Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No break in 2012 :(
I am posting this to whine just a little bit about my 2012 school schedule, which I just got not too long ago.. Don't get me wrong, I AM in the perfect program for me and wouldn't change it for the world, but OMG it's intense.

School starts up next Monday and I will be taking back to back courses for the rest of 2012 with only TWO scheduled breaks: Spring Break and Christmas. Yes, you read that right: I don't even get a day off between Spring and Summer semester or between Summer and Fall. I am happy to be hitting the books again next week, but WOW I am terrified when I think about how my schedule looks. I will really have to plan my vacation this year and hope that I can fit it into Spring Break, or I could be seriously frazzled by the end of the year.

*yikes*
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I know the feeling; there are four semesters per year at TESC (grad calendar is pretty much the same as undergrad). I'm taking two courses per semester, beginning with my major courses to complete the grad cert portion, then will go full speed until the end. This is definitely not going to be easy but 18 mos should go by pretty quickly.
:nopity:

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote::nopity:

Heee heee - love the little violin-playing guy. Yes.. that is the world's smallest violin and it is playing just for me while I complain about my 2012 schedule ha ha ha.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Can you move ahead in class and then take a week off for vacation?
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:Can you move ahead in class and then take a week off for vacation?

That is a great question and I may attempt to do so. I haven't had any success yet in moving ahead significantly because the workload is so intense. There is generally a daily reading assignment and class forum posting. No, you don't HAVE to do it every day; you could do it all on one day as long as you meet the Saturday evening due dates for each week, but it's too much for my schedule. I can only read about 50 pages a day maximum and that's when it's in English. My classes in Spanish require much more thought because I'm still not entirely comfortable with Spanish at the graduate level. On top of the reading and forum posting, we generally have one big weekly paper due. This is something that I could work ahead on and the only reason why I haven't is because the forum work and weekly reading greatly contribute to my ease in writing the paper. Our topics for daily discussion often provide interesting debates that can provide ideas for inclusion in my weekly written assignment.

My school also does not provide a lot of advanced notice to what the syllabus will be. Even though class starts on Monday the 9th, I still won't be have access to my class until Friday or Saturday at the earliest. I'm not sure why they do this, but it is a little annoying lol. I think that they're trying to make everyone stay on the same topic at the same time.

All that being said, I HAVE to figure out a way to clear my schedule and work ahead a little bit. I have a really big business trip to Asia the end of the month and I plan to be working all day, and fully anticipate business dinners and meetings to go late into the evening. I don't know how I'll do it without falling behind in school if I don't figure out how to do at least some work before I go.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Wow, that is a lot of work!! Sheez!! I really hope you can get ahead on some of the work! Good luck to you! Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
Oh, wow! That sounds like a tough road - for anyone, but you. You'll continue to be the amazing student you are, and soon will have that degree under your belt. Bueno suerte. (Okay, that was from high-school Spanish over 30 years ago. If I said something like, "you have dog breath," I apologize. I [U]meant[U] to say "good luck!"
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
burbuja0512 Wrote:I am posting this to whine just a little bit about my 2012 school schedule, which I just got not too long ago.. Don't get me wrong, I AM in the perfect program for me and wouldn't change it for the world, but OMG it's intense.

School starts up next Monday and I will be taking back to back courses for the rest of 2012 with only TWO scheduled breaks: Spring Break and Christmas. Yes, you read that right: I don't even get a day off between Spring and Summer semester or between Summer and Fall. I am happy to be hitting the books again next week, but WOW I am terrified when I think about how my schedule looks. I will really have to plan my vacation this year and hope that I can fit it into Spring Break, or I could be seriously frazzled by the end of the year.

*yikes*

As they say in the Army "Suck it up and Drive on" There's no sympathy here! hilarious
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
My buddy used to look at his work in graduate school and always remind himself that it can't be any worse than being in the army sleeping on the ground while it was raining and not being able to shower for fourteen days. That being said it does sound challenging. Especially being in a non native language. I run into immigrants having trouble completing assignments at American schools so I can see how an American would have trouble competing in a non natural language. Good luck.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:My buddy used to look at his work in graduate school and always remind himself that it can't be any worse than being in the army sleeping on the ground while it was raining and not being able to shower for fourteen days. That being said it does sound challenging. Especially being in a non native language. I run into immigrants having trouble completing assignments at American schools so I can see how an American would have trouble competing in a non natural language. Good luck.

I really like comparing my situation to the army and how much easier my life is right now than what many of our troops are going through. It's a great way to put things into perspective and also reminds me of a picture that I have framed on my desk:

It's called lunch atop a skyscraper and you can see the image here: File:Lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-c1932.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love it because it's also a great way to tell yourself "Hey - you may have a tough time now, but things could be so much worse!!!" I mean, just look at these poor guys eating lunch in such a dangerous place, yet this was totally normal for them and what they had to do to barely make a living and support their family. I keep this picture on my desk and try to look at it on days that are difficult.

Thank you Smile
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I sure hope TESU advising is having a good break, because they are going to freak... eriehiker 15 3,948 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Head about to explode? Quick break thread. Joeman200 6 1,897 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  Can someone break down for me what SHRM and HRCI are? (Human Resource Management) OfficerA 3 2,595 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Merry Chris+mas 2012!!! ShotoJuku 9 1,505 12-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Army-Navy Game 2012! IrishJohn 1 916 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Happy Thanksgiving 2012!! ShotoJuku 4 1,079 11-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Last Post: OCmateo
  Never Forget 2012 ShotoJuku 8 1,338 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: CLEPitgirl
  Happy Father's Day 2012 ShotoJuku 2 951 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  June 14th 2012 ShotoJuku 0 703 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM