Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST - Principles of Finance advice?
I am looking for tips from those who have recently passed the Principles of Finance Dantes test. I just started using this site last week and the first test I took using this software, Money & Banking, was a failure - 45 (needed 48). So, I have already lost confidence in the software, but am willing to place my faith in people. I have passed many other CELP/DSST tests long before trying this site.
I have purchased one of the reference books, "Fundamentals of Financial Management" (Brigham/Houston) and run through all of the flash cards once. I guess what I am looking for is:

- Was there any topics that were covered more than others?

- Was there another study path you took that you found useful?

- Any other good advice?

Thank you in advance
Usually I say "everything you could want is in the Specific Exam feedback" but for this exam the caveat is most of the feedback thread is about the old version of the exam. The principles haven't changed, but the presentation has. That said, really focus on time value of money and applications of net present value, such as the CAPM. Risk and Return. Many of the questions are framed in relation to stocks, so it makes stocks seem like they are covered a lot on the exam but it's the concepts that matter, studying the stocks chapter alone wont cut it. I too used one of the recommended texts and I'm glad I did. If your book has a site with quizzes, use it. I also took the test after both Econ tests, Financial and Managerial Accounting, which was a good idea, as Finance builds on all of these.

I hate to admit, but for a business major, if there's a core class worth taking as a class Finance may be it.

Phillip

P.S. Money & Banking in 1 week with IC alone was probably a bit much to expect unless you scored high on CLEP Macroeconomics and have a poster of Greg Mankiw on your wall.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
I appreciate the insight. I did look over the "Spec. Exam Feedback" section but had concerns that all of the info seemed to be from 2007 - outdated. I passed the CLEP Macro & Micro tests in early June but did not exactly knock them out of the park. I am looking at a technical degree with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and management will be my minor, so it is not as if I am working towards my MBA. It was a mistake to trust IC too much, too early with M & B though. Thank you for your insight.
MISin08 Wrote:P.S. Money & Banking in 1 week with IC alone was probably a bit much to expect unless you scored high on CLEP Macroeconomics and have a poster of Greg Mankiw on your wall.
No poster on the wall, but I have his blog in my google reader feed.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and a compass and never knows where he may cast" - Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

"The shortest distance between two points is usually under repair." - Anonymous

[SIZE="1"]CLEP/DSST/ACE credits (39), Total costs $1,383
Principles of Management (71), Principles of Supervision (446), Principles of Marketing (76), Management Information Systems (466), Human Resources Management (67), Intro to Computing (465), Environment & Humanity (69), Technical Writing (65), Intro to Business Law (75), Business Law II (80), Principles of Microeconomics (70), American Government (69), Straighterline Accounting II (90%)

[/SIZE]
jjbigred Wrote:I appreciate the insight. I did look over the "Spec. Exam Feedback" section but had concerns that all of the info seemed to be from 2007 - outdated. I passed the CLEP Macro & Micro tests in early June but did not exactly knock them out of the park. I am looking at a technical degree with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and management will be my minor, so it is not as if I am working towards my MBA. It was a mistake to trust IC too much, too early with M & B though. Thank you for your insight.
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Specific Feedback based on date only. Exams aren't updated that often. As for the M&B exam which I took in May this year, the Specific Feedback was SPOT ON as far as what to focus in your study. I already knew from reading the postings that it was one of the hardest exams so that IC alone would not cut it. Not to brag but using this method has been highly successful for me, resulting in a 65 score on the M&B exam (and this is from someone who is not familiar or exactly comfortable with finance-related subjects).

As for the Principles of Finance, although the info may be outdated a little, I would still use the Specific Feedback info, starting from the most recent feedback and working backwards, to use as a foundation for your study. Use the resources mentioned in the threads heavily and you should do fine. FWIW for the more difficult exams like M&B and Principles of Finance, the IC questions serve as a good primer covering only the basics, but the nature of those particular exams require a more indepth type of study requiring comprehension and critical thinking that cannot be taught using multiple choice alone. That is where the Specific Feedback portion of your IC membership is invaluable.

Again, even if the feedback thread seems a bit old, certain subjects don't change all that much in terms of topics covered and at least you know where to direct your focus in study and general expectations of difficulty, which are extremely important to know when studying for broad subjects like finance.

Good luck!
Helen
Excelsior BS Business - summa cum laude
Conferral Date: August 20, 2010
74 credits from classes
48 credits from testing out
Expecting Instacert to work as your only study source is always a mistake. It is a good study aid, but not a replacement for a textbook.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 303 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 168 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  Real? OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance David1477 1 463 06-20-2024, 01:53 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 455 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 968 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 3,000 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,577 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,047 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,365 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,429 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77