Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthian colleges are done
Corinthian Colleges to close all remaining campuses - Apr. 26, 2015

Quote:Corinthian's network of for-profit schools once included 100 campuses across the country, where about 74,000 students were enrolled. But since last July, the U.S. Department of Education has forced the company to close or sell off its locations over concerns about its high-interest loans and misleading information.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
I wonder who will be next.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Good, they should be closed. Having students drowning in debt for a worthless piece of paper should be a crime.
Good. These people are predators - aggressively selling shoddy overpriced products to people who don't have the experience to know better.

That said, I'm really hoping the american attitude about education will start turning around. It's true that college *can* improve your employment prospects, but it's not a "get a job guaranteed" card. And "college is good" is not enough of a justification to go gazillions of dollars in debt, just so you can drop out 3/4 of the way through a program in underwater glue sniffing and get your name and face on yahoo news when you start whining about how unfair it all is.

I'm all for the intrinsic value of education, but you can't live in it or eat it so lets be realistic here.
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
they were MAJOR players. 120 campuses at one time I think.
Leherself Wrote:That said, I'm really hoping the american attitude about education will start turning around. It's true that college *can* improve your employment prospects, but it's not a "get a job guaranteed" card. And "college is good" is not enough of a justification to go gazillions of dollars in debt, just so you can drop out 3/4 of the way through a program in underwater glue sniffing and get your name and face on yahoo news when you start whining about how unfair it all is.

I'm all for the intrinsic value of education, but you can't live in it or eat it so lets be realistic here.

If you read between the lines from a lot of our politicians, you'll notice they realize this is not sustainable. They are beginning to push learning a trade or other skill like coding.

I listen to a lot of C-Span ( I love torturing myself), and there was one politician pointing to the fact that a journeyman welder can make $80-100K per year, but parents are pushing their kids into getting $100k degrees for jobs that don't exist. Pres Obama has been pushing coding, and I even heard a third politician speaking of learning to be a mechanic etc.

I've been thinking this for some time, trade schools are dying and colleges are becoming glorified trade schools as employers are unwilling to train.

Working with your hands is honorable, but these schools have been pushing people with no business being in "higher education" in to classes so that the schools can get some of the student loan pie.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Here is a sample of the quality of education that Corinthian and its colleges provided:

An investigation found that Heald College paid temp agencies to hire its graduates to work on its own campuses for as little time as two days so that it could count those students as employed. Heald failed to disclose that its placement rates counted those students whose employment began prior to graduation, and in some cases prior to even enrolling at the school, according to the Department of Education.

It also says Heald College sometimes inaccurately reported on graduates who found a job related to their field of study. In one example, it counted a 2011 accounting graduate who was working at a Taco Bell.
A Corinthian spokesman called the allegations "highly questionable" and "unsubstantiated."

U.S. fines Corinthian Colleges $30 million - Apr. 14, 2015
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 117 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 212 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 463 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 194 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 6,884 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
  Religious Colleges ss20ts 33 3,756 11-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  The Top U.S. Colleges for Partying LevelUP 1 290 10-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Almost no one pays college sticker prices. Colleges are getting real about tution. LevelUP 0 333 10-06-2023, 05:14 PM
  Colleges that Accept Validential adrian052 10 940 09-26-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77