Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Sophia's Critical Thinking now satisfy UMPI's objective 2D?
I know Sophia's Critical Thinking did not satisfy UMPI's objective 2D in the past because I emailed to confirm 7 weeks ago, and the response was that only Study's Critical Thinking course satisfies the requirement and Sophia's does not. However, there has been an update to the transfer tool under Credly/ACE showing Critical Thinking transfers as HUM 103. Can anyone confirm that they have successfully transferred, or it is accepted now?
Someone posted on here last week that Sophia's Critical Thinking did not satisfy 2D. HUM103 is going away after Summer 2 so Study's course may no longer work either 2D has 3 options this session at UMPI including a very basic course in graphic design which makes sense as this is a studio art requirement.
(06-28-2023, 11:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Someone posted on here last week that Sophia's Critical Thinking did not satisfy 2D. HUM103 is going away after Summer 2 so Study's course may no longer work either 2D has 3 options this session at UMPI including a very basic course in graphic design which makes sense as this is a studio art requirement.

They confirmed this morning per the database under Credly/Ace it does in fact transfer, however, as others have mentioned summer 2 is the last session HUM 103 is available so it may change after that.
(06-29-2023, 10:26 AM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 11:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Someone posted on here last week that Sophia's Critical Thinking did not satisfy 2D. HUM103 is going away after Summer 2 so Study's course may no longer work either 2D has 3 options this session at UMPI including a very basic course in graphic design which makes sense as this is a studio art requirement.

They confirmed this morning per the database under Credly/Ace it does in fact transfer, however, as others have mentioned summer 2 is the last session HUM 103 is available so it may change after that.

This course has been listed twice in the transfer database with 2 totally different courses. We've talked about this course on here several times over the last few weeks. It had some weird things going on. It transferred as a business course at one point which made no sense. Who is they?
(06-29-2023, 12:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

This course has been listed twice in the transfer database with 2 totally different courses. We've talked about this course on here several times over the last few weeks. It had some weird things going on. It transferred as a business course at one point which made no sense. Who is they?

By 'they' I meant UMPI, but specifically Jessica confirmed I can take Critical thinking on Sophia for HUM 103 per the Credly/ACE transfer database.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Infinite-Telephone52's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-29-2023, 12:16 PM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:

By 'they' I meant UMPI, but specifically Jessica confirmed I can take Critical thinking on Sophia for HUM 103 per the Credly/ACE transfer database.

This is interesting because someone last week posted that they were told no this course couldn't be applied to 2D.
(06-29-2023, 01:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 12:16 PM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:

This is interesting because someone last week posted that they were told no this course couldn't be applied to 2D.

That definitely could have been me. I posted that I was told only Study's Critical thinking satisfies the requirement and Sophia's does not. Then I saw on a FB group someone said it does cover 2D. I also saw on this forum the UMPI database has a separate section from Credly/ACE and when I checked Critical thinking was shown to transfer as HUM 103. So, I then inquired at UMPI again citing the Credly/ACE equivalency and they replied that it must have been updated and it will transfer if I take it at Sophia.
This thread is amusing because we are discussing Critical Thinking, which encompasses logical fallacies.

It would be somewhat of a logical fallacy to claim that Study.com's Critical Thinking is significantly different from Sophia's Critical Thinking. The question then arises: why would these two courses be distinct?

Let's consider the 2D requirement, which states, "Students will be able to produce a tangible expression of creativity." It includes courses such as drawing, sculpture, and photography, which are creative subjects.

However, it also includes HUM 103 - Creative Decision Making, which involves developing a creative solution to a historical, social, ethnic, economic, technological, and/or geographic problem. This description does not quite align with Sophia's/Study.com's course.

Nevertheless, it later mentions, "Emphases include one's own thought process, bias, critical-thinking methodologies and critical-thinking standards, information gathering, and analysis," which does correspond to Sophia's/Study.com's course.

To ensure a smooth transfer, it is advisable to seek preapproval for this course from Jessica before enrolling in it.

If enough of us persist, UMPI might eventually relent and facilitate the transfer of Sophia's Critical Thinking course without any future complications.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-29-2023, 09:30 PM)LevelUP Wrote: This thread is amusing because we are discussing Critical Thinking, which encompasses logical fallacies.

It would be somewhat of a logical fallacy to claim that Study.com's Critical Thinking is significantly different from Sophia's Critical Thinking. The question then arises: why would these two courses be distinct?

Let's consider the 2D requirement, which states, "Students will be able to produce a tangible expression of creativity." It includes courses such as drawing, sculpture, and photography, which are creative subjects.

However, it also includes HUM 103 - Creative Decision Making, which involves developing a creative solution to a historical, social, ethnic, economic, technological, and/or geographic problem. This description does not quite align with Sophia's/Study.com's course.

Nevertheless, it later mentions, "Emphases include one's own thought process, bias, critical-thinking methodologies and critical-thinking standards, information gathering, and analysis," which does correspond to Sophia's/Study.com's course.

To ensure a smooth transfer, it is advisable to seek preapproval for this course from Jessica before enrolling in it.

If enough of us persist, UMPI might eventually relent and facilitate the transfer of Sophia's Critical Thinking course without any future complications.

There are other courses from Sophia and Study that don't transfer to UMPI as the same thing. Study in particular has several courses that don't transfer at all. Some do only transfer as an elective. 

HUM103 is going away in the fall so Critical Thinking from any provider may not be accepted once the move to Brightspace happens. It will be interesting to see what changes and what UMPI will offer to fulfill 2D.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 81 57 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 17 1,155 Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 23 1,623 09-25-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  UMPI Accounting Assistance NewbieLearner 9 340 09-24-2024, 08:51 PM
  Coursera Google PM Cert to UMPI dm.hans32 0 148 09-20-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 531 09-19-2024, 08:25 PM
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 583 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 902 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 93,186 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 753 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger