Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failing a CLEP
On another thread, we discussed how official transcripts from CLEP don't contain failing scores- which is great, any failed tests are private.

Someone asked "what if you pre-selected a college to have your score sent to?" and I didn't know the answer. I emailed CLEP directly and they finally got back to me!

They said:

Thank you for contacting CLEP.

Once a transcript recipient is selected
online via a CLEP MyAccount during the process of ordering a CLEP exam, the
transcript is delivered regardless of the score achieved on the exam.

We hope this information is helpful. If you write to us
again, please include all previous messages.

Sincerely,
CLEP

So, what does that mean? Probably nothing. Colleges don't award credit for failing scores, and most people here are using CLEP to earn 100/200 level credit through a community college or one of the big 3, so it's pretty irrelevant since those schools are all open enrollment. But.... if you worry that a failing score can be used against you in any way- perhaps you're applying to a nursing program at your community college, or applying directly to a 4 year university, it would be best NOT to select the school when you register. It is better to simply leave that blank, take all your exams, and then purchase 1 transcript to go to your college. In THAT case, only passing scores will be sent and you can avoid any potential repercussions that might come from a failing score.

Again, if you're using CLEP at any of the big 3, this won't matter.
It's a risk I'd gladly take because I don't want to pay a transcript fee later. There are things worth worrying about. This isn't one of them. Avoid transcript fees by always reporting the scores.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:It's a risk I'd gladly take because I don't want to pay a transcript fee later. There are things worth worrying about. This isn't one of them. Avoid transcript fees by always reporting the scores.

It only costs $20 for your entire degree to wait.
I never have any of my scores directly reported. I pay whatever extra fees are necessary for me to gain control over deciding what goes where...For me, peace of mind is worth the $$$ Smile
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
If paying $20 for a transcript later gives someone peace of mind and you can afford $20, then it is money well spent and a valid point of view for some people. But for those of you who are on a very tight budget, read the rules and policies - you don't need to do this. This is true whether or not you are applying to an open enrollment school. Don't be afraid of the bogeyman. Not getting credit isn't like failing a course. It won't count against you academically. The only down side is financial, that you spent money on an exam without receiving credit.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:If paying $20 for a transcript later gives someone peace of mind and can afford $20, then it is money well spent and a valid point of view for some people. But for those of you who are on a very tight budget, read the rules and policies - you don't need to do this. Not getting credit isn't like failing a course. It won't count against you academically. The only down side is financial, that you spent money on an exam without receiving credit.

I think you're right, but not everyone is applying to open enrollment schools. Remember, it's not $20 per CLEP score, it's for 1 transcript thta contains ALL of your scores. For teens, I'd suggest NOT reporting and sending 1 score at application.
cookderosa Wrote:On another thread, we discussed how official transcripts from CLEP don't contain failing scores- which is great, any failed tests are private.

Someone asked "what if you pre-selected a college to have your score sent to?" and I didn't know the answer. I emailed CLEP directly and they finally got back to me!

Thank you for taking the time to ask CLEP this question.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,891 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 692 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,225 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,072 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,841 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,478 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,400 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,671 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,898 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,382 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar