Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dsst technical writing
Ok I have to take the DSST technical writing exam for the BSAST for TESC or I presume I could take their TECEP. Either way I have been taking practice tests through the DOD/MWR Library, I believe it is a Peterson's study resource and I have been getting 75% or above on each test. My last couple tests have actually been over 80%. I know the only way to know if I am ready is to just take the exam, but based upon those scores do all of you feel I would be ready? I have heard it is an easy test, but I just like to be prepared since I have yet to take any credit by examination test. Also about how many questions can I miss? According to ACE a passing score is 46 or above.... So what exactly does that mean? Does that mean I only need to get a 46%? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I really have no idea how DSST exams are scored. I know some have passing scores such as 46 and others have passing scores of 400. Any enlightenment on that situation would be most helpful. Either way thanks for your time.
46 is a scaled score. DSST has a good explanation of the difference between their old scaled scoring system and the one for the refreshed exams (where you see a passing score of 400). Unfortunately I cannot find a link on their website to this printed piece of literature (have a good stock on my shelves though). Here is the explanation (if you can understand it):

Norm-Referenced Standard Setting:
Historically, DSST exams have been scored using a "norm referenced" approach to determine the pass/fail point for each exam. Using a norm-referenced approach, a cut-score is set based on judgments about groups of test takers; essentially, it establishes what proportions of each group should pass or fail. Setting a proportion of candidates to pass or fail means that whether you pass or fail is based on how you perform in relation to others within the group. This method is widely used, especially in education, and the DSST exams that have NOT been refreshed continue to use it today.

Criterion-Referenced Standard Setting:
The new scoring model first applied to refreshed exams in 2008 and 2009 is called "criterion-referenced." This method sets cut scores based on judgments about individual test questions or the test as a whole. It determines how many of the test questions must be answered correctly in order to pass. Criterion-referenced scores are based on how much the examinees know, not how they performed against others in the same pool.
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully getting 80% or higher on these practice tests will suffice. I am kind of tired of waiting to get higher scores on practice tests.
Yeah, they're in the process of moving to a new scoring system, but Technical Writing hasn't transitioned yet. What's nice about the new style is they actually tell you what percentage you need to pass.

http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/D...coring.pdf
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
smf6824 Wrote:Ok. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully getting 80% or higher on these practice tests will suffice. I am kind of tired of waiting to get higher scores on practice tests.
Yes, your scores sound good. I was scoring similarly on the PTs and I passed the DSST with 61.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Thanks. I appreciate all the input. I just want to knock this test out and get it done. Then only 4 more to go (Ethics, Diversity elective, Physics, and Stats)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research sources for writing assignments? GizmoJack 24 99,345 08-21-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: bradonomics
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 171 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 456 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 33,253 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  outlier College Writing II liangju1@asu.edu 4 827 11-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 450 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 956 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,050 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Universal Technical Institute buys Concorde Career Colleges bjcheung77 0 523 05-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,359 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry