Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIN-301, MAN-210, MAR-201 Equivalent through Sophia?
Is there is any Sophia.org equivalent for these 3 TESU classes:
  • FIN-301 Principles of Finance
  • MAN-210 Principles of Management
  • MAR-201 Introduction to Marketing
If nothing at Sophia.org works what would be the next most efficient way to knock these out? 
Is there a CLEP, Study.com, etc. equivalent that works and is fast and inexpensive?

I'm still in the research stages of going for my BSBA/marketing concentration.
I currently have an AAS Advertising Design (1994).
Yes, check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for Sophia. The LL Principles of Finance is okay, so long as you take at least one UL course in Business Core. Principles of Management from Sophia is UL, so that's fine.

Check https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...re_Roadmap for options for Intro to Marketing.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Welcome to the board javabeanstudio!  Basically, since you're really still in the "research stage" of the degree/school of choice, you may want to provide us as much details as possible by following this template: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Depending on your answers to the template and the info you provide (including the last post of the link I just linked above), you may want to go for a TESU BSBA with Entrepreneurship AOS and get a Marketing Certificate - OR you can decide on an UMPI BABA with Marketing concentration instead.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-18-2022, 12:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yes, check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for Sophia. The LL Principles of Finance is okay, so long as you take at least one UL course in Business Core. Principles of Management from Sophia is UL, so that's fine.

Check https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...re_Roadmap for options for Intro to Marketing.

Thanks for the links.
I had explored the first link (Sophia.org Equivalency List) and did not see any listing for those 3 classes in particular. 
That was part of the reason I asked if there really were any Sophia equivalency for those 3 classes at TESU.

The second link (Sample TESU Business Core Roadmap) confuses me. It doesn't seem to sync up with the first link in some instances.
I'm new to the idea of the equivalency classes so maybe I don't understand the chart.
  • I need FIN-301 Principles of Finance (Professional Business Requirements section E)
    Based on Business Core Roadmap link: Sophia.org Principles of Finance = FIN-301 Principles of Finance.
    Based on Sophia.org Equivalency List link: Sophia.org Principles of Finance = FIN-200 Principles of Finance -- Not FIN-301 Principles of Finance.
    Does anyone know if Sophia.org Principles of Finance would be an equivalency specifically for FIN-301 Principles of Finance?

• I need MAN-210 Principles of Management (Professional Business Requirements section F)
    Based on Business Core Roadmap link: Sophia.org Principles of Management = MAN-210 Principles of Management.
    Based on Sophia.org Equivalency List link: Sophia.org Principles of Management = MAN-301 Principles of Management -- Not MAN-210 Principles of Management.
    Does anyone know if Sophia.org Principles of Management would be an equivalency specifically for MAN-210 Principles of Management?

• I need MAR-201 Introduction to Marketing (Professional Business Requirements section G)
    Based on both Business Core Roadmap and the Sophia.org Equivalency List link it seems that Sophia.org does not offer any equivalency for MAR-201 Introduction to Marketing. Am I wrong? 
    According to the Business Core Roadmap link there seems to be options through Study.com, Onlinedegree.com, Danvar and CLEP.
    Out of these, can anyone tell me if there is a best choice? What is the most efficient and cost effective way to go?
You do NOT need an exact equivalency for FIN-301 OR MAN-210, as I already stated previously. In most cases, TESU is not looking for specific course numbers, only for the courses themselves. Thus, FIN-200 is the SAME as FIN-301 when it comes to the business core. And MAN-301 is the SAME as MAN-210.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-18-2022, 12:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board javabeanstudio!  Basically, since you're really still in the "research stage" of the degree/school of choice, you may want to provide us as much details as possible by following this template: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Depending on your answers to the template and the info you provide (including the last post of the link I just linked above), you may want to go for a TESU BSBA with Entrepreneurship AOS and get a Marketing Certificate - OR you can decide on an UMPI BABA with Marketing concentration instead.

I was planning on posting this to the forum once I had a bit more info but here it goes....

What kind of degree do you want?: BSBA with concentration in Marketing
NOTE: Generally speaking my goal is a BSBA so I can qualify for higher positions in a corporate in-house creative environment. Specifically I feel the marketing concentration may serve me best as I already have 20+ years in advertising design/art direction and I want to leverage my experience along with a new degree in marketing to get into a position like marketing manager, brand manager, etc. 

Current Regional Accredited Credits: AAS in Advertising Design from Mercer County College NJ (1994)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None

Any certifications or military experience? No

Timeline: Speed is important as I may be facing layoffs in the next 6 months or so. I realize I will not be done in 6 months but I would like to have as much done as possible. As of right now, my thoughts are to do what I can through ACE, CLEP, etc. and start any classes through the chosen college in September (possibly sooner).

Commitments: I currently work full time (over 40hrs a week) and volunteer (about 4-5hrs a week). This is subject to change as I know layoffs are coming and I would be free to be a full time student until I found my next job.

Dedicated time to study: Realistically I estimate about 15-18hrs a week. I think anymore than that with a demanding full time job and other commitments would burn me out fast.

Budget: I have approximately $10-15K available. 

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: None. I'll be paying entirely out of pocket and have already applied for FAFSA and did not receive anything.

PLEASE NOTE: I have been accepted to the following schools for a BSBA with concentration in Marketing:
  • TESU -- will transfer 33 credits of 120
  • SNHU -- will transfer 55 credits of 121
  • WGU -- will transfer 30 credits of 121
  • Capella -- will transfer 87 quarter credits of 180
  • UMPI -- waiting for academic evaluation 
  • William Patterson University -- waiting for academic evaluation
  • POST University -- waiting for academic evaluation

(05-18-2022, 01:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You do NOT need an exact equivalency for FIN-301 OR MAN-210, as I already stated previously. In most cases, TESU is not looking for specific course numbers, only for the courses themselves. Thus, FIN-200 is the SAME as FIN-301 when it comes to the business core. And MAN-301 is the SAME as MAN-210.

Okay I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.
Why apply to so many schools?
I took Sophia's Principles of Finance and the course works fine for TESU's requirements.

Sophia's Principles of Management will work and meet the UL requirement you need for the Professional Requirements section.

Marketing you could take at Instantcert or Study.com.

Keep in mind that TESU lists suggested courses but lots of courses will work to meet their degree requirements. Check the Wiki to see all choices for courses.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-18-2022, 03:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why apply to so many schools?

I wanted to see if there would be a significant difference in what they would give me as transfer credits from my AAS degree. So far there has been some significant variation.

I also noticed that the classes are different. Some are much more/less marketing focused vs. general business focused. And the way classes are handled are different at different schools. 

I liked the idea of a NJ school originally since I thought they might be more helpful with any internship or job placement services since they are nearby. I don't know if this is really going to make a difference though and I think William Patterson which has a good reputation might be a little spendy and take longer.

In all cases I was able to apply without any application fee so there was really no loss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes javabeanstudio's post:
  • Vle045
Have you listed out what courses you've completed? I don't see them in this thread. With an AAS you could easily complete UMPI in 6 months or less even with needing to take some classes from ACE partners. We can get you really close to the 90 transfer credits no problem. Internships are tough with online programs. They're not super common for some reason. Job placement is also tricky with online programs. There are people on LinkedIn who run businesses where they help with your resume, interviews, setting up your LinkedIn profile to hiring, etc. Something to really consider.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia to TESU Carnation 3 468 12-27-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Sophia Intro to Networking Transfer Niketay 11 995 08-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia US Gov for Civic Engagement GE? PLEX 3 499 07-31-2023, 02:58 AM
  Duplicating a Sophia Class dillpickles 8 479 07-11-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: dillpickles
  SOPHIA ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE TRANSFER HELP mt_1994 5 773 05-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Confirmation Sophia's American Government transferred into TESU as POS-110 CanICode 3 618 05-16-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: jeremyminni
  Sophia programming course gams007 0 447 03-15-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 575 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  Sophia Intro to Nutrition Insert Name 15 1,943 11-14-2022, 12:09 PM