Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clep and Dantes Question
I took my first DSST's today and it was $80 per test and a $20 testing fee per test (at Strayer). I have not applied to a school yet but I will be applying to Excelsior later after I get some credits under my belt.

When the lady there was logging me on to take my first test she showed me on the screen where prometric would also be charging a transcription fee because I was not sending the results to a school.

Also when I took my first 2 CLEP tests a few weeks ago, the lady there said I would have to pay a $20 transcription fee, FOR EACH TEST, when I was ready to have those scores sent to a school.

The way I've always understood it was after I racked up some credits thru both CLEP and DANTES and applied to a school, all I had to do was pay one transcription fee (one for CLEP, one for DANTES) and have them send in all of my credits at that time.

Is this correct or am I wrong about this?

Patrick
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
I don't think your proctor knew what she was talking about. Take a look at this link.

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloa...t-form.pdf

At the bottom of the Official CLEP Transcript Request Form, it reads, "There is a fee of $20 for each transcript."

The $20 is per transcript, not per exam. Hope this clears things up. Smile
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
That's what I thought. I didn't want to argue the point with her because I was wiped out from just completing 2 tests. I don't think she'd had anybody take CLEP's and not have somewhere to send the scores to. lol.

As far as today's DSST tests, I think what we saw on the sign-in screen just meant that I would have to pay a fee, at some point, to sent out a transcript to a school, not that prometric was going to charge me $20 for each test I took today because I wasn't sending the scores to a school right then and there. The lady procter also said she hardly ever gave out DSST tests, so she didn't have much experience with them. She did say she wished she known about these tests back when she was in college, it would've saved her a lot of time and money. :p
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
I am currently attending a B&M school, Broward College (formerly Broward Community College), taking mostly online courses, and challenging subjects I know and testing out of 2 classes for $21. They offer CLEP tests through their testing center but no DSSTs.

In the same part of the county as their Central Campus here in Broward County, Florida, is where Nova Southeastern University is and they offer DSST. When I went to take the the first DSST test with NSU, we found out BC does not have a number where they could request DSST submit the score electronically. The test center manager at NSU went above and beyond and checked with BC and then DSST but they only confirmed no number.

I was told though that I could wait 7 to 10 business days to request the transcript to be mailed directly to BC at no additional expense. I did as instructed, they mailed it the same day, it arrived at BCs main office, and 3 days later it was posted to my online BC transcript. Overall time from testing to posting about 2 weeks.

Maybe this will help someone else. They told me at that time that the first one was mailed for free, when the school was not registered with them.

Therefore, I would suggest calling DSST directly to find out specifically in this situation where you have not decided on a school yet, to see what their policy is.

Here is the toll free number they gave me to DSST: 1-877-471-9860.

The first time I called, the person at DSST who helped me stated that they were extremely busy at the time, helping military personnel in Iraq. So, they must have some special situations to help them as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,616 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 335 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 246 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,926 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 478 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,804 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,961 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,805 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 673 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM