Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple math question
I am prepping for applied liberal arts mathematics and one of the test topic subsections lists:
Truth value of a compound statement (no truth tables)

Can someone explain to me what they mean by (no truth tables)? Google and youtube are only giving me truth tables when I try and look it up.
I think it means that you just have to be able to interpret simple truth values instead of constructing and interpreting truth tables. There is an example of at least one of those in the TECEP prep guide, if I recall correctly.

This might help:
Statements, truth values and truth tables
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Truth Tables is under Chapter 3 Logic

You can use the online math lab for Liberal Arts Math
Text - Angel: A Survey of Mathematics with Applications (doesnt matter which edition but current is 10e)

InterActMath.com (InterActMath.com)
In the drop down box, scroll to - author and text , then enter

Click on whatever chapter you need extra help. Within each practice problem you have the option to have the software teach you the steps.
  • For each problem you don't know how to solve, look to right there is an icon with a key 'help me solve this'
  • When you click on it another window opens and the software will go through each step by clicking the yellow continue button at the bottom of the window
  • There is also a print icon

Good luck!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Vaeal Wrote:I am prepping for applied liberal arts mathematics and one of the test topic subsections lists:
Truth value of a compound statement (no truth tables)

Can someone explain to me what they mean by (no truth tables)? Google and youtube are only giving me truth tables when I try and look it up.

I would venture to guess what they mean by "no truth tables" is something like this:

Given any two statements P and Q, where Q is false, which one of the following must be false?

a) Not P and Q
b) Not (P and Q)
c) P or not Q
d) P implies Q

In this problem, they are not asking you to evaluate or construct a truth table. One could be useful here, but not strictly necessary. We know that "a" cannot be true because it is a compound statement using a conjunction ("and"), and for a statement using a conjunction to be true, both statements must be true. We are given: Q is false, and because we know that any conjunction (compound sentence using "and") where one or both of the conjuncts (the things before and after "and") are false renders the conjunction false, "a" must be false.

In your studying and learning of these types of rules, you're very likely to use truth tables, however (I think) they're letting you know the questions themselves will not be about truth tables.

Hope that's helpful.
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
Study.com: Principles of Marketing, Microbiology
edX: Intro to Dif. Eq., Linear Dif. Eq.
UND Ind. Study: Discrete Math
APU/AMU: Linear Algebra, Mathmatical Modeling
TECEP: Nutrition
B&M: Far too many!
When I took this test in Dec, they didn't spend a lot of time on this subject. Really, most of the test was common-sense kinds of things - finding price of a dress if you knew the original price, were given an discount, and tax. Lots of more basic algebra problems.

The book was terrible, so I gave up on it. And still got a 90% on the test.

If I were you, I would make sure that I knew algebra really well - but not even college algebra. Intermediate algebra is fine, actually basic algebra is fine. It was definitely HS Algebra I material (and I know this because I homeschool my son and he's in Algebra I - I actually teach him the material because he doesn't really like the videos that are supposed to do the teaching - and everything is what I remember from high school myself 30+ years ago). I felt like the reason the test was so easy was because I had been doing Algebra I so recently. And because most of the questions are REALLY easy.

There are questions here and there on probability and some other things that I didn't always know. But it really didn't matter because I was so strong on the thing they tested the most on.

Also, they only allowed a SINGLE piece of blank paper to do the problems on (that's what TESU says, so that's what ProctorU allowed), so I had to write really small to do all the problems I needed to do. I think that this was seriously the most challenging part of the exam!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:... Also, they only allowed a SINGLE piece of blank paper to do the problems on (that's what TESU says, so that's what ProctorU allowed), so I had to write really small to do all the problems I needed to do. I think that this was seriously the most challenging part of the exam!
Did they say what size piece of paper? :coolgleam:
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I took it and passed. The (no truth table) part of the description really could have been worded better. Thank y'all for your help.
davewill Wrote:Did they say what size piece of paper? :coolgleam:

The test guide doesn't say you can have paper at all, but ProctorU said I could have ONE piece of paper. I can't remember if they said what size though!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
In my mind there are no simple math questions... just sayin' Smile
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,777 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 354 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 275 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,976 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 231 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,628 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 508 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 632 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 674 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 4,075 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane