Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Help, please! Excelsior BSLA!
This may be a bit lengthy. I am wanting a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts at Excelsior. My situation: EC is the ONLY school that accepts my film school credits, so I am going with them. I am low income and need to use a Pell Grant to cover as much of the college costs as possible, including fees. 

This is what I have completed so far:

Sophia (43 total counted credits):
English Comp 1
English Comp 2
US Hist 1
Intro to Ethics

Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Approaches to Studying Religion
Art History 1

Art History 2
Environmental Science

Intro to Business
College Algebra
Visual Communication

Essentials of Managing Conflict

Oral Roberts University (total counted 14 credits):
Biology Lecture and Lab
FUNDAMENTALS OF ACTING
INTRODUCTION TO THEATRE
HEALTH FITNESS I
CHARISMATIC LIFE & HEALING

Full Sail University (30.34 total counted credits)
All Lower Levels credits in Film

Coopersmith (3 UL counted credits)

Foundations of Stress Management

TOTAL LOWER-LEVEL CREDITS: 87.34
TOTAL UPPER-LEVEL CREDITS: 3
TOTAL CREDITS BROUGHT IN: 90.34

Excelsior says I need:

Art & Sciences Upper Level: 18
Applied Arts & Sciences Lower Level: 2.66
Applied Arts & Sciences Upper Level: 9
Totals listed above must include the following requirements:
Cornerstone (3)
Capstone (3)
Info Literacy (1)

THIS IS SO CONFUSING. Does this mean I need to take an extra Sophia class to cover that 2.66  lower level credits? My guess is that 6 of the UL applied arts and sciences will be Corner/Capstone, correct? So I will need 21 more UL credits.

I am thinking maybe Coopersmith will be the fastest way to get those UL credits. I took the Stress Management course and passed with a 90% in about 2 weeks and NO writing essays. I am signed up for Abnormal Psychology too but haven't really started yet.

UL Classes I'm considering:
TEEKS Death Investigation

Coopersmith Abnormal Psychology PSY-302

Coopersmith Drugs, Society, and Human Behavior (PSY-305)

Coopersmith Physiological Psychology (PSY-303)

Coopersmith Early Childhood Curriculum (ECE-301)

Coopersmith Literacy Development (ECE-320)

Coopersmith Creative Arts in the Classroom (ECE-350) or Coopersmith Family Therapy (PSY-306)

I'd love any feedback on these or others that would be easy.

I need to do all this as cheaply as possible. Also, I know that I do NOT have time to take all 6 Excelsior credits this semester (unless it's WAY less work than I imagine. If it's lots of essays, I have to wait til next summer. Also, my guess is I am sure I cannot take the Capstone PRIOR to getting all my UL credits in, correct? I teach at my kids' co-op and homeschool four kids during the school year. I have no idea what this will do to wait- will I incur lots of fees?) Please help!!
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
I don't know how EC works, but at TESU you're better off taking 2 courses in a single term, and then 2 more in the next term (so like July and October) and then you're considered a FT student there, and will get the full Pell grant. I think EC is going to be similar since they have 8week terms (so basically you need 12cr per half-year).

Also, at EC, you don't have to pay the $1095 enrollment fee if you do 12cr through them, and you get a break on tuition, so it turns out to be about $500 more overall, but almost all of the total is covered by the Pell grant because it's all tuition. As opposed to the enrollment fee not being covered by the Pell. It's a better option overall.

I do not know what EC brings Coopersmith courses in as, so I would get those pre-approved if possible before taking them.
---------------------
For the previous degree plan I did for you, you left off Visual Communications, Intro to Business, and US History I - did you not complete those?

Last, you need 30cr of UL, and at least 21cr of those must be in the Arts & Sciences. So, I would do at least 4 more UL Psych-type courses from Coopersmith, and then you're free to take the remaining 3 UL courses in whatever you want.

And yes, if you bring things in that aren't a full 3cr (like Full Sail's courses are all wonky), you have to make up the number of credits. But, I show the correct number of things on the degree plan I did for you, so I'm not certain how better to answer your questions than to have you go back and look at that degree plan, and see if it matches up with EC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-10-2020, 12:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't know how EC works, but at TESU you're better off taking 2 courses in a single term, and then 2 more in the next term (so like July and October) and then you're considered a FT student there, and will get the full Pell grant.  I think EC is going to be similar since they have 8week terms (so basically you need 12cr per half-year).

Also, at EC, you don't have to pay the $1095 enrollment fee if you do 12cr through them, and you get a break on tuition, so it turns out to be about $500 more overall, but almost all of the total is covered by the Pell grant because it's all tuition.  As opposed to the enrollment fee not being covered by the Pell.  It's a better option overall.

I do not know what EC brings Coopersmith courses in as, so I would get those pre-approved if possible before taking them.
---------------------
For the previous degree plan I did for you, you left off Visual Communications, Intro to Business, and US History I - did you not complete those?

Last, you need 30cr of UL, and at least 21cr of those must be in the Arts & Sciences.  So, I would do at least 4 more UL Psych-type courses from Coopersmith, and then you're free to take the remaining 3 UL courses in whatever you want.

And yes, if you bring things in that aren't a full 3cr (like Full Sail's courses are all wonky), you have to make up the number of credits.  But, I show the correct number of things on the degree plan I did for you, so I'm not certain how better to answer your questions than to have you go back and look at that degree plan, and see if it matches up with EC.

Ugh. I totally missed listing Vis Com and Intro to Business & US Hist. I thought I did. Weird. Added. 

You can get the Pell Grant if you do 6 cr in one semester. But what I am saying is that I don't think I CAN do that until my other ULs are finished, right? So I should wait on enrolling? Plus taking 12 CR through them when I only NEED to take 7 seems like it would be more expensive since classes are $410 per credit hour. UNLESS Pell Grant doesn't cover fees, which I thought they did. I am confused. I also do NOT have time to take 2-3 classes per semester until next summer unless they don't require lots of essay writing.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Cornerstone and Capstone do not count towards anything. Look at your MyMap. It will list out everything you need.
Yeah most schools you can't do the capstone until all/most of your degree is done. So you will have to wait on that. I'd consider doing both the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. The cornerstone is not meant to be a difficult course it would be doable. Also I'm pretty sure there is a 1 credit course super easy (self-paced?) that you have to take at EC for info lit as well.
So bottom line, i'd just focus on getting the rest of your degree done before doing capstone/cornerstone.

If you are getting financial aid for your cheapest option might be taking 13 credits at EC. Especially since you already must take 7, just add 6 more credits. The only thing is in order to get aid, I don't know if you can take only 3 credits at a time. And if you can the money wouldn't be very much. So it might be more sense to take 6 credits at a time. So you'd probably have to do 2 terms with 6 credits each term. And if the the 1 credit self-paced course is still required then just throw that in to any semester. But I heard it can be completed in a few days or less. So just something to think about doing 13 credits at EC. I'd look into that option.

https://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-fina...rgraduate/

Be sure to get in as many sophia as possible: https://excelsior.sophia.org/#courses
Here is a list so you don't forget any. You just have to sign up by July 31 to get them free not complete them. Meeting the 120 and shouldn't be difficult if you do sophia.
(07-10-2020, 02:11 PM)natshar Wrote: Yeah most schools you can't do the capstone until all/most of your degree is done. So you will have to wait on that. I'd consider doing both the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. The cornerstone is not meant to be a difficult course it would be doable. Also I'm pretty sure there is a 1 credit course super easy (self-paced?) that you have to take at EC for info lit as well.
So bottom line, i'd just focus on getting the rest of your degree done before doing capstone/cornerstone.

If you are getting financial aid for your cheapest option might be taking 12 credits at EC. Especially since you already must take 6-7. The only thing is in order to get aid, I don't know if you can take only 3 credits. And if you can the money wouldn't be very much. So it might be more sense to take 6 credits at a time. So you'd probably have to do 2 terms with 6 credits each term. And if the the 1 credit self-paced course is still required then just throw that in to any semester. But I heard it can be completed in a few days or less. So just something to think about doing 12 credits at EC. I'd look into that option.

Also anyone know if the 1 credit info lit is still a thing or not?

Be sure to get in as many sophia as possible: https://excelsior.sophia.org/#courses
Here is a list so you don't forget any. You just have to sign up by July 31 to get them free not complete them.

At EC, Cornerstone and Capstone CANNOT be completed at the same time. However, you can take them both in the same semester. You complete Cornerstone and Info Lit in session A and Capstone in session B of the same semester. Yes, 1 cr Info Lit is still a requirement at EC.

I'd look at Study.com and see what courses you can complete there which would transfer for UL liberal arts. What area are you concentrating on? Or is it just general liberal arts?
(07-10-2020, 02:11 PM)natshar Wrote: Yeah most schools you can't do the capstone until all/most of your degree is done. So you will have to wait on that. I'd consider doing both the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. The cornerstone is not meant to be a difficult course it would be doable. Also I'm pretty sure there is a 1 credit course super easy (self-paced?) that you have to take at EC for info lit as well.

If you are getting financial aid for your cheapest option might be taking 13 credits at EC. Especially since you already must take 7, just add 6 more credits. The only thing is in order to get aid, I don't know if you can take only 3 credits at a time. And if you can the money wouldn't be very much. So it might be more sense to take 6 credits at a time. So you'd probably have to do 2 terms with 6 credits each term. And if the the 1 credit self-paced course is still required then just throw that in to any semester. But I heard it can be completed in a few days or less. So just something to think about doing 13 credits at EC. I'd look into that option.

Here is a list so you don't forget any. You just have to sign up by July 31 to get them free not complete them. Meeting the 120 and shouldn't be difficult if you do sophia.
I shouldn't need any more Sophia courses unless they are saying that 2.66 LL still left doesn’t count Cornerstone or Info Lit. In that case, I will finish US Hist I already mostly have done (just need to finish two milestones and the final). Any other Sophia is js extra which I do not want to waste time on. 

I guess if I knew financial aid could cover those 12 credits I can do that.. but not until next summer. Unless their UL courses are easy, I just don't have the time to write multiple essays for 6 classes. Sad

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
(07-10-2020, 02:14 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

If you are getting financial aid for your cheapest option might be taking 12 credits at EC. Especially since you already must take 6-7. The only thing is in order to get aid, I don't know if you can take only 3 credits. And if you can the money wouldn't be very much. So it might be more sense to take 6 credits at a time. So you'd probably have to do 2 terms with 6 credits each term. And if the the 1 credit self-paced course is still required then just throw that in to any semester. But I heard it can be completed in a few days or less. So just something to think about doing 12 credits at EC. I'd look into that option.

Here is a list so you don't forget any. You just have to sign up by July 31 to get them free not complete them.

At EC, Cornerstone and Capstone CANNOT be completed at the same time. However, you can take them both in the same semester. You complete Cornerstone and Info Lit in session A and Capstone in session B of the same semester. Yes, 1 cr Info Lit is still a requirement at EC.

I'd look at Study.com and see what courses you can complete there which would transfer for UL liberal arts. What area are you concentrating on? Or is it just general liberal arts?

I realized the one credit still is a thing. I edited my post.

So this could be a plan:

Session A: cornerstone + 3UL + super easy 1 credit info lit
Session B: capstone + an easy 3UL

Another cheap option would be Saylor. BUT we don't know for sure if/how EC would count Saylor courses, ask first before attempting any. Also, they are pretty difficult tests, not particularly easy to pass. Your whole grade is based on one exam, and you can do the rest of the course, but you don't have to. It costs only $25 to take exam. That being said, if you already know a lot about a subject depending on the course, it might not be too bad. So if you see an UL course that you already know a lot about, it might be worth to at least ask EC if they accept it. And they maybe attempt it, you fail you are only out $25, which is cheaper than coopersmith.

https://www.saylor.org/credit/

Another good option for UL could be Uexcel: https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/choose-your-exam/

I have heard the World Population Exam is Super Easy. Or at least it used to be years ago, maybe they have changed it.

The only issue is you have to take it at a pearson vue test center. A lot of CLEP centers are also pearson view centers also. See if where your son takes his CLEPs are Pearson Vue also.

EC catalog: https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl...4_2019.pdf
start at page 169 it lists all the courses. Then you try to find some that seem interesting/easy.

SDC has lots of long essays. I prefer Coopersmith because of the lack of essays.

(07-10-2020, 02:23 PM)natshar Wrote:

I realized the one credit still is a thing. I edited my post.

So this could be a plan:

Session A: cornerstone + 3UL + super easy 1 credit info lit
Session B: capstone + an easy 3UL

Another cheap option would be Saylor. BUT we don't know for sure if/how EC would count Saylor courses, ask first before attempting any. Also, they are pretty difficult tests, not particularly easy to pass. Your whole grade is based on one exam, and you can do the rest of the course, but you don't have to. It costs only $25 to take exam. That being said, if you already know a lot about a subject depending on the course, it might not be too bad. So if you see an UL course that you already know a lot about, it might be worth to at least ask EC if they accept it. And they maybe attempt it, you fail you are only out $25, which is cheaper than coopersmith.

https://www.saylor.org/credit/

Another good option for UL could be Uexcel: https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/choose-your-exam/

I have heard the World Population Exam is Super Easy. Or at least it used to be years ago, maybe they have changed it.

The only issue is you have to take it at a pearson vue test center. A lot of CLEP centers are also pearson view centers also. See if where your son takes his CLEPs are Pearson Vue also.

EC catalog: https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl...4_2019.pdf
start at page 169 it lists all the courses. Then you try to find some that seem interesting/easy.

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
Uexcels and Saylor don't require essays.

List of UL Uexcels that could work:

Abnormal Pysch ($365)
Bio ethics ($110)
business ethics (business $110)
cultural diversity ($355)
ethics theory and practice ($355)
Foundations of Gerontology ($355)
Juvenile delinquency ($110)
Labor relations (business coure $110)
organizational behavior (business course $110)
Pathophysiology ($110)
quantitative analysis $110
research methods pysch $110
social psych $110
weather and climate $110
world conflicts since 1990 $110
world population $110

UL from Saylor $25:

Principles of Finance (it is business not liberal arts, but I believe I saw a post somewhere saying this one was pretty easy)
Operations Management (business)
Project Management (business)

Also instantcert has a managerial accounting course that is supposedly ACE recommended UL. But accounting is difficult. If you know accounting and feel confident and EC accepts it is only $20.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 11 608 6 hours ago
Last Post: nbid
  Help! Degree Plan skinmasksean 7 547 09-25-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: asnopya
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 434 09-24-2024, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 237 09-24-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 359 09-23-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 317 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 308 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 226 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 614 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 335 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon