Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Roadmap - B.S. in I.T. (Network Operations)
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and the whole "Credit By Examination" process. I have spent the last few days really digging around trying to find as much information that i could on the matter because i have reached a point in my life within the last year that has me really depressed about my professional career choices, or lack their of. I am the type of person that when i get that hunger for something, there is no stopping me. I have 3 kids and a wife that i love very much and nothing means more to me then to provide and care for them the best way imaginable. Education and a Career path is exactly what i need to create wealth in my personal and professional life. I have been on computers since i was 12 years old and it finally hit me one day, i just need to make a career out of it. I want to emphasize my education on Networking, the only problem is as much research as i have done, as many puzzle pieces i have found, i just cant seem to put them all together. I need help or a point in the right direction, links, articles, anything to help me complete my curriculum, and start my journey. I have printed out the BS for IT degree plan as well as the list of applicable tests from the catalogs at Excelsior; However, other then the CMP-354 Networking Technology Exam through TESCEP i haven'f found any information. Maybe i have and i just didn't realize it.
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology(Network Operations)

Core Requirements
Object-Oriented Programming (C# please)
Computer Systems Architecture
Operating Systems
Data Communications and Networking (CMP-354 applied here?)
Database Concepts
Overview of Computer Security
Project Management
Web Design and Development
System Administration
IT 495 Integrated Technology Assessment (capstone)

Concentration Requirements
Advanced Networking
Networking Operations
Wireless Technology
Telecommunication Management
Network Systems Design and Management

Also i plan on using my 12 elective credits on 4 Upper Level IT subjects.

Again i thank anyone who has taken the time to read this, help me, and acknowledge my position in life. I appreciate all feedback and again, Thank You and good luck to all who are on similar journeys as mine.
Welcome! A lot of our members these days do IT through Thomas Edison via the BSBA in CIS, but that doesn't mean it is better or worse than Excelsior. If you use that as BSBA CIS as your search term, you will probably find a lot of useful info and I'm sure much of it will overlap with your degree plan. Hopefully a member who has completed one of these degrees will chime in to better help you.

Make sure to check out the degreeforum wikia page for degree plans and other great info.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Most of these requirements are not test-out-able, unfortunately. There are some courses through different places where you can get credit at Excelsior, but I would have someone there help me with the equivalencies before I jumped into a course with both feet.

CSU-Global has 3 computer exams ($250 each):
Information Systems Design and Management MIS300EX (3 credits)
Information Systems Analysis and Design MIS350EX (3 credits)
Cloud Computing and Big Data MIS440EX (3 credits)

Sophia.org has Project Management ($329 but has coupons regularly)

Strayer has some challenge exams, although no one is quite sure if they will transfer those if you don't take a course with them (they are $20 each and there used to be MANY more):
CIS 107 Microcomputer Applications
CIS 276 SQL Programming
CIS 324 Computer Ethics
CIS 333 Networking Security Fundamentals

Straighterline has C++

Penn Foster may have some courses (check through ACE to make sure they're current)

Other than that, you will have to take these courses through other sources (probably Excelsior), which will not be cheap.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've heard Excelsior accepts IT certifications as credit. You might contact them and see what equivalencies there are for things like the CompTIA Security+ exam. Study material and an exam voucher would be far less than paying for the course at Excelsior and it will look good for a future career in IT.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 2,056 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,421 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,383 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,427 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 1,057 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,380 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,887 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,390 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 4,042 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 2,067 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn