Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest programming, cyber security degree?
grozaguy00 Wrote:What is the ACE option?

It's their army/military/navy, etc (active duty) option, individuals who have ACE options can use up to 30 credits. It's unclear if civilians can use this feature or not, but there is no harm in asking. Link: https://online.arizona.edu/active-military , under Joint Services Transcripts, click More Info. It'll give you the 'basic details'. Then click the transfer guide to see this link: https://transfercredit.arizona.edu/conte...ry-credits
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-24-2024, 04:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
grozaguy00 Wrote:What is the ACE option?

It's their army/military/navy, etc (active duty) option, individuals who have ACE options can use up to 30 credits. It's unclear if civilians can use this feature or not, but there is no harm in asking.  Link: https://online.arizona.edu/active-military , under Joint Services Transcripts, click More Info.  It'll give you the 'basic details'.  Then click the transfer guide to see this link: https://transfercredit.arizona.edu/conte...ry-credits

Well you seem like a pro so all in all whats your advice? 
How long would it take me to do 57 clep credits vs going to community college?
I might just say F it and take the online degree with WGU
If you can live at home, and get in state tuition, I'd advise you to attend U of A. It's a very well respected school. If you were a working engineer and just wanted a check the box degree, I'd say that WGU or TESU would be good choices, but for someone college aged who is learning to be an engineer, Arizona is a better choice. If the money for four full years is just too much, then do the community college route, but it's worth an extra effort to make it work.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • indigoshuffle
@grozaguy00 - If you go the WGU route be sure to complete and transfer all available alt credits before enrolling (which is different than applying). You cannot transfer in credits to WGU once you have enrolled (active student). This will save you a good deal of time and money. They are generally quite clear on what you can and cannot transfer in. Here is the wiki page for some reference: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:WGU
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

@grozaguy00, Email them to see if they take ACE for civilians and then decide. I would do as many CLEP anyways to transfer into WGU or another institution, it's 2 years free at most, 3 for those we recommend such as Excelsior, TESU, probably UMPI and you can probably complete one a week if you study hard enough. When the 50-60 credits worth is completed, you just have to complete the remaining credits for University of Arizona.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-25-2024, 10:50 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @grozaguy00, Email them to see if they take ACE for civilians and then decide.  I would do as many CLEP anyways to transfer into WGU or another institution, it's 2 years free at most, 3 for those we recommend such as Excelsior, TESU, probably UMPI and you can probably complete one a week if you study hard enough.  When the 50-60 credits worth is completed, you just have to complete the remaining credits for University of Arizona.

What is the advantage of doing ACE over CLEP?
How realistically fast can I complete 57 CLEP credits if I really put my head down and be competent? One credit a week sounds kind of slow, Im not sure if you were referring to clep in that sentence though. My two paths right now are: 
a) 57 clep credits in under >1 year, transfer to University of Arizona and eat $20k in student loans, grind 63 credits in under >2 years (3 years total)
b) Sophia Learning 60 credits, transfer WGU and complete in >2 years (total cost under $10k)
(05-25-2024, 05:42 PM)grozaguy00 Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 10:50 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @grozaguy00, Email them to see if they take ACE for civilians and then decide.  I would do as many CLEP anyways to transfer into WGU or another institution, it's 2 years free at most, 3 for those we recommend such as Excelsior, TESU, probably UMPI and you can probably complete one a week if you study hard enough.  When the 50-60 credits worth is completed, you just have to complete the remaining credits for University of Arizona.

How realistically fast can I complete 57 CLEP credits if I really put my head down and be competent? One credit a week sounds kind of slow, Im not sure if you were referring to clep in that sentence though. My two paths right now are: 
a) 57 clep credits in under >1 year, transfer to University of Arizona and eat $20k in student loans, grind 63 credits in under >2 years (3 years total)
b) Sophia Learning 60 credits, transfer WGU and complete in >2 years (total cost under $10k)

CLEP earns you ACE credits. Sophia also provides ACE credits. CLEP is accepted at around 75% of degree-granting colleges, while Sophia is accepted at far fewer colleges.

Many people can complete CLEP exams in 20-30 hours, which means it's possible to finish at least one CLEP per week, excluding some of the harder math and science CLEPs. If you have prior knowledge of the subject, you might be able to pass a CLEP exam without studying. If you can score 70% or better on a practice CLEP exam, then you are ready to take the final exam. The website BaIn4Weeks.com discusses how to complete CLEP exams quickly.

An on-campus college course typically takes around 100 hours. So anytime you can accelerate faster than that, you are effectively hacking your degree time-wise.

In the end, you need the skills to do computer programming or cybersecurity, so it's less about impressing an employer with a fancy degree. You'd be better off focusing your time on improving your skills and creating an impressive portfolio.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-25-2024, 10:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

CLEP earns you ACE credits. Sophia also provides ACE credits. CLEP is accepted at around 75% of degree-granting colleges, while Sophia is accepted at far fewer colleges.

Many people can complete CLEP exams in 20-30 hours, which means it's possible to finish at least one CLEP per week, excluding some of the harder math and science CLEPs. If you have prior knowledge of the subject, you might be able to pass a CLEP exam without studying. If you can score 70% or better on a practice CLEP exam, then you are ready to take the final exam. The website BaIn4Weeks.com discusses how to complete CLEP exams quickly.

An on-campus college course typically takes around 100 hours. So anytime you can accelerate faster than that, you are effectively hacking your degree time-wise.

In the end, you need the skills to do computer programming or cybersecurity, so it's less about impressing an employer with a fancy degree. You'd be better off focusing your time on improving your skills and creating an impressive portfolio.

Yeah I agree I still have to focus on actually programming and security. Regardless. which path do you recommend, having so many degrees yourself
(05-25-2024, 11:41 PM)grozaguy00 Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 10:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Yeah I agree I still have to focus on actually programming and security. Regardless. which path do you recommend, having so many degrees yourself

I usually lean towards quicker options such as WGU rather than doing a flagship or ranked school such as ASU or Penn State.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help for degree planning zyczycccc 5 196 11 hours ago
Last Post: zyczycccc
  Breaking Into Sales - Help With Getting a Bachelor’s Degree (Most Likely Business Adm AccountingForThis 8 223 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Please help for degree planning Rabbitbunny 7 243 10-15-2024, 07:50 PM
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 8 777 10-15-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 12 945 10-15-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  UMPI BABA Degree Plan Heeler_Bandit_12OclockLow 4 317 10-14-2024, 01:04 AM
  TESU Liberal Arts Degree; What Study courses to take waterv1 5 289 10-13-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Lurker Canadian Gal Looking for A Degree blessedjozefina 4 245 10-08-2024, 11:11 PM
  Italian guy looking for US Bachelor Degree Zaknir 6 437 10-08-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Help with degree planning nuit001 2 233 10-07-2024, 11:21 PM