Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cutting the Cord
I'm contemplating going Internet only.
I think my ISP is charging me way too much for my bundle. I'm paying for Internet, phone, and TV. I don't use the phone, and I think my TV usage will be satisfied by streaming.
Please share any recommendations regarding Google Chromecast, or other streaming devices

currently I utilize the Internet for general surfing and professional Zoom via my Desktop and android phones (via Wi Fi)
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)
We do have cable, but only in one room. Your choices for streaming are vast and will depend on what you want to watch. I use a Firestick on most of my other TVs and I combine that with rabbit ear antennas. I also have a Tablo so I can record broadcast TV. You attach an antenna to it and get your local channels that way. It’s nice because you can record and pause antenna channels just like cable. Of course, your signal will depend on where you live. I get 45 channels on my antenna. But, I do also have Peacock, Paramout+, Disney Bundle, Apple TV, and Netflix. (A lot give a student discount or are included with my cell phone plan).
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • Charles Fout
I don't have a landline, and I haven't paid for cable in years. I only had cable at my last apartment because it was included free.

I bought an antenna years ago, but I haven't had to use it because my Samsung smartTV offers hundred of channels for free. Prior to that, I paid for Sling TV. There are mainly three types of streaming services: general movies and shows plus exclusive content (Hulu, Prime, and Netflix), focused only on own content (Disney and Wondrium), and cable TV alternative. Cable TV alternatives offer the same channels you'd get on cable. The last time I compared services, Sling TV gave you the most bang for your buck. You can also get a lot of free content via Roku.

The other types of streaming services are annoying and are getting as expensive as cable. Netflix and Hulu are increasingly producing their own content and putting other content on the backburner. In my opinion, most Netflix shows and movies are mediocre. You have to have multiple streaming services to get good coverage. One movie or show you really want to watch could be on Max and other stuff you want to watch could be spread across Showtime, Hulu, etc. For a replacement for live TV plus newer movies, I prefer Peacock over Netflix, Hulu, and Prime TV. Prime TV comes free with an Amazon Prime membership, though. I like Prime for renting new movies, and Peacock, Prime, and Max seem to get the good new releases more quickly than Hulu and Netflix.

My credit card reimburses most of the cost for my Disney bundle, so that's the only reason why I have Disney and Hulu. If you're into educational content, I highly recommend Wondrium, which is changing its name back to The Great Courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Charles Fout, Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu
I think you've already decided to cut the cord on most of the subscription services you don't use. For me, I have two Amazon Firesticks and Amazon Prime, it works wonders with just an internet connection. No need for telephone or TV as I use a cellphone, and use Amazon Prime Video, heck, I even tried their FreeVee (Free TV option). Here's a previous thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid397872
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Charles Fout
We use an antenna for local TV channels. Got rid of the land line several years ago. We use a fire stick and watch Pluto (free), Our cheapest subscription is Hulu (Black Friday sale). My wife has Netflix, Apple TV and Amazon. I am trying to just get her to pay for one of those each month and cycle through them one at a time. If you can stick to one or 2 paid streaming sites you are good.

I am happy enough with local channels on the antenna, Pluto and Hulu. But the wife wants it all. If you have all the streaming services, it just turns back into another form of cable.

Completed:
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
SJC AAS Automotive Technology
Oops. I said Prime TV when I meant Prime Video. I totally forgot that I have Paramount free with my Walmart+ membership.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Charles Fout, Pikachu
If you go with the Fire TV Stick, get the 4k Max one, as that will have 16GB of storage instead of only 8GB.  The OS takes up about 4GB, and some apps like TikTok can take up 1GB by themselves.

You can get a USB OTG Adapter and a micro USB drive to get around storage limitations.

There are many free apps for TV shows and movies, though you can also pay for a service such as YouTube TV to receive cable TV channels.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Charles Fout, Pikachu
There are a few Firestick models - Lite, Regular, 4K and 4K Max. I've got both the Firestick 4K and the 4K Max, the main difference is the CPU and RAM, I use the 4K version for a smaller TV and it works fine, used it for travel purposes too, works great. I don't see much difference between the 4K and the Max, but still, for the price, I'd recommend the max just in case for 'future proof'.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I think Roku is a better experience than Firestick, less advertising pushed in your face. I also get good use out of the Roku phone app streaming the TV audio to my earbuds. Although there's a lot to be said for the simplicity of a TV with the streaming apps directly on board, which I also use.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I use Study.com Premium (not College Saver) as a streaming service. I'll watch, and more so listen to, SDC videos on interesting subjects of my choice in spare moments throughout the day.

Underrated content services it could make sense to pay for: YouTube Premium. SiriusXM: it's not the same value proposition it was before high-speed internet and widespread music streaming, but it reaches many locations high-speed internet doesn't, and its news and sports audio lineups might help you cut the cable cord.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Charles Fout, Pikachu