Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with spreadsheet for BA Art TESU
Hi there,

I’ve perused here back when I first started picking up some clep cr, and now I’m back and want to work towards actually finishing this degree. Looking at a BA in Art from TESU, with a concentration/focus in graphic design. I have 27 completed gen ed cr, and 20-some cr from an art school. I have yet to see if/how TESU will accept these (ACE) art credits, and plan to take the remaining art credits at a nearby school. Can someone help formulate a plan to finish up my gen ed? I'm not up to speed on all the latest and greatest options for gen ed; back when I started, CLEP and DSST were the main ones everyone used. I’d prefer to take the least intense math course, as it’s not my strong suit; I’ve read that either the math tecep or aleks math is best for this; which one should I do? Seems aleks accreditation status is on shaky ground lately, so I wanted y’alls opinion.

Some other things…I’m about to start the process of applying & enrolling at tesu, and I’m thinking the liberal arts math tecep or computer applications tecep would be a good first tecep choice, given what I’ve read on here. I also applied for study.com’s guardian scholarship, so we’ll see what becomes of that.

I haven’t found that much info on here specifically regarding an Art BA from tesu, so feel free to throw any tips/thoughts/suggestions this way. Also, any thoughts regarding the proposed graphic design direction; it’d be great to hear any pros/cons, logistically and professionally speaking, from anyone who’s gone this route.

Completed gen ed credits:
Humanities CLEP (6)
Social Sciences & His CLEP (6)
A&I Lit (6)
Us His I CLEP (3)
Intro to Molecular & Cellular Biology SAYLOR (3)
Princ of Mgmt CLEP (3)

Thanks a lot!
*bump* ...looking for assistance to fill the gaps in order to finish up my gen ed requirements...
ALEKS isn't on shaky ground, as much as it's probably going to expire. So, if she wanted to take Intermediate Algebra there, she would need to do it by 4/30. Probably not gong to happen if she's weak on math.

Instead, she should look at some other options. If she's interested in the Shmoop courses, she might want to try Finite Math. No idea on how that one transfers in, nor have I heard any feedback on it. But if she's going to take any Lit or History courses there anyway, it's worth a shot. The College Math CLEP is supposed to be fairly easy, although I don't know if it's easier than ALEKS Int. Algebra. There's a Math for Liberal Arts DSST, or the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP.

I did a spreadsheet for the BALS which she can use for the BA in Art. Just do the top half. No business courses count as Gen Ed, so don't take any more of those.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">datdude TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 42.4 KB / Downloads: 6)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
What is your aim with the graphic design minor? Are you looking to be a graphic designer, or something else?
Thanks so much for the spreadsheet, dfrecore!! It's a really big help. I think I have a pretty good idea of where to go from it. And I'll have to check out the Shmoop math; I had forgot about that one.

CarpeDiem8 Wrote:What is your aim with the graphic design minor? Are you looking to be a graphic designer, or something else?

I want to work in the field as a graphic designer; I'm looking at freelance work and/or employee-type graphic design positions. I've also entertained starting my own graphic design firm/enterprise. I also enjoy doing commission art, so I plan to continue doing that on the side.

Thanks again for the awesome help! (and btw, I'm a dude)
datdude Wrote:I want to work in the field as a graphic designer; I'm looking at freelance work and/or employee-type graphic design positions. I've also entertained starting my own graphic design firm/enterprise. I also enjoy doing commission art, so I plan to continue doing that on the side.

Do you have an online portfolio of work already done (logos, websites, banners, email campaigns, print, etc.)? Do you have any experience with basic web programming?

If you have all above, then yeah, a minor in graphic design on your BA would just be a piece of paper at that point. Doubtful you will learn anything you don't already know, so you'll be "ticking the box", which is great and a good avenue. Your portfolio is FAR more important than the BA within the creative field at large, from what I understand.

If you don't know anything about design, then a BA with a major in graphic design from an art school makes better sense, not a minor. Just my 2 cents.

I hope the helps.

D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,460 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,028 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,762 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 4,073 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 3,123 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,608 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,872 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,585 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,780 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,159 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore