Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
En 113 nmjc
Loved this class. I'd say my writing skills are pretty up to par, but I learned a lot in this class! It's conducted entirely on Canvas, in modules with almost daily writing assignments, which usually consist of reading 2 or more articles and answering one of several questions in a paragraph, which is submitted for the whole class to read. Lots of class interaction, as you are required to critique and be critiqued by other students.

The professor Dallas Hulsey answers emails/Canvas messages promptly and is very willing to help, and gives very helpful feedback on assignments. The main thing in this class is to follow the instructions. The students who seemed to struggle usually had a hard time with reading comprehension or following the (very clear) instructions, so don't overlook the lectures (both in video and text format) and Softchalk lessons. The reading assignments assigned were thought-provoking and relevant to education and current issues, and I think some of us on this board may find them interesting especially as Hulsey leans towards a autodidact/homeschool/John Holt point of view (while encouraging fair and open discussion).

Keep yourself on track by checking the deadlines frequently and knowing exactly what needs to be turned in when. Canvas can be a little bit confusing when it comes to viewing the "flow" of the modules but Hulsey posts additional announcements for upcoming deadlines, which helps. This is all that comes to mind right now, but if anyone has questions let's see if I can answer them.

Only regret is that time didn't allow me to take EN123. It was a great experience.
AA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Dec. 2012
BA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Sept. 2013
16 CLEPs, 6 DSSTs, 12 FEMAs, and a handful of B&M lab science courses
120/120 credits DONE :hurray:

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”
I'm glad you posted this.

I think of the CC's in New Mexico as a great untapped resource. NMJC in particular has a great mix of low cost, extensive online course selection, 8 or 16 week terms, and friendly staff that should make them a real "go to" option for many people.

I'm glad you found the time to post this!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Sorry for bumping this old post but I wanted to add that I am currently taking Dr. Hulsey's English 113 and absolutely love it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NMJC total fees gams007 22 3,068 12-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  In-state tuition at NMJC through WUE (for residents of some Western states) wow 3 1,650 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  NMJC vs UNE Science Prereqs? Cheeseburrito 28 8,471 02-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Zetineb
  NMJC and Luna questions Tennesseegirl87 14 3,676 08-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  NMJC proctoring homeschoolmom1 2 1,755 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Nmjc publius2k4 2 921 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: publius2k4