Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior and the MGIB
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let the servicemembers out there know that the enrollment, annual, and graduation fees at Excelsior College can be paid for by the Montgomery GI Bill. I did not know about it until a few months after I enrolled, but fortunately I was not too late to apply for it.

There's a pdf file on Excelsior's website titled "Veterans Administration Benefits Summary" that explains how to apply for it. When I first enrolled in the college, I was expecting to pay $1400 out-of-pocket to enroll and to graduate but I'll end up paying nothing (well, I did pay $1200 for the MGIB itself).

Anyways, don't let your benefits slip by...
kaoj Wrote:Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let the servicemembers out there know that the enrollment, annual, and graduation fees at Excelsior College can be paid for by the Montgomery GI Bill. I did not know about it until a few months after I enrolled, but fortunately I was not too late to apply for it.

There's a pdf file on Excelsior's website titled "Veterans Administration Benefits Summary" that explains how to apply for it. When I first enrolled in the college, I was expecting to pay $1400 out-of-pocket to enroll and to graduate but I'll end up paying nothing (well, I did pay $1200 for the MGIB itself).

[SIZE="4"]What an excellent benefit for those who have served the colors!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
kaoj Wrote:Hello Everyone,

As an active duty service member (US Navy), I only needed to pay the $150 fee for my AA from Excelsior (this covered enrolment and graduation). For my BS, I paid the $175 enrolment fee and will need to pay the $175 for graduation, for a grand total of $500. I have been enrolled at Excelsior for over a year and was told by both Navy College and Excelsior that the annual enrolment fee is waved for Active Duty. I saw where they list a discount, but never really asked why I didn't have to pay it once I was told it was waved.

For active duty we pay:
AA: $150.00 <-- Enrolment and Grad Fee
BS: $350.00 <-- Enrolment and Grad Fee
Credit Hour: $205 <-- $615 per class (TA covers $4500 per year)
Annual Fee: None
CLEP/DSST/ECE: Free

$500 is a lot of money, but broken up into four payments, I didn't find it worth dipping into my MGIB.

Are there any Military out there that are paying the Annual Fee?
Scott

Intro to Sociology
US History I
Civil War & Reconstruction
American Dream
Social Science & History

121 Credits total <--- All Done! ! ! ! !

AAT Technical Studies Excelsior College
(Grad Date 6/16)
BS in Liberal Studies Excelsior College
(September 2006)
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Just on a side note, I think that it is terrific that active vets get such a tremendous education benefit yet as a policeman for the last 25 years, serving everyday on the frontlines here at home, there are no such benefits extended.

Like I said, just a side note and I feel that all the members of the five branches continue to receive this dynamic benefit - so take advantage of it!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Cold_navy Wrote:As an active duty service member (US Navy), I only needed to pay the $150 fee for my AA from Excelsior (this covered enrolment and graduation). For my BS, I paid the $175 enrolment fee and will need to pay the $175 for graduation, for a grand total of $500. I have been enrolled at Excelsior for over a year and was told by both Navy College and Excelsior that the annual enrolment fee is waved for Active Duty. I saw where they list a discount, but never really asked why I didn't have to pay it once I was told it was waved.

For active duty we pay:
AA: $150.00 <-- Enrolment and Grad Fee
BS: $350.00 <-- Enrolment and Grad Fee
Credit Hour: $205 <-- $615 per class (TA covers $4500 per year)
Annual Fee: None
CLEP/DSST/ECE: Free

$500 is a lot of money, but broken up into four payments, I didn't find it worth dipping into my MGIB.

Are there any Military out there that are paying the Annual Fee?

Did you take any courses from Excelsior? My understanding is that you have to take several courses from them in order to qualify for the lower fees. Although I've taken several Excelsior exams to finish my degree, I did not take any courses from them.
I've been enrolled for over two years with Excelsior and have paid 100% out of my pocket. I'm an AF education and training manager and we do not know of any discounts for active duty folks but you can bet I'll check first thing Wednesday morning. I'll post what I find out.
scottcop1 Wrote:I've been enrolled for over two years with Excelsior and have paid 100% out of my pocket. I'm an AF education and training manager and we do not know of any discounts for active duty folks but you can bet I'll check first thing Wednesday morning. I'll post what I find out.

Dude if your Active Duty you get free exams, free clep and dantes, and a discounted price on all courses! Plus you get tuition assistance.

On a side note, you can use your GI bill to pay for any education whether it be excelsior or a local university. You just have to prove your going to school fulltime.
Houston, Texas
B.S. - Liberal Arts, Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 720 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 908 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 613 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 542 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 3,069 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,741 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  DEAC acquires Excelsior & UMPI accepts NA credits! bjcheung77 10 2,611 05-03-2022, 12:25 PM
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,510 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Excelsior advisor mistake dfwdegree 9 1,663 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  Referral code for COSC or Excelsior NeverDone 7 2,038 11-14-2019, 02:25 AM
Last Post: NeverDone