Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU Degree Cost?
I am a homeschooling mom and I have 2 teens who are working on a BS in Liberal Arts. We decided on EU due to their minimum age requirement (16) and credit transfer allowance. We are using Sophia ($600/year) and CLEP (free through Modern States) for the majority of their credits. They will then complete their UL courses, most likely through Study, and then transfer everything to EU. They will finish up by taking the 7 credits that EU requires. We are a military family, which would allow for a discount through EU for their courses. Tuition is $250 per credit, Tech Fee is $20 per course exam, the academic service fee is waived, and then the graduation fee is $125. 

So if they complete all of their Sophia credits in one year ($600) and then take one month (trying to be realistic) for each UL course through Study ($200), the total cost that I am calculating is 

CLEP $0
Sophia $600
Study $200 x 6 = $1200
EU $250x7 + $20x3 + 125= $1935

Total: $3,735

*Note that they will have 2 UL courses already done through Sophia (Web Development & Principles of Management) and 2 UL courses through EU (cornerstone and capstone), so they will only have 6 UL courses left. If there are any other ways to earn UL credits, other than Study, that are cheaper, but still manageable, please let me know. 

I have not factored in the cost associated with transferring credit, as I do not know what that would be. If I am unaware of any other fees that may be associated with completing their degree, or if the information that I have gathered is not complete, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes NBM123's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-17-2022, 11:22 AM)NBM123 Wrote: Study $200 x 6 = $1200

If you use the discount code for 30% off the first three months, you can subtract $180 from this, and for every two extra courses they complete, subtract another $60. For example, if they complete all 12 courses in three months, the total will be $840.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
We don't know for sure, but it is possible that Coursera might offer some UL credits that might work for the BALS. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera

If you're trying to save money, though, you might want to skip these unless/until someone reports the Excelsior equivalencies. Unless your kids have an interest in the subject matter, that is. Most of the Coursera certs/specializations can probably be completed in a month, maybe two, which puts them as potentially being cheaper than SDC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Also, keep in mind that if you transfer in 60+ credits your Cornerstone will also be UL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(08-17-2022, 11:33 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 11:22 AM)NBM123 Wrote: Study $200 x 6 = $1200

If you use the discount code for 30% off the first three months, you can subtract $180 from this, and for every two extra courses they complete, subtract another $60. For example, if they complete all 12 courses in three months, the total will be $840.

Thank you for the heads up! I didn't know about the discount code. They won't be ready for those upper level courses for about a year, so hopefully there will still be some kind of discount that is available at the time they start. Being able to save another few hundred dollars would be great, although I know that we are getting quite the deal with possibly being able to complete a Bachelor's Degree for under $4000.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NBM123's post:
  • origamishuttle
I'm almost positive that the military discount only kicks in when you take at least 15cr at EU. I'm not 100%, but I know that the other partnership discounts have a 12cr rule. So you will want to double-check that.

Also, the 16yo age is for enrolling, but they can't graduate until after they graduate from HS. I don't think there's a real upside to using EC just for the age thing - but the fact that you're not going to take any RA credit is what makes it work for your family.

I think your math is off as well, the cost would be $270/cr x 7cr = $1890 + $125 = $2015. But that's if you can get the military discount w/just 7cr.

CLEP $0
Sophia $600
Study $200 x 6 = $1200
EU $270x7 + 125= $2015
Total: $3,815

If not, then your math changes (your extra 3 courses at EU would all be UL, leaving just 3 months at Study for the UL courses):

CLEP $0
Sophia $600
Study $200 x 3 = $600
EU $270x16 + 125= $4320
Total: $5520
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
In addition to the info above, you also have options for NCCRS credit for Excelsior. So, you can take a look at Davar Academy, LawShelf, Onlinedegree.com, in addition to the ACE options you currently have. I would focus on the lower level credits with CLEP and ModernStates, along with Sophia.org...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-18-2022, 12:31 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In addition to the info above, you also have options for NCCRS credit for Excelsior.  So, you can take a look at Davar Academy, LawShelf, Onlinedegree.com, in addition to the ACE options you currently have.  I would focus on the lower level credits with CLEP and ModernStates, along with Sophia.org...

My kids will be earning all of their lower level credits with Sophia and CLEP, as that is the most cost effective that I have found. I was under the impression that Study was the least expensive way to gain upper level credits, but I will definitely look into NCCR credits from your recommendations. Thank you!

(08-17-2022, 08:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm almost positive that the military discount only kicks in when you take at least 15cr at EU.  I'm not 100%, but I know that the other partnership discounts have a 12cr rule.  So you will want to double-check that.

Also, the 16yo age is for enrolling, but they can't graduate until after they graduate from HS.  I don't think there's a real upside to using EC just for the age thing - but the fact that you're not going to take any RA credit is what makes it work for your family.

I think your math is off as well, the cost would be $270/cr x 7cr = $1890 + $125 = $2015.  But that's if you can get the military discount w/just 7cr.

CLEP $0
Sophia $600
Study $200 x 6 = $1200
EU $270x7 + 125= $2015
Total: $3,815

If not, then your math changes (your extra 3 courses at EU would all be UL, leaving just 3 months at Study for the UL courses):

CLEP $0
Sophia $600
Study $200 x 3 = $600
EU $270x16 + 125= $4320
Total: $5520

I called military admissions at EU and they told me that there is not a minimum number of credits in order to receive the discount, so that is a bit of a relief. Thank you for correcting my math. I was actually off by a little more, as I would need to include the $20 fee per course exam. 

My kids will have met their graduation requirements (with several extra credits), as well as 60 college credits at the end of this year, at the ages of 13 and 15 years old. They have exhausted all high school level courses, so there is nothing more for them to do other than move on to continuing a Bachelor's Degree. I will graduate them from high school (homeschool) before they apply at 16. By that point my now 13 year old will probably have earned enough credits for 2 separate degrees (business and liberal arts). They will apply for one program and take the required EU courses, and then as soon as the receive their degree, they can apply for the other if they so choose. Afterwards, both of my kids will have a couple years to explore more courses, hobbies, skills, business ideas/plans, etc. before starting a Master's Degree (if that is what they choose) or moving out to begin adulthood.
(08-17-2022, 11:22 AM)NBM123 Wrote: ... If there are any other ways to earn UL credits, other than Study, that are cheaper, but still manageable, please let me know. ...

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

History and Political Science

Ice cream: History, Culture, and Economics
(HIS-417) $150.00
In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in Culinary History, Cultural Studies, Food Studies, or History (2/22).

History of Food Trucks
(HIS-304) $150.00
In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in History, Business, Management, Cultural Studies, or Food Studies (5/21).
(08-18-2022, 11:08 AM)NBM123 Wrote: I called military admissions at EU and they told me that there is not a minimum number of credits in order to receive the discount, so that is a bit of a relief. Thank you for correcting my math. I was actually off by a little more, as I would need to include the $20 fee per course exam. 

My kids will have met their graduation requirements (with several extra credits), as well as 60 college credits at the end of this year, at the ages of 13 and 15 years old. They have exhausted all high school level courses, so there is nothing more for them to do other than move on to continuing a Bachelor's Degree. I will graduate them from high school (homeschool) before they apply at 16. By that point my now 13 year old will probably have earned enough credits for 2 separate degrees (business and liberal arts). They will apply for one program and take the required EU courses, and then as soon as the receive their degree, they can apply for the other if they so choose. Afterwards, both of my kids will have a couple years to explore more courses, hobbies, skills, business ideas/plans, etc. before starting a Master's Degree (if that is what they choose) or moving out to begin adulthood.

I would not have your 13yo do 2 degrees; EU doesn't allow for 2 at the same time, and if you want to get a 2nd bachelor's there, you'd need to do 30cr of UL in the major AFTER getting your first degree.  Plus, there is really no reason to get a BLS degree, which is a generic check--the-box degree, after having a business degree.  So just stick with business.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 5 645 03-29-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,307 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,158 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior BS Criminal Justice degree plan new2this 4 867 03-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior business degree plan desireelws50 7 1,446 11-15-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  EU Business Degree Courses NBM123 5 1,153 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM
Last Post: new2this
  Excelsior degree plans on the wiki rachel83az 9 2,302 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior degree info needed debrag 51 7,535 02-13-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: debrag
  Second Degree Policy harrypotter 29 4,739 01-20-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior BS Liberal Arts degree question staxchips1 8 3,340 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21