in. I guess our concern is that we don’t want to lower his chances for a good outcome. 

Thx for sharing that!
[-] The following 1 user Likes colonelcamp's post:
  • ltw900rr
(05-21-2024, 08:13 PM)colonelcamp Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 08:05 PM)RachelB Wrote: I think any scholarship requiring a first-gen status would be pretty rare... I wouldn't worry about it, and would just enroll right away... 

I’ll tell you what. I’m of the opinion that this whole hacking business is perfect for adults. On the other hand, I think that kids coming out of HS should go the traditional way if they intend to go to college. Go through that experience of being on their own, be in a classroom learning from a professor, interacting with peers, etc. I have a 24 year old that went to college right out of high school and decided he didn’t want to do it any more after one year. Now he’s on Sophia and going my route. But again, I think for the kids it’s better to be there the traditional way. My opinion.

I mean, CLEP is pretty standard. And using Modern States, you can literally check off a whole year of basic classes for free. These are the types of classes covering material lots of people are already familiar with because of the same content being taught in high school.

But, hey, if you'd rather pay for your kid to have one extra year of the "college experience," that is certainly your prerogative. As someone who went that route for my first college semester, though... I'll say that I think it's terribly overrated. Not to mention overpriced.
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.L.S. with minors in English and Educational Studies

I'm 65% through my degree!

Earned:  84 credits total
RA: 3 credits
Sophia: 75 credits
Study.com: 6 credits

CLEP: 9 in progress...
UMPI: 6 in progress...
[-] The following 4 users Like RachelB's post:
  • berlinerd, colonelcamp, Pikachu, ss20ts
@colonelcamp, people overlook and overthink things, as per post #4, using that as an example, you should focus on helping him graduate with no debt by using whatever options are available to you, from Fin Aid, Dual Enrollment, CLEP/MS, ACE/NCCRS options, etc, but don't use that as an excuse to delay your own graduation. It's great you're trying to look out for him, but I don't think there will be issues for First Gen students or if that status changes...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Charles Fout, colonelcamp, ss20ts
You guys make great points about testing out of stuff and saving money for sure. Something to definitely consider.

As far as delaying my graduation, I'm beginning to think full speed ahead. As a previous responder indicated, and now that I think of it, I have seen the same from school to school. We've visited like 20 schools since October and they all pretty much say the same thing. They have support groups and structures in place for first gen students, but as far as scholarships specifically for first gen? Not that I can remember. I'll keep looking though.

(05-21-2024, 11:58 PM)RachelB Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 08:13 PM)colonelcamp Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 08:05 PM)RachelB Wrote: I think any scholarship requiring a first-gen status would be pretty rare... I wouldn't worry about it, and would just enroll right away... 

I mean, CLEP is pretty standard. And using Modern States, you can literally check off a whole year of basic classes for free. These are the types of classes covering material lots of people are already familiar with because of the same content being taught in high school.

But, hey, if you'd rather pay for your kid to have one extra year of the "college experience," that is certainly your prerogative. As someone who went that route for my first college semester, though... I'll say that I think it's terribly overrated. Not to mention overpriced.

I hear you!
Are there any real scholarships for first gen? If so, I am jealous. I was first gen way back in the 90’s. And there was no guidance - which could have been helpful. In High School, I was all honors and AP classes, but since I had no real guidance nor understanding, I never took the AP tests for college credit. And the real kicker was not only did I have to take the same courses during my freshman year, I even had the SAME TEXTBOOK! I didn’t have access to any of the resources available now. I am hoping that my son takes my advice and uses one of the many resources to skip those gen eds. Even if he wants the “real” college experience.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • ltw900rr, ss20ts
(05-22-2024, 08:19 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Are there any real scholarships for first gen?  If so, I am jealous.  I was first gen way back in the 90’s.  And there was no guidance - which could have been helpful.  In High School, I was all honors and AP classes, but since I had no real guidance nor understanding, I never took the AP tests for college credit.  And the real kicker was not only did I have to take the same courses during my freshman year, I even had the SAME TEXTBOOK!  I didn’t have access to any of the resources available now.   I am hoping that my son takes my advice and uses one of the many resources to skip those gen eds.  Even if he wants the “real” college experience.

I think there are. I found some geenral info on this. For example, Seton Hall offers some financial aid to first gens. The catch is that you have to be under a certain family income level to qualify. I guess the idea is that if you didn't go to college, you're most likely earning less than someone that did. Makes sense I suppose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked A ‘once in a generation’ winter storm will impact nearly every state! LevelUP 8 1,360 12-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  First generation college student? kayausa 2 1,075 10-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Last Post: alissaroot