Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Durham loses funding...
Durham University’s largest donor pulls funding

I find it a little strange for stopping funds just because of COVID restrictions. 
I mean, the UK announced more relaxed rules and will further relax them soon anyways.
Interesting, I wonder if it is because they want to make an excuse of some sort...
Last I heard is that most restrictions have been lifted in the country already!

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/education/20...strictions
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-10-2022, 09:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Durham University’s largest donor pulls funding

I find it a little strange for stopping funds just because of COVID restrictions. 
I mean, the UK announced more relaxed rules and will further relax them soon anyways.
Interesting, I wonder if it is because they want to make an excuse of some sort...
Last I heard is that most restrictions have been lifted in the country already!

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/education/20...strictions

So Durham, like most UK universities, is a state university. The funding was donations for things that are extracurricular in nature. Yoga studios, an art centre, the on-campus bar at his own former undergraduate college (roughly equivalent to what US students would think of as being their dorm) (he literally donated money for a tab so students could drink on his dime lol). The university is allowed to make more strict requirements than the government rules, and many universities have; to include restrictions about in-person use of on-campus bars, art exhibitions and yoga studios. Unlike the US where states can block universities setting more stringent requirements than the government rules, that is not a thing in the UK. The universities are free to set their own restrictions, as long as they meet the governments minimum requirements. The things his money has paid for in the past are currently sat empty while students learn from home; since they are still doing online learning in many courses. Rightfully so, he is probably wondering what the heck he is paying for right now...
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • natshar
Durham has a generally good reputation.  Some of the rankings place Durham in the Top 100 worldwide.   I think they have a very good online MBA program.  They also have a whole raft of research degrees that can often be completed at a distance.
Academic - Durham University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Uwill, mental health platform for institutions gets $30 million in funding bjcheung77 1 494 05-16-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 915 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Higher Education Relief Funding Alpha 0 912 05-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Looking for career training funding for my friend nj593 4 890 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Last Post: nj593