Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Help, please! Excelsior BSLA!
(07-11-2020, 11:35 AM)TorsMama Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 11:18 AM)TwinMom Wrote: For a BS degree at Excelsior, if you transfer in 60+ credits, your Cornerstone will be UL.  I'd check with your advisor and make sure they are taking that into account.  Then you'd need one less UL class!

Yes they have me down for the UL Cornerstone.
They are saying you still need 27 MORE UL credits.  27 + Cornerstone and Capstone = 33 UL credits. So I would clarify with them.  Please let us know what you find out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(07-11-2020, 11:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 11:13 AM)TorsMama Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 10:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote: According to the Map, you need 18 UL cr in Liberal Arts, 3 cr LL and 12 cr UL in any thing - doesn't have to be Liberal Arts, but it can be. How many credits did you transfer in? You also need the Info Lit, Cornerstone, and Capstone which everyone ie required to take there.

I posted all that info  about transferring credits in my first post Smile The Corner, Capstone, and Info Lit DO COUNT towards those credits needed correct?

If you're completing your bachelor's degree both Cornerstone and Capstone will be an UL course. You will need to ask your advisor if they will count towards your UL reqs.

I did last week. They are very slow in communication. I have not heard back.
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
(07-13-2020, 09:10 AM)TorsMama Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 10:39 AM)ss20ts Wrote: According to the Map, you need 18 UL cr in Liberal Arts, 3 cr LL and 12 cr UL in any thing - doesn't have to be Liberal Arts, but it can be. How many credits did you transfer in? You also need the Info Lit, Cornerstone, and Capstone which everyone ie required to take there.

I posted all that info  about transferring credits in my first post Smile The Corner, Capstone, and Info Lit DO COUNT towards those credits needed correct?

If you're completing your bachelor's degree both Cornerstone and Capstone will be an UL course. You will need to ask your advisor if they will count towards your UL reqs.

Yes their advisors can be VERY slooooooow. I always had to wait a week to a week and a half for a response when I would email them. It turned me off so much that I looked elsewhere.

Did they give you an answer?
Composition Modular- 52 (3 cr)
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 52 (6 cr)
College Composition- 50 (6 cr)
(08-09-2020, 07:56 PM)mrskitty Wrote:

Did they give you an answer?

Cornerstone B: Pathways will be leveraged against your 2.66 Credits "any academic area lower level" It's weird but there is no "academic area" for the cornerstone as its not math, english, science, etc. You do not need any additional lower level coursework. The MAP is segregated into different requirements but the courses can be applied in different rows. IE: Cornerstone is a 3.00 credit course, it will remove the requirement under "Cornerstone" and it will also remove the requirement of 2.66 in "any academic area" bringing both rows to 0.00. They are different requirements accomplished by the same task, that why they specify "Totals listed above must include the following."

Secondly, you require a total of 18.00 UL Arts and Science credits, Excelsior considers arts and sciences to be humanities, art, natural sciences, music, social sciences, etc. These classes are not things such as Operations Management ACE courses under DAU for example. In order to meet your A&S requirements I would look at Coopersmith as I was able to get my advisor to approve a few courses like the drug and human behavior, substance abuse etc. 

I am not in a BSLA but in a BSNS with excelsior so I cant speak to if the capstone is considered an A&S credit. For my situation, In comparison with your UL Arts and Sciences you require 9 UL in "any academic area" your capstone will fill 3.00 credits of this but will not fill the requirements for the A&S portion. For instance if you took 15.00 credits of UL Arts and Sciences you would have a remaining balance of 3.00 UL A&S credits and your advisor would apply 6.00 of those to your "any academic area" leaving a balance of 3.00. Your capstone then would apply to the "Any academic area" but not the UL A&S and you would have to take an extra UL A&S to meet the remaining 3.00 credits. IF in fact the capstone is counted as an A&S for you then this last paragraph is irrelevant but that is not something I have the ability to answer, best to speak to your advisor.

[-] The following 1 user Likes BBryant165's post:
  • degreeseeker9

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! Degree Plan skinmasksean 7 543 Yesterday, 09:55 PM
Last Post: asnopya
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 426 09-24-2024, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 228 09-24-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 351 09-23-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 306 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 306 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 224 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 606 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 329 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 351 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77