Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about options
Hi there. Not sure if this post is supposed to go here.

A little background: I dropped out of a 4 year college due to financial costs when I was 19 or so. Even though my parents are not paying for college since I am under 24 (I'm now 22) as far as FAFSA is concerned I still have to provide their info and am unable to get aid. So I have been looking for other ways and am interested in the DIY Degre since I don't want to wait anymore.

I am thinking about a Psychology degree but if that's not offered what is? How do I go about getting a DIY Degree? Who do I take the tests with/at? What is a degree/testing plan?

I have been finding a lot of conflicting information online and also been finding scams so I would appreciate any genuine help.
Welcome! I think you'll find plenty of advice here, and would also encourage you to start browsing through past posts... lots of good info and discussions.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
jsd is good about updating the forum wiki Degree Forum Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia, and also shared his BA in Psych story http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...-tesu.html
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:jsd is good about updating the forum wiki Degree Forum Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia, and also shared his BA in Psych story http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...-tesu.html
Jsd also has a degree plan up: JSD's BA in Psychology (after July 1st, 2015) | Degree Forum Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Resist any temptation to pay for a degree plan. We're not aware of anyone who charges that is any good at it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Reading through posts is always helpful - even if it doesn't pertain to your degree in particular, it will still get you used to how things work around here. Start with a post, and read it through from start to finish. Do it about a million times and you will know what in the heck is going on!!!

Another good thing to do is to read the Beginner's Guide: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html Yes, it's already outdated despite only being started a year ago. BUT, it is chock full of information that will help you get started.

You can get a Psychology degree at any of the Big 3, although there will be courses that you cannot test out of, and will have to pay full price for. You can find most of them somewhere other than the Big 3, however. But, even if you pay full price for a couple of courses, being able to test out (or take a course through one of the ACE-recommended or NCCRS-recommended providers) for about $100/course is a steal. You can get the cost down to a very reasonable amount, that you can pay for as you go.

So, check out the Psychology degrees at the Big 3 (TESU, EC and COSC), as well as Patten (competency-based). Thing about the pros and cons, look at the costs of all of them, and keep reading on here to get more information to make the best decision for you.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here; intrigued, slightly confused and overwhelmed jobojoe285 39 3,319 08-26-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,074 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 431 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 2,586 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,354 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 2,460 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Biochemistry options? allvia 13 2,295 05-13-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,538 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant
  Psychology Careers - 9 Options bjcheung77 1 703 04-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Seeking alternative credit options Vle045 15 2,571 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts